Welcome to PatsFans.com

BMF31C, have a question for you...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 13, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +841 / 27 / -33

You seem to understand how to find info on the military, and I have not been successful in finding this answer...

I am trying to find out the morbidity rates of soldiers injured in Iraq, I know it has gotten immensely better because of the quality of care of rapidness of response, but have read there are 17K+ injured soldiers from whatever this is called. Cannot find any info on how many have died off of the battlefield, imo if these #'s were revealed the death toll of our american servicemen would be quite a bit higher... it is something that has flown under the radar of all print and news media.

2. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'll run this one to ground, but from what I understand the casualty rate is from all servicemembers that have died from wounds received in support of operations. For instance, if a Soldier is wounded in Iraq and dies here in Landstuhl he is still part of the casualty count. I don't believe that they seperate these numbers. I, of course, could be wrong. I will poke around this weekend and if I can't find an answer I'll go over to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center Public Affairs and ask next week.

3. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The CNN report more clearly articulates what I said:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/forces/casualties/

For Example:
    Sgt. Spencer C. Akers
    Died at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, on December 8, 2005, of injuries sustained when a roadside bomb detonated near his Humvee during combat operations in Habbaniya, Iraq, on November 21, 2005

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

I can't think of a case where I read an article about a soldier dying from injuries sustained in Iraq that began like this, "... died three weeks after being injured in Iraq." It appears the media only reports those troops that die on the scene (or at least while still in Iraq). Surely, there must be some troops who died after coming home.

5. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you look through them you will find some that say they died either in Landstuhl/Walter Reed. For the most part you will see Brooke Army Hospital in San Antonio, that is where all the burn patients go and they are the most likely to die after leaving the theater.

6. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BTW Patters my post is exactly what you said.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

You're right! I missed your point the first time.