PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boldin was never an option...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
For all the hue and cry about missing out on Anquan Boldin, this article should makes things clearer:

LINK

Last year, Boldin switched agents from Drew Rosenhaus to Tom Condon. From that point on, he wasn't going to NE. Condon and the Patriots have been on bad terms since they got Ben Watson to dump him as his agent and sign a 6-year contract (ending his holdout) as a rookie. I doubt they even talked about Boldin.

tough to do business that way.......

I guess peppers was never really an option, either....for some other reason

there's always a reason around here as to why particular moves don't get made....it called 'the front office is always right'

there's always a reason around here as to why particular moves don't get made....it called 'the front office is always right'

Peppers was never an option because he wanted a ridiculous amount of money.

You've got to be kidding me. You really felt like seeing Peppers' contract literally handcuff the team to do anything else for years to come? Missing out on him was a blessing due to not only the ridiculous contract, but also the fact that he's never played OLB in the 3-4 and the fact that he just isn't very good against the run, which was another problem last season.

Boldin, however, is another story. They should have done whatever they could to get him for the money he got. But alas, it is what it is.

Pepper's wanted ridiculous money, and Boldin will be 30 before Christmas and he is injury prone.

I'm pretty sure Condon would deal with the Patriots if there was a flying Elvis on the paycheck and the dollar amount was the highest. I mean, I don't really think agents can market themselves well by excluding certain teams.

You've got to be kidding me. You really felt like seeing Peppers' contract literally handcuff the team to do anything else for years to come? Missing out on him was a blessing due to not only the ridiculous contract, but also the fact that he's never played OLB in the 3-4 and the fact that he just isn't very good against the run, which was another problem last season.

Boldin, however, is another story. They should have done whatever they could to get him for the money he got. But alas, it is what it is.

nahhh....I was just making a parody of the excuses that the kool-aid gang comes up with

anything that happens to the pats, the kool-aid gang pretty much chalks it up to 'god's will'

I'm pretty sure Condon would deal with the Patriots if there was a flying Elvis on the paycheck and the dollar amount was the highest. I mean, I don't really think agents can market themselves well by excluding certain teams.

The fact is, though that they haven't done a deal with Condon since Watson.

Exactly, bottom line is this came down to money and BB not wanting to part with that lowest Round 2 pick, which to me is damn ridiculous !

That's ok, we'll pay the price for it, especially now that we've seen Mason and Bryant move on. Have fun watching the Jets defense kick our arse next season and walk away with the division due to BB and his damn stubborness !

Boldin wasn't an option when the Ravens were willing to give him a long term deal. Boldin is a risk with a long term deal. He has hamstring issueswhich could quickly end his career especially the way he plays. If Boldin was willing to play out his current deal, the Pats probably would have gotten him since they had more to give up than the Ravens. Once a lucrative long term deal became part of the trade, it was over.

A year from now, the Pats may look pretty smart for passing up on Boldin. Then again, they may look pretty foolish for the next three or four years. Boldin was a gamble and I don't know if the upside significantly outweighs the downside.

Boldin wasn't an option when the Ravens were willing to give him a long term deal. Boldin is a risk with a long term deal. He has hamstring issueswhich could quickly end his career especially the way he plays. If Boldin was willing to play out his current deal, the Pats probably would have gotten him since they had more to give up than the Ravens. Once a lucrative long term deal became part of the trade, it was over.

A year from now, the Pats may look pretty smart for passing up on Boldin. Then again, they may look pretty foolish for the next three or four years. Boldin was a gamble and I don't know if the upside significantly outweighs the downside.

beautiful.....either it was the right decision or it was the wrong decision.....any other startling revelations? pats passed on risk in 2006...how'd reche caldwell work out? the pats had no problem risking going with randy moss, how'd that work out?

at some point in life you have to go beyond the idea that whatever decision they made, it was the right one....or better still, jus tplay both sides of the fence and say nothing at all

That's interesting... Condon seemed more level headed than previous agent and got the player to shut up and play better.
The fact is, though that they haven't done a deal with Condon since Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes