Borges provides Jaguar BB material....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I guess the folks in Jax read the Globe and maybe Borges will become one of their favorites also...

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/123105/jag_20695933.shtml

JAGUARS NOTEBOOK: Scanning the Globe may motivate Jags
By VITO STELLINO, The Times-Union
The Jaguars are a popular team in New England right now.
The Boston Globe said in a headline this week that the Patriots fans "should pull for a Jaguars matchup.''
The Globe story contended that the Patriots would be better off playing the Jaguars than the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Jaguars have clinched the fifth seed and will play the fourth seed in the AFC. New England is currently the fourth seed but could move up to third if the Patriots win and Cincinnati loses on Sunday.
Pittsburgh will clinch the sixth seed with a victory over Detroit and would play the third seed.
A Globe columnist said the Steelers are more dangerous than the Jaguars because their defense is healthy and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is healthier than he's been in a month. The columnist also contended the Steelers are more explosive on offense than the Jaguars and said that Jacksonville has a quarterback dilemma.
There's been so much Jaguars-bashing that quarterback Tom Brady defended them to the Globe and said it was an insult to say the Patriots should lose to get a chance to play the Jaguars.
""It's a team that's 11-4. I don't know why Jacksonville gets no respect, but they've beaten some good teams this year,'' Brady said.
All this is likely to give the Jaguars some extra motivation if they play the Patriots in their first playoff game.
Linebacker Mike Peterson said, "I love it'' four times and added: "We can use it as motivation. You really don't need any motivation being that it's playoff time, but we're going to use it as motivation all the way to Detroit [for the Super Bowl].
"I hope everybody wants to play us. Tell them to be patient because they're going to get their chance. We're on the way. We've got to take care of Tennessee and we'll be there shortly.''
Running back Fred Taylor said, "We've been getting knocked around through the course of the year. You watch different shows and no one talks about the Jaguars. That's fine. We don't mind flying under the radar. We're going to make some noise.''

You've got to hate it when Borges actually writes something accurate based on the teams performance and it helps motivate the next opponent. I hope the Jags are reading Borges remarks and getting all pumped up, they might overlook Tommy's remarks which should be a red flag that somebody is taking them very seriously and will be diligently preparing for them.

Box_O_Rocks said:
You've got to hate it when Borges actually writes something accurate based on the teams performance and it helps motivate the next opponent. I hope the Jags are reading Borges remarks and getting all pumped up, they might overlook Tommy's remarks which should be a red flag that somebody is taking them very seriously and will be diligently preparing for them.

Jax is a tough team that doesn't get much respect. Not even that much down here in Florida. And I'm trying to think of any possiblity of them beating the Patriots and I cannot think of one. With all due respect to a 12-4 team, your just not going up Foxboro in January with much hope of winning.

NEM said:
Let us never forget...............ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAY............ Need I say more?

Sure Nem, but we are playing on saturday...........I've never heard them say "on any given saturday"

But seriously folks.....Aren't you all glad we won't have to take on Pitts in the 1st round?

FloridaPatsFan said:
Sure Nem, but we are playing on saturday...........I've never heard them say "on any given saturday"

But seriously folks.....Aren't you all glad we won't have to take on Pitts in the 1st round?
Nope, I'm glad Pittsburgh won't have to take on the Patriots in the first round. The Pats are going to win that meeting, but Pit being a good, hardnosed football team can help us by pounding on the Bengals and whomever else until they arrive in Foxboro for the AFCG.

FloridaPatsFan said:
.....Aren't you all glad we won't have to take on Pitts in the 1st round?

Frankly, I don't really get all this talk about avoiding Pittsburgh. Given the history of these 2 teams, shouldn't it be Pittsburgh who's actually breathing a sigh of relief? Isn't Pittsburgh the team with the mental block about beating the Patriots, rather than vice versa?

I mean, Pittsburgh is a pretty good team, I guess, but if memory serves me correctly, isn't this Patriots team the measuring stick for all others?

And assuming we beat Jaxsonville (oops! was that a typo?), and Pitt beats Cincy, we'll have to face them anyway. And I'm still not concerned!

Unless, of course, you'd be more excited about the prospects of facing Cincy???

We've gotten a lot of our injured guys back in a timely manner. We're not nearly as banged up as a lot of teams in the playoffs.

In a word, I still think this is the team to beat!

Box_O_Rocks said:
Nope, I'm glad Pittsburgh won't have to take on the Patriots in the first round.

I think that both Pittsburgh and the Pats are glad not to be facing each other in the first round. It's almost a "mutual assured destruction" scenario in that matchup. Count the number of Pats players who have been seriously injured in recent Steelers games.

An ideal scenario for both physical northeast teams is to help each other in taking out the "finesse team" side of the AFC bracket and then face each other in yet another AFC Championship game rematch.

Colts fans don't seem to think Pittsburgh presents much of a challenge. That's not the way I see it.

hwc said:
I think that both Pittsburgh and the Pats are glad not to be facing each other in the first round. It's almost a "mutual assured destruction" scenario in that matchup. Count the number of Pats players who have been seriously injured in recent Steelers games.

An ideal scenario for both physical northeast teams is to help each other in taking out the "finesse team" side of the AFC bracket and then face each other in yet another AFC Championship game rematch.

Colts fans don't seem to think Pittsburgh presents much of a challenge. That's not the way I see it.
I loved Marvin Lewis' facial expression when he acknowledged they would be playing the Steelers for the wildcard game. :eek:

hwc said:

An ideal scenario for both physical northeast teams is to help each other in taking out the "finesse team" side of the AFC bracket and then face each other in yet another AFC Championship game rematch..

That is another valid point I had meant to bring up. If the Pats and Steelers had met in the 1st round, it would be a physical slugfest that would leave the winner still catching their breath for the next game....I know our guys could do it, but my gut says that would not benefit the Pats this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots