PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bolts fire Schottenheimer?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a completely unrelated comparison.
No, it is perfect. They offer Marty a one year extention. Cool. But then both coordinators leave. Now they fire Marty BECAUSE the coordinators left. Don't take my word for it. That is what Spanos said:

San Diego Chargers president Dean Spanos has released a statement regarding head coach Marty Schottenheimer's dismissal. Spanos said, " Today I made an extremely difficult decision: Marty Schottenheimer is no longer the head coach of the San Diego Chargers." Spanos said the team is responsible for paying the final year of Schottenheimer's contract. He added, "Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007."

Is this bizarre or what? Looks like San Diego is Dystunction Junction to me.

I wonder if Norm Chow is gonna get an opportunity finally.

Just think about that. Promote a coach who was an utter failure at Indiana? A guy who was the laughing stock of the league at Buffalo?

Well what about the 3-4 defense that SD has in place? Ron Rivera is 4-3 all the way. Just like in Pittsburgh, they hire a Cover 2 guy but that D has 3-4 written all over it. It already bolds well for us that the Steelers will be temporarily weakened due to their transition from one system to another. Let's hope SD are forced into the same situation. Sure, hiring an outsider may work in the long haul but this is a win NOW business.

Ok. Marty is fired after a successful season (I'd call 14-2 successful for a franchise like SD) because both of his coordinators leave for HC jobs. That would be like BB being fired after a successful season (2004) because both of his coordinators leave for HC jobs. According to Spanos the defections of the coaching staff was the main reason for the move. Forget everything else (feuds, coaches' history, etc.). That's all I was trying to get at.

Hmmm. Not sure. Re-read what Spanos said:

Dean Spanos said:
...the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level.

Looks more like the coaching changes were the final straw, and that the dysfunction with the GM was the main reason. At least, that's what I gather from that statement.

Well what about the 3-4 defense that SD has in place? Ron Rivera is 4-3 all the way. Just like in Pittsburgh, they hire a Cover 2 guy but that D has 3-4 written all over it. It already bolds well for us that the Steelers will be temporarily weakened due to their transition from one system to another. Let's hope SD are forced into the same situation. Sure, hiring an outsider may work in the long haul but this is a win NOW business.

You're right. But still, Wade Phillips as HC?

I mean, Dallas is going to lose 9 next year.

I agree with you in most cases, but look, I'd take Ron Rivera over Wade Phillips and Cam Cameron any day. If you ask me, the so-called leftovers are of much much higher quality than the schmucks who landed jobs already.
Jerry Jones should hire you. He wasted all his time and staff researching and interviewing head coach candidates and you had the answer all along just from watching highlight clips on ESPN.

Anyway, Wade Phillips has been a pretty successful head coach.

Watch them hire Art Shell :rofl:

I would be a more successful gm then napolian.

You give me the chance... I guarantee it.

100% serious.

Send this out to all of the teams searching.

Polian is a butt-pirate compared to me.

Do I have the ego for it?

Yes.

Do I have the eye for talent?

Yes...

It's not the booze talking either...:cool:

Last edited:
Hmmm. Not sure. Re-read what Spanos said:

Looks more like the coaching changes were the final straw, and that the dysfunction with the GM was the main reason. At least, that's what I gather from that statement.

I think we're both right. Yes the fued was at the core of the problem, however Spanos clearly states that if the coaching staff from this past season was still intact that this would be just another boring Monday night.

Final straw? Yeah, that's about what Spanos said. We like Marty and we're going to give him an extension. Oops, wait a minute. Our cordinators got head coaching jobs. Harrumph harrumph. Did I say extention? He's fired. Right now.

Well, with Marty and Philips and Cameron and three assistant coaches gone, at least you guys start start from square one building from scratch.

Jerry Jones should hire you. He wasted all his time and staff researching and interviewing head coach candidates and you had the answer all along just from watching highlight clips on ESPN.

Anyway, Wade Phillips has been a pretty successful head coach.

Watch them hire Art Shell :rofl:

I live in Buffalo. I got Wade Phillips up close 24/7. Excuse me if I think he's a "bum."

This guy is bad news, that's all I got to say.

And you're lauding Jerry Jones for his football expertise? Two words for you: Barry Switzer.

Gotta be so frustrating being the Chargers, if Troy Brown doesn't strip McCree, then they probably win the SB instead of the Colts.

Now this....

Maybe whatever FAs the Chargers have will now be looking to go elsewhere.

If only the Colts could lose all their coordinators, that would make my offseason.

Well, Tom Moore looks like he's about 5 minutes away from landing in an assisted living facility so maybe there's some hope yet.

Final straw? Yeah, that's about what Spanos said. We like Marty and we're going to give him an extension. Oops, wait a minute. Our cordinators got head coaching jobs. Harrumph harrumph. Did I say extention? He's fired. Right now.

If I'm not mistaken, the extension was something like for 1 year. Not exactly akin to saying "We like Marty." I thought it was more of a "all things being equal, we'll give Marty one more shot."

Well, with Marty and Philips and Cameron and three assistant coaches gone, at least you guys start start from square one building from scratch.

When exactly did I give the impression of being a Chargers fan?

Is Jim Mora employed yet. He seems like he would be a good coach for Sandiego.

I was suprized, I thought they would have done it weeks ago if they were gonna fire him. Maybe they will bring in the Tuna, Dennis Green, or Art Shell.

I was suprized, I thought they would have done it weeks ago if they were gonna fire him. Maybe they will bring in the Tuna, Dennis Green, or Art Shell.
Denny Green! ROFLMFAO. :D

Well, Tom Moore looks like he's about 5 minutes away from landing in an assisted living facility so maybe there's some hope yet.
Casey Stengel, George Halas and Connie Mack are rolling over in their graves. Jack McKeon slaps you upside the head from this side of the ground. :D

Is BP that far out of the picture, really.? A talent ladden team with no HC.
How many years left on his Dallas contract?
What would be the buy out and who would, could help pay? DPs anyone?
Has BP got the pull to get a quallity coaching staff together on short notice?
Would SD figure, after what's happened, to dump MS and reload the coaching
staff basically from the ground up without a backup plan?
BP with a new staff could work for SD, anything else, not too promising for this year anyway. -jmo-

PS: :D ,..... they could always ask Arizona for DE !! :bricks:

I heard in the Media (Don't remember exactly where) that no first year HC has ever won a SB.....

Dumb move.

Marty is not the greatest of all coaches, but he shouldn't have been fired. He deserved one more shot. It must have been that bad over there, eh. If the Chargers were going to fire him, why didn't they come up with someone? Their best hope is that Lovie Smith or Ron Riveria gets the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes