Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bob Sanders All over the place

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by The Predator, Jan 17, 2007.

1. The Predator

The Predator Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A lot of shows today give Sanders the "key player" for Sundays game. There is no doubt he is a good athlete that has had some good games now he is healthy. IMO we have the ability to take him out of the game by hitting him hard, early, and often. We can use Dillon, Watson, Graham, and Thomas to break the cover 2 in the middle to keep hitting Sanders hard to slow him down. If he is the reason the Colts D has been better (big if), then Moroney could fly by in the second half.
  2. wdkantro2

wdkantro2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Sanders big strength is coming up and stopping the underneath catch-and-run patterns. He is a fantastic tackler on guys who are just catching the ball. How do you beat that? Run Troy Brown or Faulk as a decoy over the middle, have Brady stare him down, Sanders will cheat up and then you have no safety help over the top, and I have a lot of confidence in Caldwell to beat a DB like Jason David downfield.
  3. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Sanders was a significant factor in the loss to the Colts as I recall we couldn't get a running game established and he was the one clogging the lanes pretty good.
    I felt he may have been cheating up to the box also and your plan to combat that seems like a good plan. BB will probably have other schemes to foil this. I hope. Because Sanders played a pretty good game that day.
  4. psychoPat

psychoPat Role Player PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Although it was night,
    Sanders absolutely was the key ... decisive ... factor
    in shutting down our run game
    until we simply gave up trying it.
  5. The Predator

The Predator Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am sure they did not respect our WR either so he jammed the box. I hope they make that mistake again because our 5 wide will be difficult to defend.
  6. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

the whole key is to be close in the 3rd and 4th quarter and not play too much catchup...thats when our running game can help against a hopefully tiring defense
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I expect Belichick to play a lot of sets where a RB or a TE chip him. If Belichick can chip him with a RB or TE they are doomed to stop the run and short pass.

Sanders is real dangerous because he can come up on the line and still drop back if he has to ... like Bruschi did when he was younger.
  8. PlattsFan

PlattsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The key to me is to spread out the field horizontally, forcing Sanders to either move sideways presnap or leave some LBs against a receiver. Either one lessens his ability to get in the box (an LB will need some help deep). He's a key, no doubt, in that Brady will probably key on him to see which way the play goes.

Spreading them out seems like such a good idea, I'm not sure why no one else has done it. Maybe the Chiefs and Ravens just didn't have the players or the coaches to pull it off. NE and Brady love the spread offense, so I expect to see a lot of it.
  9. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +90 / 65 / -57

#87 Jersey

Though a Pats fan, you gotta love guys like Bob Sanders and Troy Polamalu. They are young Rodney Harrisons. I could only hope our Sanders becomes like them, especially this week. I don't hold out much hope for Artrell Hawkins, he takes the worst angles as far as tackling as any Pats safety I've seen in a while. I root for the guy, but I can't wait for Rodney to come back (hopefully this week, or if we are lucky enough to go to the big show, in a couple of weeks), same goes for Eugene Wilson (next year).
  10. alamo

alamo praedica numerum! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

A major common factor in the games the Colts have had a good defense this season has been Sanders... against us, KC, and Baltimore. Because there have now been three such games Belichick will have enough film to come up with a strategy to counter Sanders' presence, something KC and Baltimore didn't have. (And likely wouldn't have been good enough to take advantage of even if they did.)