PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bobby Carpenter Cut!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No surprise here, IMO

Given Cunningham's preseason maybe Ninkovich moves back to LB resetting the depth at DE and LB in the base.

SAM - Ninkovich, Hightower
MLB - Spikes, Hightower, Rivera
WLB - Mayo, Hightower

LE - Cunningham, Scott, Bequette
RE - Jones, Scott, Francis

We can still use Nink as a DE in sub packages when Cunningham slides inside.

I wouldn't bet on that. I expect Hightower to start. Ninkovich could move back to the SAM if there is an injury though and could rotate into that position at times. Nink's versatility helps here.

One other thing is that the Pats employ a lot of sub packages and only two LBs are on the field during those plays.

Given Cunningham's preseason maybe Ninkovich moves back to LB resetting the depth at DE and LB in the base.

SAM - Ninkovich, Hightower
MLB - Spikes, Hightower, Rivera
WLB - Mayo, Hightower

LE - Cunningham, Scott, Bequette
RE - Jones, Scott, Francis

We can still use Nink as a DE in sub packages when Cunningham slides inside.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ninkovich and Cunningham provide some kind of depth at OLB.

But you still have your list of LBs as:

Mayo -- stud
Spikes -- stud when healthy, which he commonly isn't
Hightower -- likely future stud
Ninkovich, Cunningham -- part timers
Rivera -- unproven at best
White -- injured, and not great when healthy

This is all pretty strange unless one or more of Carpenter/Tarpinian/Koutivides is soon hired back.

Last edited:
I tried searching for the news but all that comes up are debates on whether Bobby should get a haircut or not

Well, now that he is unemployed the whole discussion takes a new turn. Does he save the money since he is unemployed or will he need to cut his hair to go on job interviews?

Nate Ebner - Coverage LB

Last edited:
Hope Carpenter didn't send his wife out house shopping after Fletcher went down.

No surprise here, IMO

I agree. I didn't even count him in my final 53, but thought Koutouvides would make it instead. But that was when I still thought that Tracy White had to be out of the equasion.

Doesn't BB always wheel and deal right after the cuts? I think we get so caught up in who gets cut that we forget it's like Christmas time with him.

once BB knew Tarpinian cleared to the PS, he probably felt more comfortable letting Carpenter go.

Carpenter just really isn't very good. I know a lot of fans feel better with depth that has a name or high draft round associated with it, but Carpenter is gone because other guys are better.
Ninkovich is the 4th LB, and Scott also has played 43 OLB.

Had to make room for Greg Salas. With all the nickle and dime the Pats will be playing, LB depth isn't as critical of a need. Notice all the DLs and DBs the Pats have on the roster.

Nate Ebner - Coverage LB

Tavon has been excellent against TE's reportedly.

Realistic outlook is we will have 2 LB on the field 70% of the time so just rotate Mayo, Spikes, and Hightower in and out. Then you have Rivera in injury situations.

Do we need more then 3 players to play 2 spots?

In the "old" days, we considered guys like Ninkovich and Cunningham to be linebackers. A total of 13 front seven defenders plus 2 special teamers (or developmental players) seemed to be the "norm".

FRONT SEVEN (15 plus 1 special teamer)

BIG HEAVIES: Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Brace, (Forston)
DE/OLB: Jones, Bequette, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Scott, (Francis)
ILB/MLB: Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, (Rivera)
ST: White

Apparently, Carpenter, Francis and Rivera were at the bottom of the LB depth chart. Carpenter was at the bottom. His primary role was probably as the 2nd LB/STer.

Had to make room for Greg Salas. With all the nickle and dime the Pats will be playing, LB depth isn't as critical of a need. Notice all the DLs and DBs the Pats have on the roster.

My thoughts exactly. You have 2 LB or less on the field 70-80% of the time based on what I saw in preseason. So the rotation of Mayo, Spikes and Hightower is perfect.

Are base set is 4 DL, 2 LB, 3 CB, and 2 S.

Let us not forget Ninkovich was are starting SLB last year and had his best pro season.

Carpenter came in to fight for a job and people assumed when Fletcher went down he was a lock. But that was a flawed view because Fletcher was a inside LB who would mix it up with strength. Carpenter is more of a outside 4-3 LB who plays with finesse.

In the "old" days, we considered guys like Ninkovich and Cunningham to be linebackers. A total of 13 front seven defenders plus 2 special teamers (or developmental players) seemed to be the "norm".

FRONT SEVEN (15 plus 1 special teamer)

BIG HEAVIES: Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Brace, (Forston)
DE/OLB: Jones, Bequette, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Scott, (Francis)
ILB/MLB: Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, (Rivera)
ST: White

Apparently, Carpenter, Francis and Rivera were at the bottom of the LB depth chart. Carpenter was at the bottom. His primary role was probably as the 2nd LB/STer.

I imagine if it was just a matter of playing defense Carpenter would be here and White or Rivera would have been cut. Special teams seem to have a lot to do with this decision.

So, we both understand that White has his job because of his special teams play. This makes sense. White and Slater are the best special teamers on the team.

Are you suggesting that Rivera (who might be the next player cut) is a better special teamer than Carpenter?

I imagine if it was just a matter of playing defense Carpenter would be here and White or Rivera would have been cut. Special teams seem to have a lot to do with this decision.

Ninko and Cunningham can both play an OLB role as well as a DE. Playing more than 1 position is a big to BB the mad scientist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes