Welcome to PatsFans.com

BORGES: Maroney best RB in draft?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by spacecrime, Aug 14, 2006.

1. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

2. desi-patsfan

desi-patsfan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i love Maroney but its way too early. Bush had an impressive first game as well.

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

He did but despite Barry Sanders making a living out of it I just don't see that reversing the field thing working long term in the NFL. Here and there, sure, but with the speed of NFL defenses now, they'll have to be undisciplined to get burned by that too much. He will make defenses that chase and lose their containment pay, though.

4. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +18 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Maroney started surely very well but i liked a lot Reggie Bush too as allready said

5. Flying Fungi

Flying Fungi In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Maybe he was thinking of Mahoney...

...or maybe it was the sheer tightness of #39...

6. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Of course it is to early to tell for sure. You misunderstood my post. I didn't say Maroney was the best back in the draft (he might be or it might be Williams - I always considered Bush to be a third down back). I was talking about Borges, not Maroney. Maroney was just how Borges not only missed a chance for a BB zinger, but actually said other coaches agreed with BB, and Borges validated BB's PRE-DRAFT evaluaiton.

To explain (in case you don't know ol' wRONg): Ron Borges is a guy whom I never never seen write a good thing about BB. Even when forced to admit BB did something right, Borges throws in a zinger to negate it.

The post really was about Borges. You don't find his quote simply astounding?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

WHile I like the quote, don't be duped but the butthole Borges, he is the assclown of the Boston Sports Media... stay tuned as he will undoubtedly change his tune.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  8. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I didn't see Reggie Bush do anything different than a guy like Bethel Johnson could do. If Bush can only threaten the edges in the sweep and passing game, he's not extrememely valuable. To justify "The Best RB in the Draft" handle, he's going to have to be at least adequate pounding the ball between the tackles. Otherwise, you have a Kevin Faulk skill set with a Richard Seymour salary. If it becomes established that he's no threat up the middle, defenses will adjust in a hurry.

9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Bush is WAY faster than Faulk - but I basically agree that I'm not going to go nuts like many others are based on one play where the defense overpursued.

10. Gopats!!!

Gopats!!! On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was very suprised!

Both by borges saying it and that people thought that Maroney is better than Bush.

I have heard it said a few times that Maroney was the best back in the draft. We'll find out once the season starts. I have a feeling our triplets (Dillon, Maroney, Faulk) are going to have an awesome year!!! :rocker:

11. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +44 / 5 / -3

Borges is still a turd.

One pre season game, Maroney looked fast, he looked superb I am excited. But Borges is an idiot again, Bush had a very impressive game as well you cant determine it this early. Though I think Maroney will be a top 5 RB in the years to come.

12. zippo59

zippo59 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

And call me crazy but I seem to remember little known backs doing similar things to the Titans D a lot last year. Bush could very well be awesome but just because he made the Titans look stupid on one play during the preseason doesn't mean he has officially fulfilled everyone's expectations. Does anyone know how he did on his other carries?

13. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +26 / 4 / -3

I guess you could say Marshall Faulk had a Kevin Faulk skill set as well then. Similar skill sets, one is ten times the player the other is. And Bush is even more explosive than M. Faulk IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
  14. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Wrong. Because M Faulk could run the ball up the middle. W Dunn can run the ball up the middle. Until I see Bush do that, than he is of limited value as a starting RB. He might be a phenomenal 6-10 touch a game RB, but if that's what he turns out to be, he's severely overpaid, even by NFL standards.

15. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The only time Borges makes an unqualified positive statement about the Pats is when it is a set-up.

16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +609 / 7 / -7

My guess is that Wrong Borges just got happy fingers and typed before he thought, confusing "Chad Jackson was considered the top receiver in this draft" with "Maroney was considered the top running back in this draft." Do you guys doubt for one minute that if Bush slips to 21, BB grabs him? I know Dry Heat does, but I see Bush as being up to the hype or close to it, not a guaranteed bust based on Sanders-like ability (a questionable position to defend at best.) The kid is 6-0 and 203, not 5'10 and 180... and you might imagine him packing a few more pounds over the years.

Now, if you knock out the freakishly talented Bush, yes, the Pats DID get the next best thing this draft, and a guy that might have been a top 10 pick in other drafts (of course, too early to tell...)

But I bet this is just a matter of Borges typing rather than writing -- and a write-up that might not be BB's thoughts at all.

PFnV

17. HAMMERMILL

HAMMERMILL On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Borges likes maroney?
    1) I'de trade him instanly!
    2)Prepare for the end of day's!
    Has Borges finally caught a clue???

18. scott99

scott99 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +200 / 81 / -68

#87 Jersey

I think it's too early to say Bush will or wont be great, or is or isnt the best back in this draft. I think he will be used way differently than most conventional backs. Get 18 carries here, 10 cathces there, return a few kicks and the such. H'es an incredible weapon that is probably in the perfect situation, kind of like Maroney, being groomed to takes over from a veteran in a year or two. If I had my choice, I pick Bush over Maroney, though I think Maroney will be fantastic also.

19. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +85 / 4 / -3

I saw Bush taking licks and running up the middle for USC. The guy is not a skinny reed. Of course, in the NFL, you get hit harder. The key is, can he stay healthy, because he doesn't mind taking tacklers head on.

20. scott99

scott99 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +200 / 81 / -68

#87 Jersey

Bush also has that second gear, where everyone else on the field looks like they are running in slow motion, and also he never seems to slow down when he makes his cuts. He has speed like Tony Dorsett, better hands than any running back I've ever seen, has moves like Gale Sayers/Barry Sanders, he just has incredible talent and is a great prospect. At 6'0" 205, I expect him to get bigger, Deuce McAllister was 6'1" 205 coming out of college and bulked up to 232. Not that I expect Bush to get that big, but 215 without losing speed wouldn't suprise me. Bush is one of the greatest prospects I've EVER seen, now it's up to him to translate his college success to the pros, and he hasn't shown me any indication that he can't. Maroney is also an excellent talent, and hopefully he translates his college success to the pros, so far both have shown me a lot.