PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bobby Carpenter Cut!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we both understand that White has his job because of his special teams play. This makes sense. White and Slater are the best special teamers on the team.

Are you suggesting that Rivera (who might be the next player cut) is a better special teamer than Carpenter?

Yes, I am.

Surprising. Patriots need a fifth DT like forston or an injured st lb like white more than a fourth lb like carpenter. Carpenter was an effective backup at three lb positions.

Not too worried about LB depth, since Hightower and Mayo can play just about anywhere and Ninkovich, Cunningham and Scott can all play OLB if needed. A little bit surprised, though, that Rivera apparently beat out Carpenter and Tarpinian. Didn't see that coming. I figured that Forston would be the next cut, since the DT depth is the best that it's been in some time.

Also, Tarpinian made it to the PS, so if injuries force the matter they can always call him up. Plus cutting Carpenter for Salas is one step towards addressing the 22/27 offense/defense discrepancy that existed on the roster as of last night.

Last edited:
Re: Pats release Carpenter

didn't see the dup... close this

Surprising. Patriots need a fifth DT like forston or an injured st lb like white more than a fourth lb like carpenter. Carpenter was an effective backup at three lb positions.
As blase as I've been about the panic over the WR depth, you can count me among the worried about the lack of depth at LB.

In the last day we've cut Tarpanian, Koutavidis, and Carpenter, all coming off of a great game against the Giants. And we've kept Tracy White who in my eyes makes Gary Guyton look effective, and Mike Rivera, who led the team in being the last guy to cover someone out of the backfield. In other words we've cut 3 guys all of whom I'd be comfortable keeping, and kept two guys who are worthless as LB, imho. Very curious. I hope to God the dust hasn't settle on this position

Last edited:
As blase as I've been about the panic over the WR depth, you can count me among the worried about the lack of depth at LB.

In the last day we've cut Tarpanian, Koutavidis, and Carpenter, all coming off of a great game against the Giants. And we've kept Tracy White who in my eyes makes Gary Guyton look effective, and Mike Rivera, who led the team in being the last guy to cover someone out of the backfield. In other words we've cut 3 guys all of whom I'd be comfortable keeping, and kept two guys who are worthless as LB, imho. Very curious. I hope to God the dust hasn't settle on this position
Frankly, if we are at the point where any of White, Tarpanian, Koutavidis, or Carpenter are getting starter reps then we are f'd. So, it really doesn't matter to me if these guys are here or not. I doubt it matters to BB either.

OK, let's not count Rivera, the likely next cut.
=============================
BIG HEAVIES: Wilfork, Deaderick, Love, Brace, (Forston)
This seems fine, although Forston might go to the Practice Squad at some point.

DE/OLB's
Jones, Scott, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Bequette, Francis
Are you concerned with this group?

ILB/MLB
Mayo, Hightower, Spikes
This is where the lack of backup.

ST
White
This is better than the normal two, isn't it?

BOTTOM LINE
If there is an injury at ILB/MLB, can one of the OLB's step in, or do we need to have one of the STer'a back to be the #4 ILB/OLB (Guyton's old position)?

Belichick has said quite clearly that the answer is not Koutouvides or Carpenter. Tarpinian is available to be activated from the Practice Squad if there is an injury.

CONCLUSION
We are fine except for backup ILB/MLB. This 4th inside linebacker is now White (or Rivera), or one of the OLB's. IMHO, Belichick has judged that this backup situaton is not all that important, or that Tarpinian on the Practice Squad provides enough insurance.

Last edited:
CONCLUSION
We are fine except for backup ILB/MLB. This 4th inside linebacker is now White or Rivera, or one of the OLB's. IMHO, Belichick has judged that this backup situaton is not all that important.
..... or that none of them are so good that they are irreplaceable.

This is the hardest cut of all to understand. Spikes has not shown to be durable. And Carpenter has shown some ability to play in and out. I know White is a great special teams player, but I felt we needed the depth

This is the hardest cut of all to understand. Spikes has not shown to be durable. And Carpenter has shown some ability to play in and out. I know White is a great special teams player, but I felt we needed the depth
I'm neither here nor there on Carp but perhaps BB felt it unlikely Carp signs on with another team thereby leaving him available to return to the Pats at a later date should he be needed.

Agree with Uncle and other posters, the Pats will probably juggle their linebackers this year based on health and matchups and don't want to guarantee the full year to Carpenter. If he's still there Week 2, great, if not Tarpinian is on the practice squad.

Carpenter did look good early on, and the camp reviews were great, but there were also times in later games where it looked like he was just going through the motions or just being beaten by physicality.

Frankly, if we are at the point where any of White, Tarpanian, Koutavidis, or Carpenter are getting starter reps then we are f'd. So, it really doesn't matter to me if these guys are here or not. I doubt it matters to BB either.

We made the Super Bowl last year with James Ihedigbo getting starter reps at safety. Based on that alone, I'll never understand these "the backup doesn't matter, because if the starter goes down we're ****ed anyway" comments. Depth matters, and even when you don't have it it's still possible to compete if you scheme around it and are exceptional enough in other facets of the game.

Last edited:

Carpenter is a very bad football player at the NFL level.

The only thing that seems to make any logic in all this is that it could be the fact that LB's in this 4-3 base just simply aren't that important. You lose one by alignment. Plus in any coverage sub packages, its usually the LB that's coming out. And finally there is truth to the fact that Ninko, Jones, Bequette, and Scott all have some OLB position flexibility.

Now that I think on it, I think the real source of my frustration is not necessarily the number of LB's he chose to keep, but WHO they are. White and Rivera simply wouldn't have been my choices. White because I don't think he can play LB, and Rivera because I don't think he's good enough in coverage.

Now that I think on it, I think the real source of my frustration is not necessarily the number of LB's he chose to keep, but WHO they are. White and Rivera simply wouldn't have been my choices. White because I don't think he can play LB, and Rivera because I don't think he's good enough in coverage.
Seems as if Bill Belichick is holding on to his 11 defensive lineman for dear life! :p

Carpenter is a very bad football player at the NFL level.

His career started out that way, but he did play pretty well in Detroit. No a starter but solid depth. Before Fletcher went down i thought he was a long shot to stick, even though he was having a productive camp and looked good the 3 times that I seen him in camp. I thought he was a lock based on Fletcher's injury

Granted that I have only watched the preseason games and I havent been very active reading OTA and TC reports, but from what I've seen, Rivera has a lot of upside to him. And I'm not at all concerned about our LB corps, which was one of the stronger parts of our weak defense last year and seems to have gotten even stronger.

EDIT: If Rivera can do what he did against the Giants every time his number is called, then I would feel good about him having a rotational role in our D giving some much needed rotation to the injury-riddled Spikes.

The only guy I have no opinion about based on this years performances, is Tracy White. He has been a reliable backup for us in the past, but BB doesn't care about the past so White has done something this year to earn his roster spot.

It has to be more than just good ST play, becouse Tarpinian and Koutouvides both played fairly well on ST and both had a great game on D in that Giants game as well.

Last edited:
Tracy White is one of our two ST leaders, along with Slater. These two are good enough to be on the team without any expectation of them every getting a rep as a position player.

On the other hand, either Francis or Rivera will need to be able to contribute at a position.

Granted that I have only watched the preseason games and I havent been very active reading OTA and TC reports, but from what I've seen, Rivera has a lot of upside to him. And I'm not at all concerned about our LB corps, which was one of the stronger parts of our weak defense last year and seems to have gotten even stronger.

EDIT: If Rivera can do what he did against the Giants every time his number is called, then I would feel good about him having a rotational role in our D giving some much needed rotation to the injury-riddled Spikes.

The only guy I have no opinion about based on this years performances, is Tracy White. He has been a reliable backup for us in the past, but BB doesn't care about the past so White has done something this year to earn his roster spot.

It has to be more than just good ST play, becouse Tarpinian and Koutouvides both played fairly well on ST and both had a great game on D in that Giants game as well.

His career started out that way, but he did play pretty well in Detroit. No a starter but solid depth. Before Fletcher went down i thought he was a long shot to stick, even though he was having a productive camp and looked good the 3 times that I seen him in camp. I thought he was a lock based on Fletcher's injury

On a bad defense with weak LBs he made 20 tackles all season, and was asked to not return. I don't know how you characterize that as playing pretty well? I guess that 1st career Int is really sticking in peoples minds.

I don't know what a 'productive' camp is, but like MANY first time Patriot bubble veterans he got a long look, and ultimately came up short. A vet seeing a lot of playing time in camp is not always an endorsement that he is earning a job, but is often an evaluation to see if he fits in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back