Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Fungi

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Bush drops to Oakland?

1146293697_1005.gif

Last edited:
Bush dropping all the way to #7. I don't see it. Someone would trade up to get him way before that happened.

No way do the pats draft Mangold. A center in the first round? I'll break my TV. Resign Koppen, take a center in the 4th or 5th round, and the Pats are good to go. First OL Pats draft will be RT, one who can help the running game and is solid in Protection. Wouldn't be surprised if it is Marcus McNeill in Rd 1 or Jonathan Scott of Texas in RD 2, if available. But not a frickin center.

there is no way bush falls lower than number 4. Even if the jets don't pick him they will trade. 7 is just ridiculous.

but nick mangold was one of the players i thought the pats might get. But anytime i ever thought he was going to draft who I wanted i was wrong. I'm usually so far off i guess the wrong side of the ball.

The only thing Borges could be right about (and it pains me to say this) is that Oakland could trade up to #2 and get Bush. He could claim he was right if that happens:eek:

Well I guess it is safe to take Mangold off my list. Borges hasn't been right since BB arrived.:D

NFL Network claims Mangold best center to come out in years. A high-floor pick. I could see the Pats making this pick.

Borges is an Oakland homer. He was the Oakland beat writer before coming here and still loves Al Davis.

I love how Borges is trying to paint Bush as the next outlaw that Al scoops up when everyone else passes.

Bush and his family took "extra benefits" as a college player. If that makes him an outlaw, my guess is 30 outlaws are going to be drafted in the first round.

I doubt PATs will take a Mangold at 21 but ......

if they did I'd be happy. If this is the best way to improve the Oline
in their opinion then great. I really wanted a significant upgrade to the
Oline as an offseason move. This would do it for me. :)
But as I said .. I doubt they do it.

in my opinion its just borges trying to make fun of the pats unpredictability and the fact that very few people get them right during the draft.
also ..this is what he thinks will happen not what should. if it does happen , he will love to trash that pick.

My opinion? That's a very good mock, given no trades. With Williams at #1 this draft is going to be full of surprises. And with Greenway, Wimbley, Cromartie and Lawson coming off the board in order before #21, I'd probably pick Mangold too.

i like the mock but i think that borges has a lot of trades in here. i think hes inferring that oakland trades up to get bush and the pats trade down to grab mangold. with koppens injury still not heeled(supposedly a extremly bad injury, could miss start of season) a think mangol could be a great pick. if koppen comes back healthy, this gives you even more flexability on the line.

21. New England
Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State

If Whitner or Lawson are available the Patriots would go in that direction first, especially for Whitner, but they're gone. Cornerback and linebacker are areas of need and they'll look hard at the value left on their board in those areas, but they could very well surprise and grab Mangold, whom Belichick considers among the five best players in this draft. Belichick values big over small and building from the inside out. Incumbent center Dan Koppen is coming off an injury and is eligible for free agency after next season, so drafting Mangold would allow New England to fill the position at minimum base salary levels for six to eight years if you add in what Koppen has been paid. Now that's value.

7. Oakland
Reggie Bush, RB, Southern Cal

Al Davis never thought he'd be in position to take the talented Trojans playmaker, and in typical Raider fashion, he won't pass on the outlaw. The wild card is Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler, who would be appealing because Aaron Brooks is only a short-term solution.

all expalanations of borges picks: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2006/04/29/how_the_first_round_shapes_up/?page=1

Last edited:
I'd be happy with Mangold pick. Saw him interviewed on NFL and he seemed like a Patriot type player. I'm worried about Koppen's injury and he'll be a FA next year. Plus I don't think he'd be around for our next pick. More protection for Brady and getting stronger on the Oline has always been my #1 this year.

What happens to Bush becomes the wild card here today. One reason he dropped whether they admit it or not is his insane contract demands (reportedly $30M guaranteed). NO was saying they were leaning towards taking him and not trading the pick last night, but they were also reportedly fielding multiple calls including NYJ, GB and OAK. If they were to take Ferguson and the Titans stick to their apparent plan to take Young, suddenly Lienart is still available at 4. The JETS have an aging but still productive RB and virtually no answer at QB. The pressure would be extraortinary for them to take Lienart. If they do it's more likely GB then takes Bush unless they are as wed to Hawk as most drafts have indicated. If the JETS take Bush then OAK likely snags Lienart.

Either way there are going to be two tough signings down the road for whomever lands Bush and Lienart. Both desperately wanted and at some point expected to be #1, and they will want that money. I suppose there could also be something of an Eli deal in the works where somebody drafts players in certain slots and then swaps them.

As for us I bet BB is in the camp that only had 18 or so first round graders in this draft. So I think it's highly likely we go up, or down, depending on how things are developing. We could end up with Mangold and that would be fine by me, but I don't think we draft him at 21.

I agree .

JR4 said:
I doubt PATs will take a Mangold at 21 but ......

if they did I'd be happy. If this is the best way to improve the Oline
in their opinion then great. I really wanted a significant upgrade to the
Oline as an offseason move. This would do it for me. :)
But as I said .. I doubt they do it.

borges has an excellent record concerning the draft. just read my sig.

I'd be happy if DeAngelo Williams falls to the Colts.

I like Mangold, I just don't like him at 21. But hey, you can't go wrong with OL, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back