Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bob Kraft takes a stand

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

It's gratifying that the best owner in the NFL appears to be a fairly liberal guy. Go Pats!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...07/06/leaders_oppose_bid_to_ban_gay_marriage/

Taking on Governor Mitt Romney and the Catholic Archdiocese of Boston, 165 prominent business and civic leaders are publicly calling for the Legislature to reject a proposed constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.
    Article Tools

The group, which includes leading bankers, healthcare executives, lawyers, and leaders of the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, has purchased an ad in The Boston Globe that says the amendment would "take away rights." It urges lawmakers to "move on to other important issues like strengthening the economy, improving our schools, and protecting our neighborhoods."

The signers include Patriots owner Robert Kraft and his wife, Myra; real estate developer Robert Beal; Mayor Thomas M. Menino; chamber president Paul Guzzi, and more than 20 members of the chamber's board of directors; architect Graham Gund; author Robert B. Parker; venture capitalist Richard M. Burnes Jr.; Boston Foundation president Paul S. Grogan; and Stacey Lucchino, who is married to Red Sox chief executive Larry Lucchino.

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

We should just have a vote on it instead of an ammendment because it would be guaranteed to fail. Marriage isn't a right, it's a priviledge and freaky lifestyles (whether gay or with kids or polygamous or whatever) don't get that priviledge. Too bad.

3. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Marriage is a special right for straight people. You only favor special rights when they're for you. A bit hypocritcal, in my opinion.

4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

No, it's what society approves as good and right. Forgetting the kid thing, why can't I marry 2 or 3 or 4 women ? Because society says it's not something to encourage - there's nothing inherently wrong with it. Same with gay marriage. Society as a whole doesn't want it. Sorry.

5. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Why should there be a vote??? Name one vote that was taken that had to do with civil rights, school desegregation, freeing the slaves??? Guess I missed that one..the Governor who was talking all about the vote and how THAT was democracy must have skipped many history classes.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

That's how we decide things, by voting. Allowing gay marriage has nothing to do with desegregation or slavery. We are not saying that being gay is illegal just that it's not legitimite as marriage. Just like polygamy.

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Iguess you missed the 14th admendment and the Civil Rights Act.

8. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +100 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Hartford an now this, I guess everyone is entitled to 2 mistakes in their lifetime:D

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

You're technically right, but check your history:

http://www.mises.org/freemarket_detail.asp?control=282

(Perhaps some people here will like the author's point of view.)

On the civil rights front, when we've had liberal government, Congress has done some good things, but in many cases -- desegregation, interracial marriages, fundamental gay rights, prisoner rights, age discrimination -- the courts have taken the lead by interpreting the Constitution in light of modern mores. If they had not done that, segregation might still be the law of the land.

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

mo·res ( P ) Pronunciation Key (môrz, -z, mr-)
    pl.n.

1. The accepted traditional customs and usages of a particular social group.
    2. Moral attitudes.
    3. Manners; ways.

The point is that a vote is a way to determine accepted custons and moral attitudes. I claim that if we voted on interacial, heterosexual marriage that it would pass overwhelmingly whereas if we voted on homosexual marriage that it would fail by a solid margin. I don't think "modern mores" favor gay marriage any more than they favor polygamous marriage.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The liberals don't want a referendum on this issue because they know they'll lose. They would rather have 2 justices of the state supreme court impose their beliefs on the rest of us.

Pretty sad when you have to take a document written about 200 years ago and "interpret" it to mean that gays are allowed to marry... Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what John and Sam Adams had in mind when they put pen to paper...

12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I can understand the logic behind not taking a state wide referendum on this issue (the left is terrified of a state wide referendum because they know they'll lose).

But how did this law become law in the Commonwealth..? Did the democratically elected governor issue an executive order...? Did the legislature take up the issue and vote on it...? Did the people put it on a ballot to be decided by popular vote...? The answer to all of the above is no. Some ultra liberal judges took a 220 year old document and interpreted it in a way that everyone in the Commonwealth knows was never the intent of those who drafted it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So you must support polygamy then, right..?

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Fine, SOM, let me marry multiple people then. This restriction on marriage isn't confined to gays. SOM.

15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

LMFAO, SOM brings up the war again in a thread nothing to do with it.

16. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow. That's a surprise and something we've never seen before. NEM takes an issue that has absolutely nothing to do with George Bush or the Iraq War, and mentions it anyway.

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

How much do you want to bet that if Bush proposed legalizing polygamy, SOM would throw a fit ? :D

18. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's where you're mistaken, my ignorant friend. Marriage is a public union. It is everyone's business. What two (or more) gay guys do in the privacy of their own bedrooms is none of my business and I don't give a damn about any of that. But marriage is a public union which effects us all.

19. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The discussion was about gay marriage in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I referenced the men who drafted the MA constitution, since that document was used as the basis by the ultra-liberal MA Supreme Court to legalize it.

That does not in any way, shape or form by even the most perverse and twisted logic "open the door" to a response about Bush or Iraq.

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Democracy does not always work when the majority (be they white, straight, Christian, etc.) is asked to share their power. The issues over separation of church and state are an example of the majority trying to bully its way over the minority. Gay marriage, like so many similar issues, is being manufactured by right-wing special interest groups, and we must not allow civil rights to be manipulated in this manner. You might disagree with the MA Supreme Court ruling, but to do so would be to recognize the right of the state to deny equal rights to a perfectly legal union. I would no more support a vote on gay marriage than I would support a vote on inter-racial marriage.