PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boomer Esiason: Welker won't be back until 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fan-freakin'-tastic.

I like Boomer and listen to him every morning on the FAN. However, I really think Wes plays the last few games next year if for no other reason than to get rid of some of the mental injury baggage Brady dealt with this year.

I expect Welker to be healed by next October at the latest. He is one of the toughest SOB's on this team and He will be physically ready next fall. I dont expect to see him playing a big role until the end of next season though.

Last time I check, there isn't a football analyst with a medical degree. No one knows when Welker will be back. The medical journals say anywhere between 7-18 months with a 68% chance of an almost full recovery almost immediately. I trust that more than Boomer or any other analyst.

Boomer has no clue. He may be right and he may not be.

We know the timeline is very tight to be back for the start of the season and reasonable after being PUPed. Beyond that it all depends how the surgery goes and how the knee responds.

Has he had the knee operation yet? Can the extent of the damage

be determined before the operation? I think the answer to both

questions is no.

I like Boomer and listen to him every morning on the FAN. However, I really think Wes plays the last few games next year if for no other reason than to get rid of some of the mental injury baggage Brady dealt with this year.

how so? he'll start the year on pup - at which point he has six weeks to be activated and be lost for the year. His position, and the way he plays, it's imperative that he make quick cuts, stops, turns and shifts. I highly doubt he will play in 2010 too.

Last edited:
The fact is...

Nobody really knows.

He could be back by kick-off 2010... or he may never be back (as the Wes we all know and love) ever again.

The fact is...

Nobody really knows.

He could be back by kick-off 2010... or he may never be back (as the Wes we all know and love) ever again.

Bingo, at this point it is just speculation.

It is possible Welker has caught his last pass in the NFL and it is also quite possible he will be ready in time for training camp. Or anything in between.

The bigger prediction there is that the Patriots and Randy Moss are about to part ways.

It would be rebuilding year indeed and a sea change around Foxboro if Jarvis Green, Randy Moss, Adalius Thomas, Derek Burgess, Shawn Springs, Stephen Neal and Laurence Maroney were all gone from the team next year.

Maybe you can get a 4th or 5th rounder for Moss and Adalius, who knows.

I took a look at next year's draft and it's loaded with WRs, big DEs and DE/OLB pass rushers. I'd be very tempted to just chuck next year into the rebuilding bin (super tough schedule and all) in order to stock up on as many draft picks as possible, wipe the slate clean and go into 2011 fully stocked.

There are some big stud WRs out there like Arrelious Benn, some great route runners like Damian Williams, some Patriot type possession guys like Mardy Gilyard and Golden Tate, some burner all purpose types like Jacoby Ford, and many other WRs besides.

Start over, take 3 of them, add Julian into the mix, and I'm sure Brady would be more than happy throwing to 4 heady second-year players in 2011.

The fact is...

Nobody really knows.

i fear the last one wes welker, plays like a RB and i never seen a RB come back and be the same as he was befor from this type of injury.

but if any one can do it's wes

Last edited:
I'm afraid that a guy like welker, Whos whole game is quickness and agility, may never be the same player again regardless of how long he takes to heal.

The guy has over-achieved his entire carreer. A guy like him "losing a step" is a near disaster.

All is specualtion. The best guess seems to be that Welker will not be ready to begin the season. The question is whether Welker will try to get back in October or give himself the fuill year to rehab from his injuries. In any case, we shouldn't count on Welker for the first half of the season.

i fear the last one wes welker, plays like a RB and i never seen a RB come back and be the same as he was befor from this type of injury.
Frank Gore had ACL replacement surgery on both knees, in consecutive years, while in college. He was younger than Welker and is a power back but he's still quick for his size and isn't limited at all.

Terry Allen also tore both ACLs and returned for the most productive part of his career.

Ronnie Brown looked great until he suffered an unrelated injury.

regardless of when he is back .wwe need rebuild our WR core from the draft like GB did. We kinda patented the idea initially in the decade for building from the draft and have gotten away from it for a while now . look at the colts ..they hardly sign any big name FA or trade for one.

They said prior to the game that it takes receivers 12-months to heal from this injury and he probably wouldn't be "right" until the next season. That statement seemed to indicate he would be on the field by next season but playing at a reduced level.

As that estimate sounded to be based in medical expert opinion on the nature of the injury, I'm going with that. Dr. Esiason was once a Jet, so his opinion lacks credibility.:)

They said prior to the game that it takes receivers 12-months to heal from this injury and he probably wouldn't be "right" until the next season. That statement seemed to indicate he would be on the field by next season but playing at a reduced level.
We just don't know.

Braylon Edwards was a month ahead of Welker and returned for training camp. He's more speed than quickness but he's a WR still.

Deion Branch was two weeks later than Welker and returned after being PUPed. Some will say he wasn't the same but he was the same (in numbers) the second half after the return as he was in his first year in Seattle.

We just don't know.

Braylon Edwards was a month ahead of Welker and returned for training camp. He's more speed than quickness but he's a WR still.

Deion Branch was two weeks later than Welker and returned after being PUPed. Some will say he wasn't the same but he was the same (in numbers) the second half after the return as he was in his first year in Seattle.

I was going with optimism, that the other report was more favorable so that's the one I like. Medical conditions can be generalized to some extent but individual responses to those conditions are often unique. My pessimistic side tells me Welker is a quick, cutting receiver and may have trouble recovering at all as he cannot modify his game to that of a burner if he loses quickness or agility. As that is even worse news (and consistent with Branch's story), I like the 12-month answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back