PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Cousy: Of years of love, and a long goodbye

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Of years of love, and a long goodbye - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

The game plan, as he called it, rarely varied. Each morning, he'd awaken first and set things on the kitchen table — her pills, the newspaper, a fiber bar, a banana. Then he'd return to the bedroom and rouse his wife. Often, she balked at leaving the warmth of the covers, so he'd gently coax her. Always, he was gentle.

Once she was up, he'd lead her to the kitchen to read the newspaper. It took two or three hours to get through the pages, because she'd underline each sentence in every story with a black pen. After a while he found comfort in reading between the lines, because it was something they shared.

"She was leading a happy life," he said. "It was part of the game plan."
So Cousy worked hard to create the perception that his once-independent wife was vital and healthy. Because she believed she could still drive, he shipped her station wagon to their place in Florida each winter so she could see it in the driveway. Artificial red flowers were planted in her garden. He did all the household chores and let her think she performed them herself.

"My dad provided an environment that allowed her, in her mind, to be a fully functioning adult," said daughter Marie. "It was amazing to watch.

Last edited:
love like that is like hitting the lottery. relationships like they don't exist anymore. god bless him. I hope he has somebody in the family standing by him now.:(

love like that is like hitting the lottery. relationships like they don't exist anymore. god bless him. I hope he has somebody in the family standing by him now.:(

Loved it when he did the games ... not a fan of Heinsohn.

Best games called (without turning off the TV sound for Johnny Most) was the TV team of Tommy H and Red in the late sixties on a UHF channel.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back