PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges blathers about Brady contract status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Borges misinforms his readers about Brady's contract detailstatus

According to Obamacare, both:rolleyes:

Don't go there...Ian has rules here. Not many mind you but that one sticks.

Don't go there...Ian has rules here. Not many mind you but that one sticks.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll edit it away

Since we are speaking in the vein of accuracy in reporting, PWP, it should be noted that Borges works for that rag called the Herald, NOT the Globe. But you are not far off in the rest of your post. Clearly in the next few months there will be regular references about Brady, his contract, and how "underpaid" he is.

I think, or rather I'm hoping, that Brady understands that he is only as good as the players he is surrounded with, and the first rule of capology states that for every dollar you spend on one player, there is one less dollar for everyone else. If Brady insists on getting paid at the market rate, which happens to be MORE than anyone else, then he will only be cutting off his nose to spite his face.

At the rates of compensation that players of Brady's caliber are getting ALREADY, its not about "feeding his family", its not about changing his standard of living; rather its all about how big your **** is, compared to the next guy. Again I'm hoping that Brady isn't that kind of guy. That concern for his physical well being and his competitive nature, will overcome the short sighted desire to be the "guy with the biggest ****".

He will always be the Pats highest paid player and that should be enough. It would also be a refreshing message to send to the rest of the league. And yes, I know I'm being naive. ;)

I take your general point. Whether it's because he's taking a "home town discount" or whether it's because, as the very knowledgeable Miguel observes, he's two years out from free agency, he probably won't insist on or end up being the top paid QB; plus, he will be 33 when the 2010 season starts. The CW out here seems to be that a guarantee of $40 will get it done, whatever the amount of the non-guaranteed portion that adds up to the "big numbers" (like "$106.9") that people like to talk about. I have no reason to disagree with the CW.

But I do believe that, first and foremost, Brady will want to be paid at a level that is very close to what he's worth, according to the NFL market. He no doubt understands "capology" far, far better than you and I understand it. But he also frequently observes, going back to the Lawyer Milloy ordeal, that the NFL is a business. Yes, he loves to win. And yes, he is very competitive. But he is also a major talent who has one last shot at getting paid big bucks as he enters the final years of his career.

Just as the Krafts won't hand him a "Thanks for the Memories" contract should it turn out that his skills have diminished as a result of the injury (and, I see absolutely no reason to think that they have, I hasten to add!), I don't think that Brady will settle for a "Take one for the Team" deal that is significantly below the Manning deal and that doesn't leave him as at least one of the top three QB's compensation wise.

Last edited:
So, as usual, Mr. Football know-it-all blowhard was wr...wr...wrong Borges once again.

As for Brady's next deal, this team is his legacy and he will do what he's always done, work with them to achieve a deal that both sides can live comfortably with. His last deal was done as the cap was approaching the $100M range and it averaged $10M per. The cap is now approaching $130M per. Per BB this team is comfortable earmarking in the 10-12% of cap range for the QB position. 90% of that will go to the #1 and future HOF'er.

So a deal that averages somewhere in the $14-15M range will likely satisfy both sides. He may command more in guaranteed money ($40M) or first 3 year take than his lesser peers. He will likely be OK with allowing Peyton to remain the higher paid. Tommy's ego measures worth in rings moreso than $$$. He has said before, what does another million matter (after taxes) once you're making double digit millions. It does more for the team than it would him personally and he gets that. He knows it's not lining his HC/GM or owners pockets here, they are still investing it in HIS team and that is to his benefit.

Peyton's 2004 deal runs through 2012 with $14M salaries at the backend. The last two years are voidable, but they can't be voided until or unless he gets to 2011. Polian has already utilized those years for amortization when he felt the pinch. Manning could let Indy play out the string if they are OK with absorbing cap hits in the $18-20M range, and redo his deal in 2012 at age 36, but I kinda doubt Tom Condon, who is also Eli's agent, will advise him to do that as none of his remaining money is guaranteed (although they could do that as part of a simple extension, too - just guarantee it).

Arizona is paying Warner, who is approaching AARP status, $12M per this year on a 2 year extension. (And what hurts AZ is only they are also simultaneously paying the stiff Lienart for nothing...). Had Brett returned he'd have gotten at least another $10M. (That was another reason GB needed to move on since they had to deal with Rogers, too.) The going rate for top tier QB's is currently $12M+ and upward. And Brady will provide more value than (arguably...) all but perhaps one of them at whatever rate his extension ultimately averages. And his backups will account for a small fraction of the QB budget because that is all they are.

I expect Tommy's new deal whenever it comes to put him back in the top 5 discussion and anywhere from 3-5 depending on how you interpret that... And that is not a problem as long as his true average doesn't top 12% of cap. And as long as we can develop backups and an eventual successor from outside the first round. Again, it's all about % of cap allotted to the position.

The Patriots will not give Brady any new deal until they know he can come back from his injury.Until he plays out this year they will not know.

The fact checkers are gone because the industry is dying. Poor reporting is the result of the economics, not the cause. And like every product that is reduced in quality by expense cutting, it accelerates the death spiral.

How many of us who complain about the quality of the Globe subscribe to it? To me, that's the price of admission for the right to complain. s

If I think something sucks, I'm not going to buy it just so I can complain about it. That would be subsidizing the very thing I don't like.

Last edited:
The Patriots will not give Brady any new deal until they know he can come back from his injury.Until he plays out this year they will not know.

I agree with your first sentence. Disagree with the second. I think that the Pats will have to start good faith negotiations with Brady's agent once it's clear by mid-season or so that he's back in form. I think both sides risk an unacceptable situation if they wait until this season ends and he is a few months away from his Free Agent season. It's in everyone's interest to do the deal before the season is over.

So, as usual, Mr. Football know-it-all blowhard was wr...wr...wrong Borges once again.

As for Brady's next deal, this team is his legacy and he will do what he's always done, work with them to achieve a deal that both sides can live comfortably with. His last deal was done as the cap was approaching the $100M range and it averaged $10M per. The cap is now approaching $130M per. Per BB this team is comfortable earmarking in the 10-12% of cap range for the QB position. 90% of that will go to the #1 and future HOF'er.

So a deal that averages somewhere in the $14-15M range will likely satisfy both sides. He may command more in guaranteed money ($40M) or first 3 year take than his lesser peers. He will likely be OK with allowing Peyton to remain the higher paid. Tommy's ego measures worth in rings moreso than $$$. He has said before, what does another million matter (after taxes) once you're making double digit millions. It does more for the team than it would him personally and he gets that. He knows it's not lining his HC/GM or owners pockets here, they are still investing it in HIS team and that is to his benefit.

Peyton's 2004 deal runs through 2012 with $14M salaries at the backend. The last two years are voidable, but they can't be voided until or unless he gets to 2011. Polian has already utilized those years for amortization when he felt the pinch. Manning could let Indy play out the string if they are OK with absorbing cap hits in the $18-20M range, and redo his deal in 2012 at age 36, but I kinda doubt Tom Condon, who is also Eli's agent, will advise him to do that as none of his remaining money is guaranteed (although they could do that as part of a simple extension, too - just guarantee it).

Arizona is paying Warner, who is approaching AARP status, $12M per this year on a 2 year extension. (And what hurts AZ is only they are also simultaneously paying the stiff Lienart for nothing...). Had Brett returned he'd have gotten at least another $10M. (That was another reason GB needed to move on since they had to deal with Rogers, too.) The going rate for top tier QB's is currently $12M+ and upward. And Brady will provide more value than (arguably...) all but perhaps one of them at whatever rate his extension ultimately averages. And his backups will account for a small fraction of the QB budget because that is all they are.

I expect Tommy's new deal whenever it comes to put him back in the top 5 discussion and anywhere from 3-5 depending on how you interpret that... And that is not a problem as long as his true average doesn't top 12% of cap. And as long as we can develop backups and an eventual successor from outside the first round. Again, it's all about % of cap allotted to the position.

I think that's a great take. Assuming that the "real" Tom Brady returns and is in his old form by week six or so, I think it will be in everyone's best interests to get a deal done as soon as possible.

I agree with your first sentence. Disagree with the second. I think that the Pats will have to start good faith negotiations with Brady's agent once it's clear by mid-season or so that he's back in form. I think both sides risk an unacceptable situation if they wait until this season ends and he is a few months away from his Free Agent season. It's in everyone's interest to do the deal before the season is over.

What if Brady has a season like Manning did last year? How long will the Patriots and the fans give him. Will he get other injuries because of the adjustments he makes because of the knee injury?Brady will also be 33. If there is no football in 2011 that will be two years Brady will have missed in three years. ( I do not know what that last sentence has to do with a new contract)LOL!

Last edited:

Actually, they'll know if he is afraid to step into passes after week #1 if not pre-season.

I mean, other than can he get back on the horse that threw him - a yes or no question - what is there?

I think it is inevitable that Brady will become the highest paid qb of all time. The guy deserves it, he took a massive paycut to stay here to keep a dynasty team intact, and during that time frame he became arguably the greatest Boston sports figure and qb ever. If Matt Cassel got 60 mil, Brady should be as rich as Bill Gates.

I'll say Brady signs 7 years 115 mil with 40+ mil in guarantees.

I think, or rather I'm hoping, that Brady understands that he is only as good as the players he is surrounded with
I agree with your analysis of surrounding a player with a team, but Brady's abilities depend on his talent, knowledge and training, not on who plays with him. His production may depend on surrounding players to a degree, but not how "good" he is. A minor nit perhaps, but a distinction nevertheless.

So him asking for most money is not as insane as him cutting his nose off. This is capitalism. A banker paid $10MM/yr feels he is 10x more successful than a banker paid $1MM/yr. By any means, material things like bank accounts, fancy houses and jets rank order social status. As do the foxy ladies. It is ingrained in our human nature.

Call it competitiveness
Yes, call it compeetitiveness for sure.

THe point where you and others differ is what Brady is competing for. If he is in competition with Manning, Rothliesberger, Rivers, etc to see who makes the most money, then he needs to do as you say: Go for the most money.

But if his main competitive drive is to win more superbowls, he may take a different tack. Not that he will take veteran minimum - that is just too stupid for words - but he might see that he is the franchise and he sets the tone. If he believes that settling for less than exhorbitant money will set the stage for others on the team, he might do that. He might realize that setting the standard for team negotiations for get-the-most-possible-and-not-leave-a-nickle-on-the-table might get him an extra mil a year but might have an effect of losing a couple key players.

Might not, but few teams can afford to have more than two of three super-highly paid players.

He deserves to be paid A LOT, and I sure hope he gets more than Eli, but that doesn't mean he needs to hold up Kraft for every possible penny, because Kraft will give a LOT of pennies to keep him.

See Colts and PM in 2006.
See Steelers and Big Ben in 2008.
I would submit that the first Patriots superbowl, the second Steeler superbowl, the Giants superbowl, and the Colts superbowl are not good examples to prove anything about how to build a superior team.

The first Patriots SB and the Giants SB did show that superior coaching can shift the balance if the opposing coach do not make half-time adjustments.

I think that's a great take. Assuming that the "real" Tom Brady returns and is in his old form by week six or so, I think it will be in everyone's best interests to get a deal done as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, because of the rules involving the salary cap possibly going away in 2010, "ASAP" probably means early March 2010.

What if Brady has a season like Manning did last year? How long will the Patriots and the fans give him. Will he get other injuries because of the adjustments he makes because of the knee injury?Brady will also be 33. If there is no football in 2011 that will be two years Brady will have missed in three years. ( I do not know what that last sentence has to do with a new contract)LOL!

I'm not sure what your point is. If you're saying that doing a contract with a 33 year old brings variables into play that doing a contract with a 28 year old doesn't, then that's true without a doubt and any contract will reflect the reality. But, what does that have to do with when the Pats should do a deal with him?

If you're arguing that the Pats should wait until the end of the season because of his age, just to see what "might happen" as he adjusts his game and aging knees to a new reality, then, if I were Brady and I felt/knew that the Pats had waited until the last possible moment to do a deal so they could see "how I did" all the way through the end of the season and if I turned out to be just fine, then I'd be inclined to test the Free Agency waters because of the implicit breach of trust.

Any contract will have to take into account the contingency that 2011 might be a strike year, but that wouldn't drive the timing of the negotiations and any deal. It will drive the content of the negotiations, but not their timing.

As for the ancillary issue of what it would mean for Brady to have missed two of his potentially most productive seasons to injury and a strike, well that's a separate matter and a topic for another thread.

Last edited:
Actually, they'll know if he is afraid to step into passes after week #1 if not pre-season.

I mean, other than can he get back on the horse that threw him - a yes or no question - what is there?

I'd probably say that they might have to wait until week five or six to see that he is back to his old form, but otherwise I agree. Once they know that, they will get moving.

Unfortunately, because of the rules involving the salary cap possibly going away in 2010, "ASAP" probably means early March 2010.

How does that come into play? (not challenging you, just curious) Couldn't any contract be structured with various contingencies in mind? Why would that stop the Pats from entering into negotiations with the Franchise QB? I'm not a Sports Lawyer and would bow to anyone who is or who knows more about this than I do, but couldn't a contract contain contingencies or couldn't an "Agreement in Principle" be reached subject to the resolution of the CBA negotiations? Once again, not arguing with you, just asking.

Last edited:

I agree with your analysis of surrounding a player with a team, but Brady's abilities depend on his talent, knowledge and training, not on who plays with him. His production may depend on surrounding players to a degree, but not how "good" he is. A minor nit perhaps, but a distinction nevertheless.

I agree and I think it's more than a "minor nit."

From what we can "know" through the media, Brady doesn't seem like a guy who will insist on being the highest paid QB just for ego. The consensus of folks out here who seem to know what they're talking about is that paying him in the top three would get the job done; that makes sense to me.

But, beyond that, the idea that he would (or should) take a dramatically lower deal than his talent commands is, IMO, just sentimental thinking and ultimately demeaning to Brady.

Tom Brady is an athlete with a rare and special set of gifts, both physical and "leadership." Yes, those around him make his success possible, but Brady is the one whose extraordinary abilities make the defining difference at the end of the day.

Finally, we shouldn't forget that those around him are also being paid (and frequently very handsomely!) according to their abilities, consistent with what the market dictates for their respective positions. Tom Brady should be paid in a similar manner.

Last edited:
Is this the order from spiritual leader Dala Llama??:p

Yes. Buddha works in mysterious ways. It is Borges' karma that he be vaporized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back