PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Ryan on Laurence Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
The running back performance will count for naught if the offensive line doesn't get into a groove and work out their scheme execution.

I'm not a big Maroney guy, but how is he not a lock to make this team? Morris and Taylor are very old for a RB and both are frequently injured. They're good, but they are not dependable at all. They're injured much more often than Maroney. Faulk obviously isn't going to carry the load. He almost never gets double digit carries. Then you have a 25 year old RB who's played 3 full years at an average level and who's getting paid very little in the last year of his contract. It only makes sense to give him another chance. It wouldn't be shocking for him to have a great season in 2010. Why would you cut him? To make room for Benjarvus? So you can add another special teamer? All that will do is bring less certainty to the RB position.

I expect Maroney to have another average year, putting up like 800 or 900 yards and getting 4.2ypc. Then in 2011, I wouldn't be surprised if no other team bids high on him and we resign him as a backup. Sure that's disappointing for a 1st round draft pick, but in the grand scheme of things, he can be a player who's talents we utilize for many years in a backup role ala Faulk.

Bingo!

I think we need to stop thinking of him as a first round bust and start thinking of him as a role player on this team, which is what I have been telling people for a couple seasons now.

From the perspective that he is a role player, he will probably contribute this year and do a good job for us and maybe even get re-signed as a role player.

From the perspective of a first round pick, well he is not the next Marshall Faulk. That does not mean the team won't use him.

I see a problem with our run blocking that seems to have not been resolved this year so far...

when healthy, Fred is easily the best running back on this team. Just look at the video of last years Falcons game where he was actually given time to get in a rhythm. He still has speed, can still push the pile, still has some moves, excellent pass blocker, and this is his 13th year now as a pro RB, he knows how to play the game.
But like I said, when healthy... You cant stop getting older.

NFL Videos: WK 3: Fred Taylor highlights

I agree with this, but when was Taylor ever healthy?

Maroney is a lock to make the team imo but he's still an incredibly mediocre RB. Hopefully next year we can draft a stud RB.

Maroney is a lock to make the team imo but he's still an incredibly mediocre RB. Hopefully next year we can draft a stud RB.

I approve this meassage.

Maroney stays...next year I hope BB goes after Ingram. Hopefully the Faders will suck enough for him to be their with their first round pick.....

Until then..RBBC is the way for the Pats..(Whatever they can trade for Mankins will be a bonus)

I agree with this, but when was Taylor ever healthy?

he was probably healthy in is 7 1k+ seasons :D

But a quote from Taylor:
Reporter - do you think you are 100% for this season?
Fred Taylor - "There is nothing 100% left on this body(with a smile)."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey