PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges: Pats have too many question marks

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikey said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14276321/

Too many self-inflicted problems.

Help me out here, I can't remember: what did Borges think of the Pats chances before the 2001 season? What did he write after Bledsoe was injured? What did he think of the Pats chances before the 2003 season? What did he write after Lawyer Milloy was cut?

Will you let it go? I'm not blindly drinking the Kool-Aid but I'm not going to spend all my time whining about the state of the team either.

Wow. Borges now defines failure as "No fourth title for the patriots"

Pretty high standard.

Last edited:
Can we trade Ron Borges, maybe to Seattle for the backup badmitton writer ?

mikey...whatever you do, dont post a Ron Borges article as "proof" that the Pats have too many question marks.

"If you throw enough against the wall, something is bound to stick."

--Ron Borges

I wonder if Borges' MSNBC readers ever get sick of him writing about the Patriots. He seems to use MSNBC as a platform a lot to do his bashing of BB and his way of doing things.

This last one is a great read, saying we've got great DL starters and then implying because we're not 4 deep at every position on the line it's a problem.

Unfortunately his comments about the LB situation have some merit.

scott99 said:
Can we trade Ron Borges, maybe to Seattle for the backup badmitton writer ?

Trade??? Can't we just cut the guy?

How about IR...Inane Reasoning...

Borges consumes too much of our energy, for a has been boxing writer who no longer has a venue to consume his wrath. He is better off punching other aging boxing writers, they seem to enjoy that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have vowed not to comment on Borges' crap anymore but I can't let this line go:

"For the second straight year, Bruschi will enter the regular season at some point without having played in the preseason, a situation that caused his play to slip last season from its Pro Bowl level of before."

Hey Ron, do you think it was the fact that he missed preseason that had his play slip or, maybe, perhaps, the fact that the guy had a stroke and surgery for a hole in his heart? He missed the entire offseason not just preseason. Borges always slants things to be negative but this one goes way too far in my mind.

Last edited:
I wish Borges would hold out!

mdhprime said:
I wish Borges would hold out!

He can't. In order for him to hold out, he would have to be wanted here in the first place. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
mikey said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14276321/

Too many self-inflicted problems.

I can't read the article because it's Borges but I have a question, would the Patriots problems be less of an issue if they were inflicted by some outside source rather than "self-inflicted?"

I agree the Pats have some issues. Doesn't every team? But I believe in the ability of our coaches to deal with them. They may not get everything right but they have earned the right to the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Borges works for MSNBC. Translation his readers are primarily soccer moms. I won't be a Homer and pretend the Pats are flawless but honestly...its MSNBC fellas

Last edited:
Though he may have made mistakes in the past, this article is right on. There's a frightening decline in talent at the edges of both the offense (WR) and the defense (DE/OLB). And the linebacker corps is THE WEAKEST IN THE DIVISION without Bruschi. Vrabel is going to have to go back inside, alas.

The OL is even better than what Borges characterizes them and, on a hunch, I think the rookie kicker will do just fine.

Another area that Borges unduly picks on is DB. There's deeper talent than he lets on. We have four decent NFL cornerbacks, which is often all one can have in this league.

Note to Scott Pioli: One lesson I've learned is the futility of raiding the Cheifs defense. How have Monty "Barely" Beisel and Eric "DUI" Warfield helped us? Has Warfield even made a play in camp? Is he still on the team? We're learning that that mediocre defense is so not because of the scheme but by the lack of talent on that side of the ball.

If Bruschi and Brady can stay healthy, we're going into the playoffs. But Deion Branch will have to be playing in order to go anywhere. We can be great if Chad Jackson can put it together. Reche Caldwell will look prime time one game, then do nothing for the next. Just like he played in San Diego.

I'm also looking for Steve Neal and Eugene Wilson to have good seasons after their mediocre play last year.

And, yes, this Minnesota RB is the real deal. Laurence Maroney'll have 1200-1300 yards this year, forcing defences to actually play run much more than they have in the past, opening up the underneath passes (TE, cowboy up.) and play-action pass. He's going to remind me of Tony Dorsett. Making some long gainers will be so sweet and take the pressure of Brady.

I do think the Dolphins are nearly as talented as the Pats, and they should win one of the two games. (And I also pick the Jets to take one of two, as well; but we'll sweep the Bills.)

And we'll destroy Denver the next time we play them. We were better than they were last year. The same holds true this year.

State said:
Though he may have made mistakes in the past, this article is right on. There's a frightening decline in talent at the edges of both the offense (WR) and the defense (DE/OLB). And the linebacker corps is THE WEAKEST IN THE DIVISION without Bruschi. Vrabel is going to have to go back inside, alas.

The OL is even better than what Borges characterizes them and, on a hunch, I think the rookie kicker will do just fine.

Another area that Borges unduly picks on is DB. There's deeper talent than he lets on. We have four decent NFL cornerbacks, which is often all one can have in this league.

Note to Scott Pioli: One lesson I've learned is the futility of raiding the Cheifs defense. How have Monty "Barely" Beisel and Eric "DUI" Warfield helped us? Has Warfield even made a play in camp? Is he still on the team? We're learning that that mediocre defense is so not because of the scheme but by the lack of talent on that side of the ball.

If Bruschi and Brady can stay healthy, we're going into the playoffs. But Deion Branch will have to be playing in order to go anywhere. We can be great if Chad Jackson can put it together. Reche Caldwell will look prime time one game, then do nothing for the next. Just like he played in San Diego.

I'm also looking for Steve Neal and Eugene Wilson to have good seasons after their mediocre play last year.

And, yes, this Minnesota RB is the real deal. Laurence Maroney'll have 1200-1300 yards this year, forcing defences to actually play run much more than they have in the past, opening up the underneath passes (TE, cowboy up.) and play-action pass. He's going to remind me of Tony Dorsett. Making some long gainers will be so sweet and take the pressure of Brady.

I do think the Dolphins are nearly as talented as the Pats, and they should win one of the two games. (And I also pick the Jets to take one of two, as well; but we'll sweep the Bills.)

And we'll destroy Denver the next time we play them. We were better than they were last year. The same holds true this year.
I agree with some that you're saying but why so certain about Reche Caldwell? Have you gazed into the future and seen his faliure in New England? I see the "Reche Caldwell" sucks stuff coming out of peoples mouths after one preseason drop, ONE DROP. After all the positive stuff about him in camp lets just give up on him after one drop. :rolleyes:

I see it this way, if you are a top tier team who HAS won a championship the media will scrutinize every part of your team and exaggerate your weaknesses.

If you are a top tier team that has not won a championship then they either give a fair assessment or if you are the Colts they ignore your glaring weaknesses and anoint you as a lock to win.

If you are an up and coming team they go out their way to tell the masses why you could be great while ignoring all of the reasons why you are not considered a top tier team to begin with.

Where on top so they nit pick. Screw em and screw borges.

I LOVE Ron Borges. There's no end to the lengths the guy will go just to tweak the nose of Patriot fandom everywhere. And you all shouldn't be upset, because he's so frequently wrong. It's pretty equal relationship.

I was sitting behind the guy on a plane back from Vegas a couple years back. It was a fight weekend. I'll never forget sitting on the tarmac, listening to Ron yack loudly on his cell phone. Clearly, he wanted everyone around him to know that he was a very important person. My sister (of all people) had enough, and said to me (at Borges' volume), "You'd think someone that important wouldn't be sitting with the rest of us goobers in coach."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes