Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bobby Jindal Asks Obama To End Moratorium On Deepwater Drilling

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

No, this is not an article from "TheOnion"....this is frickin REAL.

Jindal is claiming that they need to drill oil to keep jobs? WTF????? How about the generations of fisherman who have already lost their jobs? Does he want to take away the fishin ban as well?

Jindal is a complete partisan a-hole....

Bobby Jindal Asks Obama To End Moratorium On Deepwater Drilling

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, that's it. Hundreds of thousands of jobs are being lost and he's partisan...

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

I don't know if he's right to want the moratorium ended, and I don't doubt there's a partisan agenda involved, but at the same time, this is a terrible situation and a true dilemma. I'm sure the moratorium is going to have a negative effect in addition to the ongoing crisis.

I'd like to see these considerations evaluated on their merits, and leave the political bs out of it for a while. (pipe dream?)

4. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

......huh?

he want to remove the 6 month moratorium so they can inspect the frickin wells so this kind of spill doesnt happen again, while an estimated 35 million gallons of oil ar ecurrently bsitting in the gulf??????

so they can attempt to drill more oil in an area that is currently gushing oil, so frickin oil companies can make more $$ while the price is going up?

How many oil workers ar ethere compared to local fisherman and the supply chain they empoy???

How the flunk is that looking out for the best interest of his state and its LOCAL workers?

you have gotta be $#!TTING ME!

read the response from the white house, they basically are telling him to go fukc off.

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I just hope they can do a quick, yet obviously thorough, safety review. Oil jobs are important too, but for the time being we need to KNOW that the drilling that does continue is done safely.

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

khayos, why would you say "hundreds of thousands of jobs are being lost?" Do you think that the rest of us cannot read or have you been taking lessons from Harry and 13 and a few of the others here who think that facts don't matter and if 10 sounds good, 100 will sound better?

From the article cited:

This moratorium is estimated to kill up to 10,000 Louisiana jobs and possibly 20,000 jobs throughout the course of the year.

A little truth goes a long way in making any side of a story believable.

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

The Feds of course were supposed to be inspecting these wells all along.

So you are saying the Feds f'ed up and the workers need to lose their jobs and income for 6 mths as a result of the feds incompetence.

I understand.

8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

Your point re. exaggeration is valid, but back to the issue at hand, this is still a pretty big deal, no?

9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

Well, he feds' incompetence as well as that of BP.

(Isn't that a little like blaming the cops rather than the criminal?)

--------------------------------------------------------

btw, isn't a reasonable middle ground to be getting out and inspecting these rigs asap, and when each checks out, letting them commence drilling rather than waiting 6 mos?

10. pherein

pherein In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +42 / 4 / -2

Just FYI Holy Diver,

but I think this gives you some very good reasons why Jindal wants the oil industry to continue.

JUST THE FACTS: All about Louisiana's oil-and-gas industry | HoumaToday.com

Offshore drilling ban could be a blow to Louisiana economy | NOLA.com

The US Government not only gave the Deep Sea Horizon a passing safety grade but gave BP a safety award for the Deepwater Horizon rig

Louisiana Oil Spill: Feds Gave Safety Prize to Transocean's Deepwater Horizon - ABC News

Everyone failed here, I think, and it doesn't seem right to shut down the 3rd largest revenue of Louisiana because the Government and the corporations don't care to due their job correctly the first time. We have already probably lost fishing and tourism for the season.

I dont like to see those riggs pumping oil either, but we probably are "throwing the baby out with the bath water" in this respect.

I mean what are all the people without work suppose to do, and the restraints, merchants, bars, street singers, artest, etc.. ( no ones has money to buy anything) you think the government and BP will cut us a check? weekly

just giving an opinion, Im not sure what to do anymore, we are in allot of trouble.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  11. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, check out pherein's post above. Nice try though. The article you cited probably referred to new drilling & only direct jobs. Let's try and think about the whole economic impact next time, mmmkay?

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 3 / -10

Liberals are notorious for doing that.

13. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Bingo. Why shouldn't he ask, his state's in Big Trouble.

14. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I guess they all play politics: June 2 and June 3rd several sources report that the feds have granted permission to drillbabydrill in the Gulf shallows.
    New Gulf of Mexico oil well drill approved - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana |

Gulf of Mexico Oil Well Approved - WSJ.com
    Daily Kos: State of the Nation

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

The Feds aren't shutting down just BP's wells they are penalizing everyone, so they must feel they weren't doing a proper job inspecting these rigs. Logic dictates this right.

BTW the EPA is missing in action they are supposed to be running the cleanup efforts, not BP. This is by LAW.

Teh Feds through EPA was supposed to have a National Contingency plan to address this sort of disaster. If they had a plan I have see NO EVIDENCE of it.

EPA and the “National Contingency Plan” Climate Audit

from the law:

16. pherein

pherein In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +42 / 4 / -2

hey patsfan13, just info , I believe the disaster recovery plan for deep oil drilling was waived by the Bush administration in 2007, forget were I heard this thou.

17. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

this is like asking to have the asbestos laws lifted because the asbestos companies are losing money.

I, honestly could give a $#!T less if another oil worker looses their job. GET A DIFFERENT JOB! you just killed the Gulf of Mexico, dikhedz!

the entire fishing industry will have to do just that because of your precious drilling.

LA fishing idustry lost 2.2 BILLION after Katrina .... This should be at least 50X that.

why th eflunk doesnt Jindal ask to lift the fishing ban? THose people need to get back to work. Oh ....because there was a FRICKING DEEP SEA OIL DISASTER!!!!!

and you guys are all sitting here defending the people who caused the mess....

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

The Disaster revocery plan is supposed to cover the Clean UP no stopping the leak, that is the job of the oil drinning company (BP in this case).

Could you provide a link?

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

Why don't you quit your job and give it to someone with a family to feed.......

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

mmmmk, if you promise to actually read Pherein's cited article which restates the same figures in the first article cited - for direct and indirect jobs.

Louisiana Economic Development Secretary Stephen Moret has had a team working to assess the moving target of the economic impact of the rig explosion since late April.

So far, it looks like 22 of the 33 rigs that are affected are off the coast of Louisiana, Moret said, and it's possible that some of the remaining 11 could be rigs that were scheduled to start operations in Louisiana waters in the next few months.

Depending on how the rules shake out, Moret has three scenarios for how bad the moratorium could be for Louisiana's economy.

Within a very short time, Moret believes the state will lose 3,000 to 6,000 direct and indirect jobs.

If the suspensions are maintained, it could rise to 10,000 jobs. And if the moratorium persists while oil prices rise, the state could lose 20,000 jobs over the next 12 to 18 months in the form of lost direct and indirect jobs, and missed job creation opportunities because rising petroleum prices stimulate more energy development.

Since it's unclear what's involved with the shut-downs, it's unclear whether companies will keep their rigs afloat in the Gulf with a skeleton crew or move them to Brazil, which is considered one of the world's biggest deepwater drilling opportunities.

Offshore drilling ban could be a blow to Louisiana economy | NOLA.com