PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boad Nebulous impressions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, doesn't Bam return punts? Seems like that is a pretty important special teams role.

He also ran a play or two from RB, and had on excellent run in the last TD drive. Bam is part of that "61" players you need have that BB always talks about. He's just in a very bad situation at WR here. Without the trade, HE'D be playing the slot, not Wes Welker.

Wait, doesn't Bam return punts? Seems like that is a pretty important special teams role.

Not to the team last year when they had Faulk and Brown out there. But like you and I said, they are trying to get him comfortable in several spots.

A couple comments:
- Even the Giant's announcers remarked at how odd it was the Giants were so ndisciplined (with all the penalties) given Coughlin's reputation.

I don't know why the Giant's announcers would be surprised, becase a lack of disciple has been a hallmark of Coughlin's teams while he has been with the Giants. Evidently he has a problem transfering his discipline to his team, or in other words, he may have more bark than bite in his approach.

Or it could just be that his "discipline" is just another NFL myth, along side of the others like Brian Billick is an offensive genius, Mike Vick is a great NFL QB, and the Cowboys are America's Team/ :rolleyes:

Excellent summary, PFK! Thanks for this as I wasn't able to watch the game live last night. I've seen some replays, but your summary makes up for a lot that I hadn't seen.

Agree regarding the QBs. As Reiss speculated in his blog today, it may come down to keeping Vinny on speed dial while the depth chart goes Brady, Cassel, and Gutierrez, as the team now feels it is a risk to attempt to get Gutierrez through waivers for the Practice Squad.

I agree with this as I'm extremely comfortable with Cassel as the backup, and the team needs to start grooming another young, talented signal caller. This may be one of the surprises from camp, as Testaverde was widely and reasonably assumed to be penciled in for #3.

There are teams, however, with very little depth at QB, so Vinny may get feelers from the likes of Seattle, Atlanta, and a few others. That's the risk they take; yet, stashing away someone like Gutierrez, who could ultimately be a starter someday, makes sense at this time.

Or it could just be that his "discipline" is just another NFL myth, along side of the others like Brian Billick is an offensive genius, Mike Vick is a great NFL QB, and the Cowboys are America's Team/ :rolleyes:
My sense is that Coughlin's demanding attention to detail gets players uptight, and it is in this state where they're more prone to mistakes. They're so focused on the negative, that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy much of the time.

I don't know why the Giant's announcers would be surprised, becase a lack of disciple has been a hallmark of Coughlin's teams while he has been with the Giants. Evidently he has a problem transfering his discipline to his team, or in other words, he may have more bark than bite in his approach.

His discipline is no myth. Ask former Jaguars like Brunell. The problem is that the 'leaders' of that Giants team are a bunch of crybabies and prima donnas who haven't helped the coach institute his program. When a team is looking to Tiki Barber (up until this year), Michael Strahan and Jeremy Shockey to be the leaders who set the example, that team is in trouble. Coughlin saved Tiki's career by solving his fumbling problem, and Tiki repaid him with such things as his farewell tour and clubhouse lawyering.

No, Tip, I had one camp where I went from an undersized fast OLB (205) to a big SS with questionable speed....all in one day. ;) I spent most of my time covering TEs and providing run support (I was good a that). I actually felt I had enough speed to do the job, but my athleticism (read body control) was a notch under what was the norm, even back then. I wasn't that far off, but on the other hand, they didn't make a mistake letting me go

Ken, that actually explains a lot about how you read the game better than us mere mortals. As I only get to see 20% of the matches live I rely on others like you to provide rational analysis.
Thanks again.

Any ideas on how we can keep Bam Childress? Good things happen every time this kid gets his hands on the ball.
Bam still has another year of Practice Squad eligibility under the "Billy Yates" rule, Kight and Thomas also would appear to fall under that rule too.

Watching the bubble players in other games around the league, I'd be surprised if Bam was high on anyone's shopping list when everybody dumps their cuts tomorrow. I would be surprised if he wasn't signed to the Practice Squad Sunday along with Kight, Elgin, Oldenburg as the most likely...Santonio Thomas, Mays, Jones, Dunlap, Hilliard, Anam, Baugher, Mills, Smith, and West are also in the running...I won't be surprised to see Bissinger and Williams show up there later in the season after their injuries heal up.

I also think that Santonio Thomas has earned a spot on the practice squad at the very least, and probably more if Seymour isn't ready to go. He played well last night.

Bam is part of that "61" players you need have that BB always talks about. He's just in a very bad situation at WR here. Without the trade, HE'D be playing the slot, not Wes Welker.

Wow. I think that's a bit much. I know we all love Bam, but the guy couldn't crack the WR corps last year. That speaks volumes.

His discipline is no myth. Ask former Jaguars like Brunell. The problem is that the 'leaders' of that Giants team are a bunch of crybabies and prima donnas who haven't helped the coach institute his program. When a team is looking to Tiki Barber (up until this year), Michael Strahan and Jeremy Shockey to be the leaders who set the example, that team is in trouble. Coughlin saved Tiki's career by solving his fumbling problem, and Tiki repaid him with such things as his farewell tour and clubhouse lawyering.

Hard to argue with this. Coughlin needed his "Jordan," the guy to buy in - and never got one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back