PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges - Half the facts...AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Unlike Patriots, rival Colts willing to pay the price - BostonHerald.com

Unlike Patriots, rival Colts willing to pay the price according to Borges. Colts are awesome. They do it right. Pats suck. You get the picture. Funny how on the same day this story comes out this story also comes out.

One guy who wasn't upset being tagged - Extra Points - Boston.com

Colts DE Dwight Freeney's rookie contract was set to expire in February of 2007, and the two sides weren't within striking distance of an extenstion. So the club put the tag on Freeney.

Sounds like the Pats and Wilfork but what do I know. Borges is ALWAYS RIGHT

I love this line from Borges' article:

Irsay pointed out the Colts have eschewed big free agent signings that can go bust and cost you millions (Adalius Thomas and Rosevelt Colvin come to mind), preferring to build through the draft and then working the numbers to keep those players.

Yes, they rather pay big money to retain talent that could go bust and cost you millions like making Bob Sanders one of the highest paid safeties in the league to spend most of his career on IR? Sanders might be an All Pro on the field, but ROI on his contract isn't much better than Thomas or Colvin considering that he has spent most of his career on IR.

Sanders signed a new deal at the end of the 2007 season (5 years, $37 million with $20 million in guarantees). In 2008, he played six games. In 2009, he played 2 games. There is talk that the Colts may dump him this offseason since he is too injured for his value. So it is conceivable that the Colts gave Bob Sanders over $20 million for 8 games. Talk about avoiding

Seriously if Colvin was a bust because of he broke his hip, how is Sanders not a bust for the same reason. At least in the Pats' defense, Colvin had a freak injury that sidetracked his career rather than a poor talent evaluation. While when Polian gave Sanders his deal, he knew that there was a good chance he would miss more games he would play under the new deal because his injury history is long.

And let's not forget the ridiculous 6 year deal that Marvin Harrison signed after the 2004 season. He was getting ridiculous amounts for a WR. Four of his worst years yardagewise during the Manning era were the years after he signed the deal. The last two years of his career, he was an average at best WR making over $10 million a year vs. the salary cap.

Borges really should look at how some of the deals the Colts made worked out.

Every team will make mistakes and sign or overpay their own and draft busts (Bob Sanders) but the thing is if you look at the Colts or the Jets, two teams who made recent mistakes Sanders/Gholston, both were in the AFC CG. We say the Jets are top loaded but, the lost Kris Jenkins (all pro) and Leon Washington yet they had the best run defense and they had the best rushing offense in the NFL. Vernon Gholston hasnt contributed at all yet the Jets have one of the best Pass rushes in the NFL. The Colts lost Bob Sanders and Anthony Gonzales for the year and they had Austin Collie step up and we all know what Pierre Garcon did. Antoine Bethea was a probowler and they lost Marlon Jackson as well. We lost Wes Welker and last year we lost Brady and we had people step up but this year it wasnt enough. Thats why we are put under the spot light and the Colts and Jets arent.

And let's not forget the ridiculous 6 year deal that Marvin Harrison signed after the 2004 season. He was getting ridiculous amounts for a WR. Four of his worst years yardagewise during the Manning era were the years after he signed the deal. The last two years of his career, he was an average at best WR making over $10 million a year vs. the salary cap.

Borges really should look at how some of the deals the Colts made worked out.

My thoughts exactly! And look REAL close. How has building through the draft and not signing the big free agents worked for you, Irsay, over the past decade? When it comes down to it

Pats= 4 superbowls, 3 rings
Colts= 2 superbowls, 1 ring (possibly 2)
Borges= TOOL!

Hey Borges this is why the Colts do not sign free agents !

Repair work an inside job - The Boston Globe

Why so little activity? The fiery Polian is quick with the answer.

"Mainly because we've made some big mistakes in the past, Corey Simon being the most obvious one," he said. "We've had a modicum of success in it, but not a lot. We just feel the odds are very much against you. It's not a criticism of anyone who does it, but just the way we do things. We're not good at it, so we stay away from things we're not good at."

Funny how Borges has also been ripping the Pats for trading Seymour.
He wanted the Pats to draft David Terrell instead of Seymour.

How did that David Terrell career work out Ron?

Last edited:
I saw this yesterday, surprised that it took this long to post this crap.. Borges is the consummate fence sitter.. maybe he could go on talk radio, would fit right in.

Biggest FA signing bust in Polian Colt history - Corey Simon, 2005, a player the Eagles had tagged and they pulled the tag at the deadline because they feared after holding out he was not going to be worth it. Polian acted like he'd pulled the coup of the season because the Colts had several million cap dollars left and no one to spend them on and everyone else was up against the cap, and he landed Simon. 5 years, $30M. Polian poo poo'd all the red flag warnings on this guy (who had held out on the Eagles as his rookie deal wound down and balooned to the point he was a non factor until the tail end of the season). He played in 13 games for them in 2005 but wasn't a remotely a difference maker. The following season he claimed he hurt his knee in camp and then developed some form of arthritis he said was related to the injury that he felt precluded him from playing while Polian publicly claimed he was non football injured. When they parted company after the season he threatened to persue his signing bonus. And refused to invite him to the ring ceremony...Nothing ever came of it. Cost the Colts $13M for those 13 games...

If Belichick ever got into it to that level with any player Borges would be calling for his head.

We hear a lot about Polian's draft successes, not much about his failures like the replacement LT he drafted two years ago for a 2nd and a 1st when Glenn retired who is a backup RT...or that third round DT he drafted to replace Simon who quit football after his rookie season.

Not to mention Manning played out his entire slavish 6 year rookie deal, and then was exclusive franchise tagged - just like Freeney in '06 - in March 2004 because they hadn't been able to reach agreement on an extension with him in two seasons... It got done a few weeks later after Irsay sold his personal rock-n-roll memorabelia collection to help fund the $34.5M signing bonus on his 9 year $128M deal that has since voided to 7 years $98M.

The difference between the way the system was developed in Indy vs. NE is the driving force in retaining Manning wasn't even winning a Lombardi, it was remaining viable enough to convince the taxpayers and politicians of Indiana they should foot the bill for a new stadium for the Colts to play in, otherwise Irsay was going to have to do what his daddy did and move the team... This year they really need to win a Lombardi because the natives who paid for that stadium and the sweetheart deal Irsay landed to occupy it are getting restless standing in the unemployment line. If Manning gets $50M guaranteed this time around I'm sure they will be thrilled...

yet through all the busts, who's playing in the SB?

the difference is that polian makes day 2 picks tha pay off, so when guys like sanders and harrison and freeney go 'burp', they got nobodies who have worked the scheme enough to fill in adequately. the colts played minus both starting CB and sanders for 7 games this year, and got to the SB with melvin bullitt and jerraud powers starting in the secondary.

corey simon? how about the pats with duane starks, adalius thomas, monty biesel, and so on and so forth?

between offense and defense, the colts have only one guy starting who has ever played a down for any other team.

yeah, the pats won 3 SB's, but that was 5 years ago, and I believe there are only 5 guys left from the team that last won.....I'm not a colts fan, but the pats have faded while the colts are on the same curve they've been on all along. they are due tonos of credit for keeping it going although it will actually fall flat on its face when manning is gone

yet through all the busts, who's playing in the SB?

the difference is that polian makes day 2 picks tha pay off, so when guys like sanders and harrison and freeney go 'burp', they got nobodies who have worked the scheme enough to fill in adequately. the colts played minus both starting CB and sanders for 7 games this year, and got to the SB with melvin bullitt and jerraud powers starting in the secondary.

corey simon? how about the pats with duane starks, adalius thomas, monty biesel, and so on and so forth?

between offense and defense, the colts have only one guy starting who has ever played a down for any other team.

yeah, the pats won 3 SB's, but that was 5 years ago, and I believe there are only 5 guys left from the team that last won.....I'm not a colts fan, but the pats have faded while the colts are on the same curve they've been on all along. they are due tonos of credit for keeping it going although it will actually fall flat on its face when manning is gone

This year they are going to the Superbowl. Last year with Manning they were one and done in the playoffs. The year before, when we went to the Superbowl, they were one and done in the playoffs. The year before that they came back on us in the AFCC in their house with their 12th man in attendance...and managed to smite the mighty Rex Grossman led Bears. The year before that the wildcard Steelers broke Colt fans hearts in the AFCC in their own house even as their 12th man did handstands to try and send them to the Superbowl. And boy, did the FO/coaching sucks crowd surface in Indy just like it does here.

Prior to 2006 of course is a time none of you frontrunning kneejerks want to discuss. In one thread you want this FO to treat players right based on past performance or body of work. You just don't see any reason for fans to treat this FO right based on the same criteria in this thread.

Polian's approach took 9 years to result in 1 ring and 12 years to result in a shot at a 2nd. Belichick's approach led to 3 rings in 5 years and a shot at a 4th in 8 years. Belichick is intent on building a team that can survive the loss of it's franchise QB. As you admit, Polian has built a team that will fall flat on it's face when it's franchise QB is gone. Anyone who given the choice would trade places is not merely a frontrunner but an idiot.

Exactly Mo, EVERY plan has holes and the IF Peyton ever were to go down for a year, we would see the Colts go from first to worst really quick.

You can look at anyone's personel moves and name the mistakes. This is exactly why I said I'd still take this team over any other team's FO in the league because more often than not, they draft well despite drafting low and they land more good FAs than they do bad ones. Barely any team can say that like we do.

If the Pats go to the super bowl next year, well than what? Are we going to write up stories about how Belichick's plan is perfect and Polian is far behind yet again? Yes, because people live for the moment I guess.

I'll just add this. Borges is comparing the Patriots worth of Wilfork to the Colts worth of Peyton Manning

I'll leave that to you to decide if that sounds like an intelligent, credible person.

I had a contentious e-mail exchange with Borges recently, reconfirming that the man is intractably obstinate. He's also supremely egotistical. I think the latter explains how and why he has survived all these years. I think it's important to TRY to ignore him. He has marginalized himself to some degree by getting fired from the Globe and moving to the Herald, but he still pops up on TV and radio as resident BB hater/Pats contrarian, so he's hard to avoid completely.

Also enjoyed a few emails back and forth with Ronnie, he is an easy mark and he quickly descends into some pretty salicious personal attacks..

Also enjoyed a few emails back and forth with Ronnie, he is an easy mark and he quickly descends into some pretty salicious personal attacks..

Ron has always enjoyed dishing it out, makes him feel 6'2". Can't take it, never could. Little man syndrome.

Ron has always enjoyed dishing it out, makes him feel 6'2". Can't take it, never could. Little man syndrome.

That might explain a lot of it. How tall is he?

Exactly Mo, EVERY plan has holes and the IF Peyton ever were to go down for a year, we would see the Colts go from first to worst really quick.

You can look at anyone's personel moves and name the mistakes. This is exactly why I said I'd still take this team over any other team's FO in the league because more often than not, they draft well despite drafting low and they land more good FAs than they do bad ones. Barely any team can say that like we do.

If the Pats go to the super bowl next year, well than what? Are we going to write up stories about how Belichick's plan is perfect and Polian is far behind yet again? Yes, because people live for the moment I guess.

That is it. Colts are in the Super Bowl, so automatically, the Colt Way is the best and only way.
I find it interesting that even colt supporters agree that if Manning is lost, the Colts go down the tubes..and yet, when Brady was out, the Pats went 11-5 and just narrowly missed the playoffs. so, whose system is better???

Little man? Have you ever seen Borges in person? He is over 6 feet tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back