PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Kraft Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
An old timer here-I only post once in a while but I want to thank all of you for your wonderful posts. My thoughts are Tom Brady better be very careful. I don't trust Mr. Kraft. This whole scenario reeks entrapment of Tom Brady and if so its being orchestrated by the league and was presented and approved by Mr. Kraft when the Commissioner made his recent visit to New England. It always has to do with money (newspapers being sold, talk shows watched and listened to, etc.). In my opinion the owners are billionaires who became billionaires by ruthless back room deals. Hope I'm wrong but if they fry Tom Brady I'm probably done with the NE Patriots. Well Tom will most likely be quarterbacking SF 49ers next year anyway.

Let me offer my perspective on this.

Kraft's positioning on this is to be transparent and a custodian of the game and all it stands for. The NFL is in trouble now. It's credibility is compromised. The best thing he can do is help the integrity of the game. If the game and the league is in question, by default his team -and every single team is impacted.

He's also hedging his bets. He knows BB is a wanted man. He also know that the man has made him a ton of money. He's not going to jeopardize that relationship - nor his own integrity over some footballs. I'm betting that the NFL - and Goody are very sensitive to his business interests. I promise you Kraft is working that angle behind the scenes. If Kraft is compromised, his political power or his integrity takes a hit- so does Goodell's

Right or wrong, the perception is that BB tarnished Kraft's multi-billion dollar brand. I'm fairly certain that if BB takes more PR hits and that somehow reduces the estimated worth or revenue streams the team currently enjoys, he will be released from his contract.

Getting up in front of the world and saying how much he believes in BB and Goody is a moron and saying how honest his team is accomplishes nothing in the eyes of public opinion.
I dont think Kraft should be calling gooddell a moron in public. Even though moron hardly begins to describe that lump-in-a-suit .
What Kraft needs to do is hire a really good PR firm to start working the media and 24/7 365 internet to put a positive spin and at least try to conteract all of the mud slinging..

After everything they have been through together ? This is horse-****. If BB is just an employee to him then there is something wrong in Kraft's brain anyway.

You can't glee about the locker room culture and the Patriot Way during positive times and then be all business to protect your brand in bad times. That is very hypocritical.

This is where I go back to my original point. If BB doesn't get fired, I think that shows loyalty. This isn't a Baakle/York thing where they undermined Harbaugh every chance they got.

But yeah, whatever.. I just wanted to express that I am disappointed with Kraft. That is all.

I can understand how you feel. I've had bosses back me publicly when I've screwed up. I've had bosses publicly be quiet, but fought to the death for me behind closed doors and I've had bosses hang me out to dry.

The NFL brand IS in peril.

But Kraft is worried about the NFL while his own team is being assassinated.

If the NFL brand survives it isn't going to matter if your team doesn't Bob.

I don't know if he realizes how much this is affecting his team's fan base.

I can't speak for others but, depending on how things end after next Sunday, I am close to bailing on the Pats and the NFL. I don't think I'm alone.
Absolutely correct sir, the only way to protect the NFL is get rid of the incompetent POS not sacrifice your team to prop him up. Unlike Robert Weathers, I do not see any fifth dimension chess strategy being employed by Kraft, only a man trying to please what he perceives as his friends but are actually out to get him. What I fear most is that Kraft is going to be forced by the POS to chose between BB and the so called good of the league and we all know what the choice will be. Then within a short period of time another will hire him and I hope its Miami. I have been a fan of the Pats as long as Kraft, but if he lets BB go as a result of this BS, I am through with them and I guarantee that I will not be the only one.

I dont think Kraft should be calling gooddell a moron in public. Even though moron hardly begins to describe that lump-in-a-suit .

I agree. Bad choice of words on my part. He can expose his incompetence and lack of organizational skills very easily without it blowing back on him.

What Kraft needs to do is hire a really good PR firm to start working the media and 24/7 365 internet to put a positive spin and at least try to conteract all of the mud slinging..

It's possible but that can also backfire. The Obama & Clinton administrations are masterful at that however that can sometimes bit them in the butt because their agenda is so obvious and over-the-top in their messaging.

This is where I go back to my original point. If BB doesn't get fired, I think that shows loyalty. This isn't a Baakle/York thing where they undermined Harbaugh every chance they got.

For me, Loyalty would be if the team would have been caught with pants down via a video or whatever that proofed malicious intent and he would have kept BB and actually stood up for him.

I think comparing the relationship between a boss/employee in a normal job setting to professional sports is a bit problematic. There are many more emotions involved in the latter.

The only reason I brought up Kraft's family is that he always paraded it around when it suited his image. He now publishes a picture showing The POS with his wife and his girlfriend like a family portrait. I was wrong to speculate his son's feelings. Maybe he enjoys his father having a grand daughter aged girlfriend after his mother died, so I apologize.

I agree. Bad choice of words on my part. He can expose his incompetence and lack of organizational skills very easily without it blowing back on him.

It's possible but that can also backfire. The Obama & Clinton administrations are masterful at that however that can sometimes bit them in the butt because their agenda is so obvious and over-the-top in their messaging.
Agreed but the downside is pretty low here as the Pats are getting roasted in the court of public opinion.

I can understand how you feel. I've had bosses back me publicly when I've screwed up. I've had bosses publicly be quiet, but fought to the death for me behind closed doors and I've had bosses hang me out to dry.
Kraft may be fighting behind closed doors but that hardly precludes him from doing more. The court of public opinion is far more damning that Goodell's clown show investigation. Aaron Rodgers could get the same punishment but nobody cares. Perception here is bigger than reality, and reality doesn't need a helping hand. What the league is doing is minor, and really I don't think any intervention from Kraft is necessary to help the NFL find nothing where nothing exists.

If Kraft walks away from this thing because the NFL says they couldn't find anything I'm sure it's because there was nothing, not because of Kraft. But BB and Brady have already been drug through the mud and nobody will read that report. He should be, should have been combatting the media witch hunt. It looks as though he either couldn't be bothered, or isn't aware. Callous or incompetent- neither garners much respect. IMO

Kraft should stay mum on this until the "investigation" is over. Then if the league decides on a fine, he should flat out refuse and demand everything be made public along with bringing up past incidents by Rodgers, vikings etc.

If the NFL comes out saying there is a natural explanation for the pressure drop he should release a strong statement condemning the character asassination and openly sue ESPN and others for defamation.

Under no circumstances should he accept the verdict that "the drop in pressure was significant but no evidence could be found" or anything that says there was an error by the patriots in any of it.

For me, Loyalty would be if the team would have been caught with pants down via a video or whatever that proofed malicious intent and he would have kept BB and actually stood up for him.

Well...all depends how you view the Spygate situation. In my view, BB didn't cheat. He did what was allowed (videotaping) . What he didn't do was follow what Goody specified in the memo (no taping from the sidelines). IN that circumstance, Kraft made the call that BB acted like arrogantly and rebelous, but didn't warrant getting fired.

I think comparing the relationship between a boss/employee in a normal job setting to professional sports is a bit problematic. There are many more emotions involved in the latter.

Well, I guess it depends. Just trying to relate to situation to me personally so I can try and understand the dynamic, I've had bosses that were friendlies, some I hated and some that I'd run through a wall for because they'd do the same for me.

It is an interesting topic to explore, what kind of relationship do BB/Kraft have? Don't know.

The only reason I brought up Kraft's family is that he always paraded it around when it suited his image. He now publishes a picture showing The POS with his wife and his girlfriend like a family portrait. I was wrong to speculate his son's feelings. Maybe he enjoys his father having a grand daughter aged girlfriend after his mother died, so I apologize.

No need to apologize.

Believe me, I can't stand Goodell. But having a strong relationship with him is a necessary evil.

I think losing Myra absolutely killed him. He's just trying to be happy and if she makes him happy and helps him deal with the pain of losing his wife- and his kids are ok with it, so be it...

Kraft may be fighting behind closed doors but that hardly precludes him from doing more. The court of public opinion is far more damning that Goodell's clown show investigation.

I understand. No question- it is painful. I guess -right now- I don't see the upside for Kraft to fight the PR war in public. He needs to see this play this out some more.

Aaron Rodgers could get the same punishment but nobody cares. Perception here is bigger than reality, and reality doesn't need a helping hand. What the league is doing is minor, and really I don't think any intervention from Kraft is necessary to help the NFL find nothing where nothing exists.

If Kraft walks away from this thing because the NFL says they couldn't find anything I'm sure it's because there was nothing, not because of Kraft. But BB and Brady have already been drug through the mud and nobody will read that report. He should be, should have been combatting the media witch hunt. It looks as though he either couldn't be bothered, or isn't aware. Callous or incompetent- neither garners much respect. IMO

I hear you. Like I said earlier, he'd biding his time, calling in chips and using leverage where he can. Fighting a PR war in the media I don't think is winnable and a huge resource drain, IMO.

RobertWeathers
I guess we have greatly varied definitions of what constitutes loyalty.
I do not consider not firing your most important employee for being insolent to your friend to be a sign of loyalty.
I consider a sign of loyalty supporting your friend who you know screwed the pooch even before the facts come out.
We also know who the first person is and who the second is.
I suggest that most people who agree with my definition.

Kraft's positioning on this is to be transparent and a custodian of the game and all it stands for. The NFL is in trouble now. It's credibility is compromised. The best thing he can do is help the integrity of the game. If the game and the league is in question, by default his team -and every single team is impacted.

He's also hedging his bets. He knows BB is a wanted man. He also know that the man has made him a ton of money. He's not going to jeopardize that relationship - nor his own integrity over some footballs. I'm betting that the NFL - and Goody are very sensitive to his business interests. I promise you Kraft is working that angle behind the scenes. If Kraft is compromised, his political power or his integrity takes a hit- so does Goodell's

Right or wrong, the perception is that BB tarnished Kraft's multi-billion dollar brand. I'm fairly certain that if BB takes more PR hits and that somehow reduces the estimated worth or revenue streams the team currently enjoys, he will be released from his contract.

Getting up in front of the world and saying how much he believes in BB and Goody is a moron and saying how honest his team is accomplishes nothing in the eyes of public opinion.

Nothing against you Robert, but let me count the ways this post is wrong:

1. How does Kraft's refusal to take any jabs at the media for jumping over this so hysterically, nor the absence of any statement merely supporting his Coach, QB and organization "help the integrity of the game"?

2. How would Bob Kraft's giving an iota of public support to BB "jeapordize" their relationship? You have it 180 degrees backwards wrong here.

3. No other team is directly impacted by this, nor is the NFL's business model at stake in any way. If the Pats get slung through the mud again, it actually benefits the league, both long term and short term. Every good story needs a villain. (This is why I believe it's crystal clear at this point where his loyalties lie.)

4. "Getting up in front of the world and saying how much he believes in BB and Goody is a moron and saying how honest his team is accomplishes nothing in the eyes of public opinion" Wow.just.wow. I just listened to ESPN for the first time in a week and they are slaughtering the Pats and fanning the flames of public misunderstanding on a scale exceeding Spygate (while at the same time saying that, yeah this is being blown a bit out of proportion and we need to start talking about something else! LMAO at these guys). Kraft is (for now) still GREATLY respected, and if there was a clip of him giving support to his people and team at this time, and pointing out that his organization is basically being used as a media shooting barrel, IMO it would go a long way in counteracting people believing some of the BS the media is spewing and encouraging.

Last edited:
No need to apologize.

Believe me, I can't stand Goodell. But having a strong relationship with him is a necessary evil.

I think losing Myra absolutely killed him. He's just trying to be happy and if she makes him happy and helps him deal with the pain of losing his wife- and his kids are ok with it, so be it...
OK I disagree but enough said.

Last edited:
I don't agree that Kraft should stay mum. He should have announced the formation of his own team of investigators - to include engineers - so as to put pressure on the NFL to deal honestly.

That the NFL's investigative team is a bunch of lawyers and electronic communications forensics types doesn't make me confident that they even understand the issues. [Unless they're looking into Harbaugh's, Kravitz's, Pagano's and Irsay's phone, email and texting records.]

Nothing against you Robert, but let me count the ways this post is wrong:

No offense taken. This is why fan boards exist.

1. How does Kraft's refusal to take any jabs at the media for jumping over this so hysterically, nor the absence of any statement merely supporting his Coach, QB and organization "help the integrity of the game"?

2. How would Bob Kraft's giving an iota of public support to BB "jeapordize" their relationship? You have it 180 degrees backwards wrong here.[/QUOTE]

There is a small part of me that he doesn't trust BB and once 100% confident, will come public and defend his team, brand, coach and player. He just isn't there yet. Again, hes not going to blindly risk his integrity and credibility defending a people or a process he doesn't fully have confidence in.

3. No other team is directly impacted by this, nor is the NFL's business model at stake in any way. If the Pats get slung through the mud again, it actually benefits the league, both long term and short term. Every good story needs a villain.

The NFLs credibility is at stake and a shoddy game day operational process doen't help. Questions will then come, "Why did the Colts balls stay inflated and the Pats didn't.""How did the Colts find out." There needs to be a concrete explanation for that.

I will say this, if everything comes out and the Pats are 100% cleared and Kraft does NOTHING, then I will be upset. I'm just not there yet because I don't think the timing is right for him to take action. My opinion...

4. "Getting up in front of the world and saying how much he believes in BB and Goody is a moron and saying how honest his team is accomplishes nothing in the eyes of public opinion" Wow.just.wow. I just listened to ESPN for the first time in a week and they are slaughtering the Pats and fanning the flames of public misunderstanding on a scale exceeding Spygate (while at the same time saying that, yeah this is being blown a bit out of proportion and we need to start talking about something else! LMAO). Kraft is [still] GREATLY respected, and if there was a clip of him giving support to his people and team at this time, and pointing out that his organization is basically being used as a media shooting barrel, IMO it would go a long way in counteracting people believing some of the BS the media is spewing and encouraging.

We just see the PR strategy differently. Not sure what else I can say.

I don't agree that Kraft should stay mum. He should have announced the formation of his own team of investigators - to include engineers - so as to put pressure on the NFL to deal honestly.

That the NFL's investigative team is a bunch of lawyers and electronic communications forensics types doesn't make me confident that they even understand the issues. [Unless they're looking into Harbaugh's, Kravitz's, Pagano's and Irsay's phone, email and texting records.]

The ball boys are part-time league employees. They are the ones responsible. Oh wait, they are just starting their second semesters and need to be home by 10pm..

Forensics...incredible. footballs....my god.

A little disappointing, but I can only imagine how upset he is at this point. I'm not necessarily defending him so much as I feel he's really embarrassed that this is what he has had to process on the "eve" of being in another Super Bowl that I'm sure he and the rest of the team feel belongs to them. I'd be frustrated too if I were him, true or not.

With that said, it would have been nice to see a bit more support, especially since it does not seem the NFL found anything conclusive. Whatever. We're on to Glendale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back