Welcome to PatsFans.com

Body Scanners - Thank Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Nov 13, 2010.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,442 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

The Rutherford Institute - Commentary

[SIZE=-1]Change doesn't come from Washington. Change comes to Washington.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]BARACK OBAMA, DNC speech, Aug. 28, 2008[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]We lose ourselves when we compromise the very ideals that we fight to defend. And we honor those ideals by upholding them not when it's easy, but when it is hard.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]BARACK OBAMA, Nobel Lecture, Dec. 10, 2009[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. tehmackdaddy

tehmackdaddy Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't have a problem with body scanners at airports. We don't have a "right to fly."

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +388 / 15 / -14

We're a very paranoid society and that goes back well before Obama. Not long ago, I read that only two people died in the last decade from unpasteurized milk, yet people are paranoid about pateurization. The absurd thing with anti-bacterial things is that everyday we touch currency, doorknobs, desks, walls, flush handles, and so on, but now when someone shakes our hand our paranoid society immediately goes for the disinfectant. I have no problem with body scans, but I think it's part of our insanely paranoid country, a paranoia that I think is more common among conservative leaning people than liberal ones.

4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I just wonder what the long term health effects will be on frequent flyers. If I was one I'd opt out. I think the whole song and dance by airport security is just a placebo anyway.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  5. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Of course you do. :rolleyes:

6. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yes we do... At least indirectly. When the government is using my tax money to artificially prop up these companies, I have a right to use the service my tax money goes too... especially since most airports are as well tax funded systems.

If my tax money goes to provide this service, I expect to be able to use this service without having to compromise my rights.

7. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

<Insert title here>: TSA encounter at SAN

CNN has a story about the above link. This man refused a full body scanner, and ten when requiring a full body pat down, requested that they do not "touch his junk", when security heard that they required a supervisor to come to the inspection, insisted that they be allowed to "touch his junk" in a pat down by placing their hands up between the thighs.

He claimed that this is sexual harassment... Security said it isn't... he said, "If you weren't the government it would be" - Perfect line.

Imagine you being at work, and your boss had to pat you down all the way up your thigh to your hips before work... Same thing...

I guess you have no "right" to work, so you must submit to a public groping before you can make a wage to provide for your family.

Strange world we live in, and even stranger rationale employed by some to tell themselves "this is normal, and okay"

8. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I'd be more concerned if I worked for the TSA and was exposed to the scatter all day long. They can wear radiation detection badges like in hospital and dental offices but the cheapest way to check if you're being exposed (poor man's detection device) is to tape a penny to a piece of dental xray film and carry it with you for a month or so. Then develop it and if the image of the penny is visible on the film, you're being exposed at an elevated level. Radiation damage is incremental so any exposure is dangerous and it's a risk-benefit as to whether to get exposed BUT until the TSA employee union starts complaining, or Congress gets involved...

9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

[​IMG]

Classic case of the "Frog Legs" process that the gummint uses to get us used to things that we, in the not-too-distant past, would have never tolerated. It works with taxes, idiotic campaigns, war, and the police state.

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +388 / 15 / -14

Well, who do you think is more worried about gays indoctrinating our kids, Communists getting into government, Muslims being terrorists, illegal immigrants beheading citizens, and so on? I think the reason more conservatives than liberals become police and troops is because they are more paranoid. The reason that more liberals than conservatives because teachers and social workers is because we're not really afraid of people who are different from us. Do you have a better theory?

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +698 / 7 / -2

Think about how much all this costs. Think about how much all this government costs. From the TSA, to social workers, to six figure cops, to hundreds of billions per year for wars, to billions after billions to illegal invaders, as well as more billions in hand outs by way of foreign aid. It's simply unsustainable. I want security as much as the next guy, but wow this is starting to look like massive overkill. Massively expensive overkill to boot.

12. tehmackdaddy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's a government breach of duty issue, not an airport security issue.

Though I do agree with your premise on principle.

13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,442 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I just remember all the talk here about our rights, our 4th Amendment right and all the rest getting trampled by Bush. Now Obama is bringing this to new levels and the left is okay with it?

Why are you okay with it?

By right ... Congress is supposed to approve this. Obama who bashed Bush on our rights went over Congress's head and approved this. our rights eroded under Bush in the name of security and we are furthur losing our rights under Obama in the name of security.

Two different Presidents doing the same thing.

Where is the outrage and why is it mostly just from the right?

14. tehmackdaddy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not "normal" or "okay," but possibly necessary - at least for the time being. Are you familiar with at-will employment?

15. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Sure am! - Which is why I am 100% self employed!
    Eff the BS.

So... as long as no one is putting a gun to your head, your employer scan do anything to you, becuase you have the choice to leave? Honestly you are correct, but that doesn't mean you are free from a lawsuit.

More Americans die from ALCOHOL a year than from 9/11... Is it ok becuase we enable legally, and mass advertise drinking and that we have an army of drunk individuals taking out other individuals to numbers staggering far greater than 1 mass attack on 9/11?

The Alcoholics are waging war against America! They despise our soberness, they can't be reasoned with, we must set up check points to all major roads in order to protect us from them. We need to search your car and person to ensure you aren't smugling any drinks on you.

WTF does "but possibly necessary - at least for the time being." - even mean? Are you saying that one day in the future were not going to have to go through this? Are you saying that in 15 year, they are going to say... "Alrighty! Were good now!, no more pat downs and scanners! WE MADE IT!"

You gave it up, your never getting it back, and every day, people like you give up their personal liberties, and you keep giving, more tax, more freedoms, more privacy, more hours at work... keep giving... One day you realize how much you have given up in small, unnoticeable chunks

16. tehmackdaddy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When I've given up my liberty in exchange for government power with regards to a necessary part of life, you have me. When it's regarding a completely voluntary activity, you don't.

If the airlines and the airports were doing this voluntarily I'd have a better argument, but, unfortunately, it's being swept under the giant rug of the federal government and its expenditures. Also unfortunately, most of America doesn't care what is under that rug or even care to look for the rug itself.

17. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ok, and fair point, so then let me ask you, should our tax money be given in mass quantities to fund and prop up voluntary activities such as flying?

Without my money( and everyone else ), there is no flying.

Side note: Read the fine print of these new Southwest Airline commercials for 59 dollar rates. Fine print says 370.00 per take off in fees and taxes...WHAT!?!?!?! - That's crazy! 59.00 service, and a 600% tax rate on it!... wow...

18. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

where do you see that??? when I went to the site, it was $3.70 in fees (with $5 or $10 other security type fees). Perhaps it was a typo originally that was corrected.

Southwest Airlines - Taxes and Fees

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  19. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It was fine print I read quickly during the Pats game, so I may have not seen a period in that... it looked like 370 per take off... I am probably wrong on that then...

20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Paranoia feeds the machine....