Welcome to PatsFans.com

Border Patrol agents sentenced to 11 years in prison

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

What a Banana Republic we live in.

INVASION USA

Border Patrol agents sentenced to prison 11-12 years for shooting drug-smuggling suspect in buttocks as he fled across frontier

Posted: October 20, 2006
    5:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Agent Jose Alonso Compean. Courtesy of KFOX-TV
    Two U.S. Border Patrol agents were sentenced to prison terms of 11 years and 12 years for shooting a drug-smuggling suspect in the buttocks as he fled across the U.S.-Mexico border.

U.S. District Court Judge Kathleen Cardone in El Paso, Texas, sentenced Jose Alonso Compean to 12 years in prison and Ignacio Ramos to 11 years and one day despite a plea by their attorney for a new trial after three jurors said they were coerced into voting guilty in the case, the Washington Times reported.

As WorldNetDaily reported, a federal jury convicted Compean, 28, and Ramos, 37, in March after a two-week trial on charges of causing serious bodily injury, assault with a deadly weapon, discharge of a firearm in relation to a crime of violence and a civil rights violation.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=52545

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

Wow, there are a lot of players here, on both sides of the aisle.. the bottom line here is that no one has the testicles to declare a policy on out stance on illegal immigration.

http://washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20061017-115523-6203r
    Several members of Congress, including Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner Jr., Wisconsin Republican and chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, have suggested congressional hearings in the matter and have asked the Justice Department to review the case.
    Sen. Dianne Feinstein, California Democrat, also asked Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, Pennsylvania Republican, for a full hearing, saying "the facts do not add up or justify the length of the sentences for these agents, let alone their conviction on multiple counts."
    On July 25, the U.S. Probation Office in El Paso recommended to U.S. District Judge Kathleen Cardone, who oversaw the trial, that each agent serve 20 years in federal prison. The sentencing is scheduled for tomorrow in U.S. District Court in El Paso.
    In an unusually detailed three-page statement issued last month, U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton in El Paso, whose office prosecuted the case, said the two agents were charged because they "fired their weapons at a man who had attempted to surrender by holding his open hands in the air."
    He said Compean tried to hit Aldrete-Davila with the butt of his shotgun, "causing the man to run in fear of what the agents would do to him next." Mr. Sutton said that while both agents reported that Aldrete-Davila was not armed, they fired at least 15 rounds at him, hitting him once.
    Mr. Sutton said that if the agents thought the shooting was justified, "there was no reason for them to conceal it from supervisors and remove evidence from the scene."
    The prosecution began after an investigator from the inspector general's office located Aldrete-Davila following a complaint about the shooting by his mother, who lives in Mexico. Court records show the mother called a Border Patrol agent in Arizona who notified homeland security officials

3. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

This is absurd. These agents shot at an admitted drug dealer, who had near 800 pounds of dope with him, and had illegally ccrossed into our border, yet, our guys get time, 11 years to boot, and this CRIMINAL gets off. HA! Plus, this looser has a civil suit all worked up to sue the agency.

Banana Republic.

4. pats-blue

pats-blue Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I would hope there is more to the story...but if they actually admit and it is a FACT he was DEFINITELY unarmed and not seeking a postion of cover to arm himeself or something like that you simply cannot shoot an unarmed man...even a drug dealer. Take his dope that is there and get him another day...or run an catch him.

That being said I have seen "facts" of cases peverted so I am not sure what to say about the BP agents sentance...but for sure the CRIMINAL with the dope doesn't deserve a dime...to bad you entered into this country illegally WHILE commiting a MAJOR felony...come here and spend the 25 years in jail you should be serving and then we will talk about the $$$. Mexico murders and jails multiple American citizens every year for minor things yet WE have NO rights down there...and we aren't entering illegally. A man from AZ spent 3/4 of a year in jail for ONE BULLET they found in the trunk of his car...no gun...just one bullet...gee do you think there was a search an seizure issue? No of course not since we have no rights there...no like ILLEGALS seem to in this country.

Back to the point if the facts are they just shot him because he was getting away and there was no danger to themselves...they deserve to go to jail, just my opinion. I will leave it open since there are "concerns" that the "facts" don't justify the punishment according to some politictians so it appears there is some concerns with the case that the "facts" are not what they seem...if they are not..then I say put the prosecutor in jail along with the Duke rape case prosecutor for violating the accused rights.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

Excerpt:

"We both yelled out for him to stop, but he wouldn't stop, and he just kept running," Ramos told California's Inland Valley Daily Bulletin. Aldrete-Davila crossed a canal.

"At some point during the time where I'm crossing the canal, I hear shots being fired," Ramos said. "Later, I see Compean on the ground, but I keep running after the smuggler."

At that point, Ramos said, Aldrete-Davila turned toward him, pointing what looked like a gun.

"I shot," Ramos said. "But I didn't think he was hit, because he kept running into the brush and then disappeared into it. Later, we all watched as he jumped into a van waiting for him. He seemed fine. It didn't look like he had been hit at all.

6. pats-blue

pats-blue Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!! So if I read this right one of the BP agents
    thinks his partner had been possibly shot and is down, the suspect turns towards him with what he thinks is a gun and he fires. Doesn't think he hit him. So where did the hands up surrendering shooting happen? If he was only running away because he thought he was going to be hit buy the butt of a shotgun why did he run straight for the get away van? I take back everything I said, this is a travesty, typical pandering at the expense of those that protect us as usual!!!!!

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

The beauty of this all is this admitted criminal drug dealer, who had 800 pounds of dope that would probably end up going to school children, got amnesty, and has a civil rights lawyer waiting to sue. This country really has really lost itself.

What a Banana Republic.

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It sounds to me like they fired their weapons because they felt they could get away with it or were angry, not because they felt that their lives were in any danger. If I was on their jury I don't think I'd be willing to lock them up. The police do need to be given a certain amount of discretion/immunity since these situations aren't all that easy to judge fairly. The courts had as much time as they needed to make a decision, these guys had to act right away. I am sure that neither should be allowed to hold a job that requires them to carry a weapon though. Its wrong to use deadly force to stop a pot dealer from running away.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

Ramos was Border Agent of the year in 2005. Hardly some trigger happy loon. These guys were agents for years. why on earth would they shoot at someone just because "they thought they could get away with it"? What is that supposed to mean? That after years on the job, one day they showed up and said "let's shoot at someone today"? These guys are border agents. They face smugglers, drug trafficers, and in some cases, even Mexican military aggression. That job is no joke, and if some of them shoot at an admitted drug dealer, then I'll beleive them before I believe the criminal.