PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boomer Esiason:BB should pull brady early in such games

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
WEEI.com

Esiason did have one concern regarding the Patriots. “The only criticism that I’m going to levy here at the Patriots is leaving Tom Brady in late in these games,” he said. “And I know he pulled him out yesterday, and I don’t know if it was because [Julius] Peppers was around his ankles or something late in the fourth quarter. I’m telling you, you embarrass people like this and you leave your quarterback out there, he is going to be a target, whether you like to think about it or not, or anybody talks about it. And that would be something that if that ever happened where he would get hurt or something like that in that situation, that would be just a terrible decision on coach Belichick’s part.

He finally did pull Brady with 5 minutes to go and the game sealed. I think BB could have pulled Brady earlier in the 4th but Tom is such a competitor, I know he wants to stay in there and see it through to the end. Managing star players and making sure they don't get hurt is one thing but still you have to win football games and balance that with the player's desire to play. And nobody wants to play the game of football and compete more than Tom Brady.

I think BB will be pulling Tom again if it gets into a blowout situation and we're into the 4th quarter. But I think you've got to leave him out there at least 3 quarters save for perhaps the Miami game if we've got things locked up. Losing Welker in 09 really, really blew chunks and pretty much killed our chances since we were in the '2 receiver' offense mindset back then. The offense is so much more flexible now that hurting any one player wouldn't hurt too much, but losing Brady would still be fatal to our chances at the Superbowl.

Last edited:
I'm sure BB appreciates the advice.

I have to agree, I'd like to see him pulled when the game is out of hand, remember, Brady goes down, so doesn't our chances for a championship. But I believe in BB, so I'm not concerned really

Re: Boomer Esiaison:BB should pull brady early in such games

Patriots have won only two blowouts (refreshing, really).

The first one was against the trash-talking Jets. No WAY Brady misses the chance to finish that game. The second one, Brady came out, maybe one series too late for a lot of people, but the Bears had had some flashes and were really a few bad breaks/plays from making it closer.

You also have to consider the importance of the 60 minutes theme. The Patriots lost some bad games in the second half last year and against the Jets in week two this year. They've also allowed the Steelers and Colts to put up some points late. It would have been pretty weird for BB to have had the big huddle in the Jets game, gone all "60 minutes!" on them then started pulling players.

Now, the 60 minutes message has been received. I'm reasonably sure that, moving forward, any Pats blowouts will mean more of Hoyer, more sitting of aching players.

I think its more of Tom wanting to stay in the game more than anything. If Brady felt like he should come out of the game I am sure he would have said something to BB by now. Brady has been quoted by saying how much fun it is being out there when you are up by so much.

Pulling Brady with a big lead is certainly one option.

However, there are others. :)

Last edited:
This is all part of the play 60 minutes mentality.

Belichick is teaching the younger players to play to the end and that's hard to teach after you pull Tom.

I Can't say "In BB I trust" with this one. The longer you play, the greater your chance of getting hurt is. BB should pull Brady out no matter how Brady feels about it.

I don't think you should ever let fear of injury dictate the way you play a game in professional sports. Playing injured is a different story. But if the Patriots play their backups, it should be because the Patriots want their backups to get repetitions. And not because they are afraid Brady or someone else is going to be injured.

I don't think you should ever let fear of injury dictate the way you play a game in professional sports. Playing injured is a different story. But if the Patriots play their backups, it should be because the Patriots want their backups to get repetitions. And not because they are afraid Brady or someone else is going to be injured.

it's not playing injured. it's weighing pros and cons. Brady has no business playing when the game is out of hand because he can get hurt. Its also a good opportunity to give Hoyer reps.

There was no way in hell he was pulling Brady from the R*A*T*S game, and he pulled him in the middle of a drive against the Bears. I don't really see the issue here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back