Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12552901/page/2/

B+
New England Patriots
Bill Belichick drafted a running back for the first time since he was coaching the Browns and took "Touchdown'' Tommy Vardell. He shook off that disaster (Borges almost made it to sentence #2 before taking a shot at BB but just couldn’t do it) and got the draft's No. 2 rated runner in Minnesota's Laurence Maroney, who rushed for over 1,000 yards three straight seasons. He's a solid receiver and has better speed than incumbent Corey Dillon. They had no young back ready to step in for the aging Dillon, which makes it a key selection.

They picked Florida's Chad Jackson in round 2, which should boost their receiving corps and save them money by not spending it on more expensive free agent receivers. Don't ask me why they drafted another tight end in Texas' David Thomas. They already have two former No. 1 picks there. Maybe he can long snap?

shatch62 said:
Don't ask me why they drafted another tight end in Texas' David Thomas. They already have two former No. 1 picks there. Maybe he can long snap?
LMAO. First, I wonder if that was a joke as DT can long snap. Second, when you play two TE a lot and have only 2 TE on the roster - WHAT DO YOU EXPECT TO HAPPEN, RON ?

shatch62 said:

B+
New England Patriots
Bill Belichick drafted a running back for the first time since he was coaching the Browns and took "Touchdown'' Tommy Vardell. He shook off that disaster (Borges almost made it to sentence #2 before taking a shot at BB but just couldn’t do it) and got the draft's No. 2 rated runner in Minnesota's Laurence Maroney, who rushed for over 1,000 yards three straight seasons. He's a solid receiver and has better speed than incumbent Corey Dillon. They had no young back ready to step in for the aging Dillon, which makes it a key selection.

They picked Florida's Chad Jackson in round 2, which should boost their receiving corps and save them money by not spending it on more expensive free agent receivers. Don't ask me why they drafted another tight end in Texas' David Thomas. They already have two former No. 1 picks there. Maybe he can long snap?
All he has to do is little reading on David Thomas to see what this kid will bring but its typical Borges just know clue. I love the pick an upgrade over Faurier.

shatch62 said:

B+
New England Patriots

I wonder if Borges realizes that even after signing the draft picks, the Pats should still be about $14mm under the cap or so. The Thomas signing was a head scratcher until you realize how significant Fauria was on this team, coupled with Graham/Watson.

My opinion is Watson will emerge as a star next year and Graham and Thomas will find a lot of 1 on 1 coverage and torch opposing defenses.

spacecrime said:
What does this mean?

Good question, I'm sure Cedric Cobbs, Antoine Womack and their families would wonder also.

Who cares what Borges thinks.

He CAN long snap? I think this guy is going to be a beloved Patriot player special teams ace and all around do it all fan favorite for many years.

if the pats had taken Bush and Mario Borges would still
give them a b+

considering graham is in the last yr and has a history of dropping passes in the past, david thomas is a good competition. if nothing , he can play fullback and keep seymour out in goal line situations and getting hurt

Borges: Like a morning dump, but less enjoyable.

Borges really enjoys being obnoxious. I wonder if he's obnoxious in person, too.

i just cannot beliee somebody read his grade and cared what he wrote.

Note also he gave the Jets an A+, another dig at BB, no doubt.

"Bill Belichick drafted a running back for the first time since he was coaching the Browns and took "Touchdown'' Tommy Vardell. He shook off that disaster and..."

LOL, this guy is so bitter, he can't even praise a pick without couching his comments in snarkiness.

Position (versus VALUE) thinking at its finest.

The Pats saw the #2 back in this draft, who would be a #1 in some earlier drafts, dropping to them at 21. Gee, I wonder what you do.

Then you see arguably the best receiver in this draft come to you in the second round - PLUS receiver does happen to be a need position.

Duh.

As for Dave Thomas, hey, at least it wasn't another first round tight end. Yes, the 2-playing-one-on-the-bench logic does apply... and yes, BB does have a fetish for collecting tight ends. But I've said before and I'll say again, the Watson pick was a head scratcher, until I saw the Pats' use of Graham and Watson in a spread attack. With typical BB panache, he took a guy with the athletic gifts to be a second-tier pure pass catcher, and made the moves that let him using his blocking ability! Is there any other head coach with that vision in the NFL? Now Grahambo continues on his merry double-threat way, Watson provides the near-Gatesian capabilities at TE, and Thomas is there for backup/compete duties (much like Fauria, but with a future.) I cannot say I love another TE pick, but I sure as hell understand it.

And the FAs are still out there, as is the looming 6/1 cut category. Gee, only three out of four of our starting linebackers will have pro bowl potential this year. Cry me a river. (That said, it sure would be fun if a decent 3/4 fit - either inside or outside - comes out of the next few months. And ain't it grand to have the versatility among current personnel to look for either?)

Oh yeah then there's Day 2... Kai Parham fans, this is your time! Yikes, they've been drafting half an hour... I better go play catchup, maybe it isn't!

PFnV

Borges is an ex-palooka who fancies himself a tough guy. In fact he's a coward....hence his predisposition to shoot his mouth off in print.

Willie55 said:
Who cares what Borges thinks.
Well, if he didn't like DaveThomas, he must be wetting himself after BB's lastpick :D

graham's last yeaf

SVN said:
considering graham is in the last yr and has a history of dropping passes in the past, david thomas is a good competition. if nothing , he can play fullback and keep seymour out in goal line situations and getting hurt
graham has taken some big licks, and many of those hits seem to have been in the chest aarea. IMO his old man's got to be telling him to get a big payday. before somebody does damage to his jaw, abdomen, or splinters his rib cage.

i like the idea of keeping valuable defensive players off the field. klecko's OK there---he won't play anywhere else anyway. IMO it's a job better suited to backup OLs, people who've actually been trained to THROW BLOCKS. big sey and ty warren looked awkward out there last year.
seems as tho lonie paxton better look out if they're looking for a long snapper who also plays a position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back