PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BOLD PREDICTION= JJ Watt Will Not be Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.
if BB wants to come up with something opponents havent seen before, the cameron jordan is the most likely choice......with his size/speed, he can fill a couple of roles for the pats.....

Actually, I think Watt's length (nearly 6'5"+) may edge him a bit closer to BB's prototype DE than some of the other guys (based on the hypothesis that a guy can get heavier, but he can't get taller) and 290 lbs is probably close enough to 300 for now.

However, I think BB is looking for a DE who....
- has a a lot of tape over multiple seasons showing (with numerous examples), the ability to:
(1) cover gap assignments/hold the PoA well v. the run, frequently tying up multiple blockers
(2) shed, get pressure, make plays (including RB tackles) from several different DL positions

There may be a couple other prospects who are ahead of Watt on at least a couple of those qualifiers, if not all three. That, in combination with draft pick cost, would probably be the critical factors in Watt vs. NOT.

I'd like to think that BB is a little less pedantic. We have enough of those DE's already in Stroud & T&G Warren, and Brace

Last season we spend just over 50% of our time in 4 man fronts. I think what makes Watt so attractive is that aside from having the potential to grow into all this skills you mention for the 3-4. He also possesses the ability to rush the passer more effectively from the DE position than the others and the versatility to slide down/or out when the Pats go to their 2 and 4 DL configurations. He might even have the agility (at least VJ thinks he has) to stand up and rush the passer.

Your points are well made, but this might be the year to add some different DE skill to the mix.

Last edited:
you know this how?

Rex Ryan recently called Gholston a great athlete and very smart, but "phony." If you're athletic and smart and such that much, then something is wrong in the "self-motivation" area. He's also been called "soft" by many sources, which shows he wasn't really trying a whole lot on the football field.

Watt by all accounts has very high work ethic. He went to CMU for a year before walking on at Wisconsin. We won the Lott IMPACT Award last year. Academic All-Big 10 his last two years. He already has his own charity.

Both athletic. Both smart. The work ethic is why one has accomplished nothing and why the other is going to accomplish a lot, whether he's part of the Patriots or not.

I'd like to think that BB is a little less pedantic. We have enough of those DE's already in Stroud & T&G Warren, and Brace

Last season we spend just over 50% of our time in 4 man fronts. I think what makes Watt so attractive is that aside from having the potential to grow into all this skills you mention for the 3-4. He also possesses the ability to rush the passer more effectively from the DE position than the others and the versatility to slide down/or out when the Pats go to their 2 and 4 DL configurations. He might even have the agility (at least VJ thinks he has) to stand up and rush the passer.

Your points are well made, but this might be the year to add some different DE skill to the mix.

Not sure exactly how "pedantic" applies to this . . . .

However, I think BB is looking for a DE who....
- has a a lot of tape over multiple seasons showing (with numerous examples), the ability to:
(1) cover gap assignments/hold the PoA well v. the run, frequently tying up multiple blockers
(2) shed, get pressure, make plays (including RB tackles) from several different DL positions

. . . . but, whatever.

In any case, we have yet to see what Stroud will actually bring to the table in 2011. We don't yet know for certain that Ty Warren will return healthy AND capable. And I was possibly watching an entirely different sport since I didn't see either Brace or G. Warren (who we don't appear to actually "have" at the moment, BTW) managing (1) or (2) on anything beyond an occasional basis.

Rex Ryan recently called Gholston a great athlete and very smart, but "phony." If you're athletic and smart and such that much, then something is wrong in the "self-motivation" area. He's also been called "soft" by many sources, which shows he wasn't really trying a whole lot on the football field.

Watt by all accounts has very high work ethic. He went to CMU for a year before walking on at Wisconsin. We won the Lott IMPACT Award last year. Academic All-Big 10 his last two years. He already has his own charity.

Both athletic. Both smart. The work ethic is why one has accomplished nothing and why the other is going to accomplish a lot, whether he's part of the Patriots or not.

How the hell do you know that Watt will become an all pro without playing a down in the NFL?

Some athletes look awesome in college but they are playing for ZERO $$$ at that time....once some of these guys become instant Multi-Millionaires overnight they get complacent and don't look anything like they did at the college level and fail in the pros because they don't have that killer instinct that got them to this level.

The draft has been,is,and will always be a crapshoot - you may get an overacheiver,a player that looks just like he did in college or may get a true DUD who once looked like a STUD in college

In your assessment there would rarely be a bust in the top 15 of drafts....I don't have a stats sheet but I would near guarantee you in the history of the NFL draft,there have been MANY more duds than studs in the top 20 of the first round.

You can't tell what a player will do at the top level once he is rich...he may still have that KILLER instinct and go to the HOF,or he may just be a rich lazy baztard that guys like Gholston are who never really cared if he was going to acheive stardom or not.

You can't tell what a player will do at the top level once he is rich...he may still have that KILLER instinct and go to the HOF,or he may just be a rich lazy baztard that guys like Gholston are who never really cared if he was going to acheive stardom or not.

I'm not sure why you're going off against rich athletes. Any athlete taken in this draft in the 1st round, including your binkies, will be instant millionaires. Does that mean this will make them more likely to bust? People have to learn to deal with money when they become rich, this applies to ALL the 2011 draftees across the board. So you really have no argument here.

Lastly, is a guy who had to work his butt off as a walk-on to become a starter and has shown a constant work ethic on and off the field more likely to succeed at the NFL level. Yeah, I think that shows me something. That's something Watt has done that a lot of these other 1st round prospects haven't.

It certainly is more of an assurance than a guy who has never shown that at the college level, missed a year for disciplinary issues, then showed up at the Combine, which is essentially his job interview, overweight and out of shape. Yeah Robert Quinn, I'm looking at YOU!

Not sure where this fascination comes from.. but he is not the Proto-Type guy we are looking for at DE.. He is Mike Wright 2.0.. that's not a bad thing but he is no #93 clone..

He is represented by Tom Condon .. strike two and his size is not ideal either..

What am I missing here folks?

Judgment.

By the way, the LAST thing that predicting that any one player will NOT be drafted is, is BOLD.

How the hell do you know that Watt will become an all pro without playing a down in the NFL?

Some athletes look awesome in college but they are playing for ZERO $$$ at that time....once some of these guys become instant Multi-Millionaires overnight they get complacent and don't look anything like they did at the college level and fail in the pros because they don't have that killer instinct that got them to this level.

The draft has been,is,and will always be a crapshoot - you may get an overacheiver,a player that looks just like he did in college or may get a true DUD who once looked like a STUD in college

In your assessment there would rarely be a bust in the top 15 of drafts....I don't have a stats sheet but I would near guarantee you in the history of the NFL draft,there have been MANY more duds than studs in the top 20 of the first round.

The draft is a crap shoot because there aren't enough guys with elite character AND elite ability. Watt is one. There might be one or two others in the whole draft.

Love me some Family Guy, but can't get YouTube at the moment.

Anyway, taking the use of the term by what I was able to look up ....

–adjective
1. ostentatious in one's learning.
2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.

... I'm still unsure as how what I projected BB to be concerned about WRT DE qualifies as "BB being pedantic." Seems like simple solid general principles to me.

The draft is a crap shoot because there aren't enough guys with elite character AND elite ability. Watt is one. There might be one or two others in the whole draft.

Amen.

Gotta love it when guys who have absolutely no clue how to judge a prospect's merits try to gain accolades by declaring that our drafting ANY one guy is likely...and that predicting we won't is actually "bold." :rolleyes:

Gholston never gave a damn. Watt is one of the top-5 highest character guys in the draft. What?

:agree:

Gholston was supposed to be the next dominate pass rusher to come out of the draft since Terrell Suggs went to Baltimore years past. His top asset was, likely his speed, which was neutralized at the next level. Toss in a hint of poor work ethic and organizational turmoil - firing of the rat and replaced with the pig - and you got yourself a bust.

Watt earned himself a scholarship at WISC after switching from the TE position to DE. Sounds like that takes some hard work. Not to mention, he already started a non-profit charity.

Sounds like a good guy...

With that said, I don't care for him playing for the Patriots on Sunday... but I wish him luck on any venture with exception of beating the Patriots.

Yeah, he's pretty much exactly the prototype except that he needs a year to add bulk. No other DE is ready to start immediately, but Watt has the highest ceiling of all the guys that will be ready in a year.

I remember jays52 posting about how Wright and Watt are so different, but I don't know where that post is. I'll summarize though: The only thing they have in common is the color of their skin.

Nice!!
jester.gif

Not sure where this fascination comes from.. but he is not the Proto-Type guy we are looking for at DE.. He is Mike Wright 2.0.. that's not a bad thing but he is no #93 clone..

He is represented by Tom Condon .. strike two and his size is not ideal either.. What am I missing here folks?

I never understood the fascination with the guy on the Patriots for those reasons as well and I didn't mentioned it for fear of getting chastised :scared:

And yes, it's not a very bold prediction, but with the way everyone talks about him (he's the biggest binky in the draft contest) it is pretty bold for this board overall

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back