Welcome to PatsFans.com

Book: Saddam faked WMD arsenal to trick Iran

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +818 / 7 / -2

4+ years later, it seems Saddam knew he didn't have WMD's, but didn't think the US would actually invade.

November 13, 2007

BOOK: SADDAM FAKED HAVING WMD ARSENAL TO TRICK IRAN

Living in a hush-hush prison cell inside Baghdad International Airport after his capture in a Tikrit spider hole, ex-Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein was a study in megalomania for the FBI agents tasked to interrogate the despot. He was obsessive about cleanliness, constantly washing his hands with baby wipes - just like most American G.I.s - and even used them to polish the fruit his military captors delivered. Though jailed and facing certain execution, he believed, Saddam still thought he would be viewed as one of the region's great leaders in a thousand years, he told his FBI interrogator.

[​IMG]
    Saddam Hussein: Cried when FBI interrogator went home

This fascinating story of Saddam's last days unfolds in journalist Ronald Kessler's new book, "The Terrorist Watch: Inside the Desperate Race to Stop the Next Attack," which we report on exclusively in today's Daily News. The chapter on the FBI interrogation of Saddam reveals essential insights that are certain to raise new questions about how the U.S. became mired in Iraq.
    Saddam told the FBI that before the 9/11 attacks - the impact of which he misjudged as badly as he misjudged President Bush, he admitted - he had anticipated that UN sanctions would be lifted and he could resume making a nuclear weapon. But he also admitted to not having any WMDs before the 2003 U.S. invasion. His deceptions were intended as a ruse to convince Iran that he was a threat to them, he said.

"What better way to do that than have the Americans think he had WMDs?" Kessler told me last week. If true, that was as big a miscalculation by Saddam as the decision by the U.S. to invade Iraq. It's also worth asking why the Bush White House and U.S. intelligence community never seriously considered that scenario to explain his actions.

The book reveals that Saddam had little affection or trust for his two maniac sons Uday and Qusay, who were slain in a firefight with American troops. When an FBI agent pressed him about his relationship with them, Saddam snapped back: "Leave me alone. You don't get to pick your kids. You're stuck with what you're given."

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/2007/11/book_saddam_faked_having_wmd_a.html

2. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That's really interesting, I'm definitely going to have to pick that book up. If true, man, how dumb can you be? "Hey let's see now, this Bush guy is a total cowboy, he wants me gone, but hey, I'm going to guess he doesn't have the stones to invade, so I'll just continue flipping him the bird with both hands." That Saddam is some piece of work. Oops, I mean WAS a piece of work, sorry about that one Saddam!

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 18 / -17

It could have been worse. He could have had Ronnie, Jr and Patti.

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

this has been speculated for years.... and what WMD skeptics pointed to from day 1....

he had to keep Iran guessing throughout the 90s, especially after the U.S. devastaed his military in the Gulf War... there's a reason Saddam was a "brutal dictator"...

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +818 / 7 / -2

Are you talking about Reagans kids, and saying that they were worse than Uday and Qusay Hussien?

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +818 / 7 / -2

He should have come clean. It's interesting to see how he thought the UN was going to lift sanctions, and how he was going to start his nuke research up. Imagine a Saddam controlled nuclear Iraq, next to an Amenejhad controlled nuclear Iran? :eek: Like that dude said in Lord of War "sometimes you don't want either side to win". :D <--------(Green Smiley people)

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 18 / -17

It's a joke, but maybe you were too young. Many Republicans were somewhat embarrassed by the antics of Ronnie, Jr. and Patti.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Who gassed all those little kids and their mothers that we saw pictures of?
    :confused:

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +818 / 7 / -2

Sure NEM.

"Iraq appears not to have come to a genuine acceptance -- not even today -- of the disarmament, which was demanded of it and which it needs to carry out to win the confidence of the world and to live in peace."

Dr. Hans Blix, Chief UN Weapons Inspector
    Addressing the UN Security Council
    January 27, 2003
    http://www.un.org/apps/news/infocusnewsiraq.asp?NewsID=354&sID=6
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/27/sprj.irq.transcript.blix

"The nerve agent VX is one of the most toxic ever developed.

13,000 chemical bombs were dropped by the Iraqi Air Force between 1983 and 1988, while Iraq has declared that 19,500 bombs were consumed during this period. Thus, there is a discrepancy of 6,500 bombs. The amount of chemical agent in these bombs would be in the order of about 1,000 tonnes."

January 27, 2003

"I have mentioned the issue of anthrax to the Council on previous occasions and I come back to it as it is an important one.

Iraq has declared that it produced about 8,500 litres of this biological warfare agent, which it states it unilaterally destroyed in the summer of 1991. Iraq has provided little evidence for this production and no convincing evidence for its destruction.

There are strong indications that Iraq produced more anthrax than it declared, and that at least some of this was retained after the declared destruction date. It might still exist. Either it should be found and be destroyed under UNMOVIC supervision or else convincing evidence should be produced to show that it was, indeed, destroyed in 1991."

January 27, 2003

10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

it's bitter sweet seeing one new layer of their fraudulent talking points the past 5 years evaporate seemingly each week.

at this point, the Reich's rationale for war has retreated to little more than: "but, but, .... he gassed the Kurds 18 years ago!!!!"

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +818 / 7 / -2

How do you figure? One could easily make the case that this revelation would help the WMD issue, by illustrating that Saddam was showing he had them. You have to go back to 2003 and consider the circumstances, and the intell that existed, and not look at it with hindsight, that was learned after the fact. Remember, I'd have passed on invading, but clearly, the onus was put on Saddam, and he, if this book is accurate, was acting as if he had them, which would quantify the coalitions fears.

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

please don't insult war dissentors further than your usual lot by suggesting it was all mere "hindsight" ... people were screaming for more answers back then, even as early as late 2001 when Rumsfeld was mumbling a noun a verb and Iraq in every cabinet meeting... if anyone needs to go back and reconsider the circumstances in 2003, it's our war supporters and apologists...

Randi Rhodes, Noam Chomsky, Michael Ruppert, pretty much all of Air America Radio, Greg Palast, Chuck Hagel, .... the names are endless of people who insisted we look MUCH deeper before letting the bombs fly... regardless of Saddam's posturing...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  13. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm in the building trades((((((not college educated:(

And I distinctly remember after listening to and reading some info on this during 2002 and 2003 that the wmd case was way overblown...Then in feb 2003 the weapon inspectors were reporting that there is nothing, bush pulled em-out and shock and awe happened.

Did I believe they would find wmd after they invaded?((((possible small amounts...

After it became 100% clear there was nothing, the new arguement was that iraq shipped the wmd's to syria...

14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

lol... yeah, Syria... the country which was revealed to have severed ties with Saddam's regime some 9 years ago... and that remains the rallying call by those in denial of the truth all these years... it's a psychological condition known as the "lemming effect"....

15. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was told I was the one who is wrong...I was unpatriotic, a soldier hater, bush derangement syndrome and a bunch of other garbage :eek: ..

16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Here's Boy King to reporters the day after the Duelfer Report of Oct. 6, 2004, which essentially destroyed the Bush League's claims of WMDs once and for all:

"Iraq did not have the weapons that our intelligence believed were there. ... (However)... Based on all the information we have today, I believe we were right to take action.... He retained the knowledge, the materials, and the intent to produce weapons of mass destruction."

Let that be a lesson to you, nations of the world... If the New World Order suspects you merely have the knowledge and/or intent, we will rape your country. ...

In other words, here's the leader of the "free" world fully admitting his entire case for attacking a nation that never threatened us was complete bunk, yet desperately defending the ploy to the end because well, we all know why. Operation Iraqi Liberation...