PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Booing a 12-3 home team for going 3 and out: No Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I'm sick of is hearing all the older people ***** and moan about people who "joined the bandwagon" in 2001. Well, I was 15 and just starting to get into football around that time, does that make me less knowledgable than you? Nope, sure doesn't. In fact, I'd argue that I'm more a student of the game and know more about it than a lot of these "old timers" do. Just because around the time I got to be the age where I got big into football does not mean I'm not allowed to expect success from the team I root for. It's a good thing to always expect to be the best.

I was at the Bruins trophy game - Chad OchoStinko made one catch and got the biggest cheer of the game....that should tell you something.

That judging people for not booing for the right things isn't enough, we have to judge them for not cheering for the right things too?

The only crap was what the Patriots did in the first half of that game on Saturday. I don't care who is out there, poor play is poor play. Would you prefer everyone cheer with each three and out?

I don't get it. This is a silly thread.

Are the Boston fans spoiled. Hell, yes! But that first half performance was still boo-worthy. Would I rather be a Cleveland fan, Hell, no! The only difference is that as a Boston fan I have FAR less boo-worthy moments as a Cleveland fan, but that does not mean that no Boston team is beyond being worthy of being booed.

How about dead silence....that is sometimes the starkest response.

PS I wasn't at the game, and I didn't boo the tv, and wouldn't have booed if I was there. But it is certainly my right to boo any damn thing I want, except for the cheer leaders.

I just don't understand this kind of attitude. We're not talking about some middle school jv squad here, we're talking about NFL cheerleaders! What if their enthusiasm is lackluster? What if they drop their constant smiles, or let their pom-poms droop? What if they decide to put on coats when it's above freezing? As paying fans, don't we have the right to expect better? Booooo!

They deserved it and just because they are 12-3, if they are throwing up a clunker, they should hear it and fans have no other avenue to respond.

What a silly thread. It's because the fans in these northeast (NY & Boston) markets demand success that helps the team and forces the team to know nothing but success. The two go hand in hand. The pressure the fanbase and media in the local market are good for sports in the area as it pushes them to be the best.
{QUOTE]

Is this a business model I am not aware of?

Obviously it's over your head if you can't comprehend the simple fact that the Boston fan base and media expect greatness from their local sports. If that demand wasn't so high, do you think all of the Boston team sports would be championship contenders every year? Nope.

It's not rocket science.

it sounded like the crowd noise, at least in the 1st quarter, was effecting Miami they used a couple early time-outs, false start, even the broadcasters commented on the noise factor. the it seemed to quiet down a ways into the second half.

I was just disappointed about the silence at that point, okay Boo the pats fine but at least keep the crowd noise on Miami. fans leaving and quieting down is exactly what teams want, allows them to function better at the LOS.

coaching the crowd 101:D

Last edited:
Can I see the results to this survey you took that gives you this knowledge?

Obviously it's opinion but I base it on behavior and history. The stands filled up and the waiting list grew with the success of the Pats since Kraft bought the Tea.....or was that just a coincidence? If not then it's an educated guess that they would start to go with some losing seasons.

Cut the crap, they deserved to be boo'd for their first half performance. The team looked like they were still celebrating winning the AFC East. Maybe getting boo'd can be a wakeup call to stop sleep walking.

Funny people still using this mythical "garbage time" when refering to the Colts game. They were an onside kick away from tying the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously it's over your head if you can't comprehend the simple fact that the Boston fan base and media expect greatness from their local sports. If that demand wasn't so high, do you think all of the Boston team sports would be championship contenders every year? Nope.

It's not rocket science.

I think you are on to something.

Cut the crap, they deserved to be boo'd for their first half performance. The team looked like they were still celebrating winning the AFC East.

Funny people still using this mythical "garbage time" when refering to the Colts game. They were an onside kick away from tying the game.

Keep re-living those defeats....oh, wait.

Obviously it's opinion but I base it on behavior and history. The stands filled up and the waiting list grew with the success of the Pats since Kraft bought the Tea.....or was that just a coincidence? If not then it's an educated guess that they would start to go with some losing seasons.

Whatever you say.

it sounded like the crowd noise, at least in the 1st quarter, was effecting Miami they used a couple early time-outs, false start, even the broadcasters commented on the noise factor. the it seemed to quiet down a ways into the second half.

I was just disappointed about the silence at that point, okay Boo the pats fine but at least keep the crowd noise on Miami. fans leaving and quieting down is exactly what teams want, allows them to function better at the LOS.

coaching the crowd 101:D

Excellent point. It's the overall behavior that sticks out. I figure I'm the 12th man out there and I have to do my job:D

Keep re-living those defeats....oh, wait.

Those 14 wins last season were so great, did us a lot of good when we went one and done at home again. We're worse defensively this season, how dare I be critical. This team needs to prove a lot.

I just don't understand this kind of attitude. We're not talking about some middle school jv squad here, we're talking about NFL cheerleaders! What if their enthusiasm is lackluster? What if they drop their constant smiles, or let their pom-poms droop? What if they decide to put on coats when it's above freezing? As paying fans, don't we have the right to expect better? Booooo!

Well, if we're "going there", that's a very bad looking bunch out there. San Diego and Dallas aren't exactly looking over their shoulders at the New England squad.

I was at the Miami game with my son on 12/24, Section 136, Row 4 and I not only booed in the first half, I ...GASP...left after the Pats scored their last touchdown. According to many of the posts in this thread, that makes me classless, clueless and a bandwagon fan. Please allow me to respond.

1.) I am over 50, born of parents who themselves are Boston sports fans, and I have rooted for all 4 Boston teams since I was about 10. I have lived and rooted through some putrid eras, not just "bad teams", for the Pats, Bruins, C's and Sox. I have never wavered in my support of them and my family and I have been buying tickets for all of them through thick and thin. (My father had season tickets to the Pats when Schaefer Stadium opened...sitting on aluminum benches in the endzone...and that was during a bad time for the team. But, we would cheer when the team did well on the field, and boo when they did not.)
2.) I paid $340 for my two tickets. I paid $40 for parking. I paid almost $70 for two chicken tender meals, two clam chowders and two beers. I had a two hour drive from NH to the stadium, and close to a three hour drive back, since it takes close to an hour to get out of the parking lot, so I used probably $50 in gas and tolls.
3.) My father brought me to alot of games in all sports when I was young. He was a proponent of "lets beat the traffic" so we almost always left early, regardless of the sport, season, game, score, etc. So, I grew up saying to myself, "When I take my son, I am never leaving early" and in fact, this past Saturday was the first time in years I have ever done so.
4.) When a team (and a league) schedules a game the day before Christmas, knowing that much of the fan base lives far away, and knowing it can take 30 or 45 minutes just to get from your parking space in the parking lot to Route 1, then that team and league should not be surprised when people leave early.
5.) I am self employed. When I do a good job, oftentimes my clients will say so. When I make mistakes, as I do sometimes since I am human, I hear about it.

Having said all that, I have no problem booing the team when they play poorly (or, as others have pointed out, make poor play calls.) I have no problem leaving early (although, I usually do not.) Such behavior does not make me a bad fan, or a bandwagon fan. So the next time you feel the need to pontificate about what type of fan I am, please, just STFU since you really have no clue.

Can I see the results to this survey you took that gives you this knowledge?

You can look the results up yourself. The attendence records from 90-92 can't be that hard to find.

You're apparently a better fan if you cheer a dead team that didn't show up for the first half. Those are the 'real' fans :rolleyes:

It's not rocket science.

This has already proven out in the Boston Market, with the Bruins. The fans put up with garbage for years. It was only when the Garden started emptying that Jacobs loosened up the purse strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back