PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always liked this guys game. never got all the criticism.

That said he has taken his game to another level this year. Who knows what he changed but he looks thinner to me. Whatever it is, it's working.

I think Blount looks better this year, seems slimmer and faster.

A person could make the argument that Blount is the team's most valuable player to this point in the season.

That is, if a person didn't mind the inevitable avalanche of dislikes and disagrees. LOL
Hah good call. If anyone was going to make the argument it would be me. And I won't.

"This game he played well" is kinda of undervaluing him.

I didnt really like Blount, thought he was a good RB in his best day. This season, though, he has been a beast. I wonder what kind of talk we would have about him if he played like this for his whole career
If he had a good run blocking line his whole career he would.

A person could make the argument that Blount is the team's most valuable player to this point in the season.

That is, if a person didn't mind the inevitable avalanche of dislikes and disagrees. LOL
Your comment made me think, what posting would draw the greatest number of dislikes and disagrees? Maybe anything positive about Goodell.

I think Blount looks better this year, seems slimmer and faster.

Yes, agreed. Think this weight drop was mentioned in camp, but I've never really seen it confirmed. But he look sit.

Also he's obviously healthy, and got a few extra months of rest going down early to IR last season.

But most importantly, he's got two dominating TE beasts making blocks for him, and he's patiently and aggressively using them. Did you see the TD where he waited a bit, trusted that Gronk and Bennett would make blocks, open a hole, they did. And he burst right through it for the TD! I'm sure this type of thing is happening all throughout the game.

Blount seems to have benefitted from the vastly motive offensive line play this season.

I'm pretty sure mason and cannon could open a hole for any running back when lined up against a brick wall.

He looks better, but the O line has been more consistently opening up nice holes for him to get through. If you touch blount in the backfield its most likely a -minus ydg run, It takes an extra second for him to get going, but when he gets going he is tough to take down. I give more credit to the O line personally. But I will say Blount does look a little better and we need him. We dont have a replacement for him.

I thought Bell was having a tremendous game running the ball but then I saw his final rushing stats: 21 rushes, 81 yes, 3.9 ypc, and I realized the Pats did a pretty good job containing him on the ground after all.

I think it appeared that way because he was consistently getting hit at or behind the LOS, then managing to get an extra few yards after contact. A league-average starting RB would have averaged about 2 YPC in his place. Also, a lot of Bell's work came as a receiver.

As much as people were complaining at the time, I'll take that. Bell's going to get his yards against you, the guy is probably the best and most versatile RB in the NFL. He got his yards yesterday, but no shame in that and it all worked out.

I think it appeared that way because he was consistently getting hit at or behind the LOS, then managing to get an extra few yards after contact. A league-average starting RB would have averaged about 2 YPC in his place. Also, a lot of Bell's work came as a receiver.

As much as people were complaining at the time, I'll take that. Bell's going to get his yards against you, the guy is probably the best and most versatile RB in the NFL. He got his yards yesterday, but no shame in that and it all worked out.
Bell is just really, really good

How likely is it that Blount goes over 1000 yards? I mean he is on pace for it and would only need to average about 50 yards per game, but with Brady back and with White running well and a potential Lewis return in the distance I really don't know. He hasn't done it since his rookie year but he is also going to probably set a career high in rushing attempts this year.

How likely is it that Blount goes over 1000 yards? I mean he is on pace for it and would only need to average about 50 yards per game, but with Brady back and with White running well and a potential Lewis return in the distance I really don't know. He hasn't done it since his rookie year but he is also going to probably set a career high in rushing attempts this year.
As long as he keeps going, Bill will give him the ball. Wins and shorter games... I don't think anyone on the team is going to mind.

I'm the biggest Lewis fan, and white has vastly exceeded everyone's expectations, but the job is LG's to lose. He'll get his 1000, and I think the lost weight will help his endurance/injury risk.

I was wondering this myself. He is averaging 80 yards a game and on pace right now for 1294 yards. So I mean, who knows, but I'd love to see him get his first 1000 yard season.

EDIT: He actually had 1,007 yards his rookie season with Tampa Bay. My mistake.

Last edited:
Blount is enjoying a career year, but (like many backs) he has holes in his game (look at his number of no gain/negative runs). The Pats rushing game would benefit from someone who could take some of the load off Blount and offer different style and skills. At the moment, an injury to Blount kills the running game. It is now clear that Bolden, White and Foster have not earned the carries. I am a big fan of Lewis, but I expect him to be brought along slowly with uncertain expectations returning from multiple knee surgeries. The PS offers Sankey and now Gaffney. Bringing Gaffney on board may not speak highly for Sankey's potential. In Bill we trust.

I was wondering this myself. He is averaging 80 yards a game and on pace right now for 1294 yards. So I mean, who knows, but I'd love to see him get his first 1000 yard season.

I hear you, but given the physical toll that the RB position takes, I prefer to see no 1,000 yard rushers. I wish we had a real option to give him a breather.

More than the thousand yard season I am more interested in touchdown pace as right now he is on pace to pass Martin and Dillon both with 14 TDs in a season and become our single season RB TD leader. He has 8 right now.

look at his number of no gain/negative runs

Is there somewhere you can actually see this stat? I've heard this stated a lot but I wonder how he actually holds up against league averages for negative or no gain plays.

What I also really like is he has 6 catches the past 4 games (after none the first 3). Makes for a much less predictable O.

He's never had more than 6 in a season other than when he had 15 in 2011. What an outlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back