PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount Signs with Pats (2yr deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do NOT believe that Siliga has PARTICIPATED in practice. I don't believe that walk-throughs count. We have at least 19 days before a decision has to be made. We might have even more. Of course, the real issue is when Siliga would be ready to improve the team by his activation.
Read closer. The 21 day countdown does not begin until he has participated in a practice. Effectively, he's still on IR-DR.

I dunno guys, I mean, I don't think Belichick is a guy who has the most character in the world. Great coach but there's no question that he seeks every advantage that he can and it's naive to think he doesn't try to pull the occasional fast one when it comes to storing players on IR, etc. But I think most teams do it as well.

I don't really have a problem with it, though, because I don't believe in sportsmanship fairy tales. Not when we're talking about a multi-billion dollar product.

Severity is a big question mark, but guys with no health problems just don't get placed on IR.

"At the end of camp, (Bill Belichick) called me into his office. After he complimented me, he told me 'From now on, you're going to be hurt,'" Kingsbury told The Herald-Zeitung of New Braunfels, Texas. - See more at: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps...302229942&cid=sitesearch#sthash.P6ttqyQC.dpuf

Some people called Kingsbury stupid or naive for admitting that to a paper but I think it just exemplifies how rampant rule-bending is in the league to the point that he probably thought it was no big deal.

Too funny!
BB's luckiest year in many, as after many potentially questionable decisions he's been bailed out by unforeseeable luck. Of course you sometimes make your luck by seizing the occasional opportunities that present themselves and actualizing them.

I've been a Jack fan since the days of the Naval Weapons Test grounds in the CA desert.

Someone, Belichick maybe, who said "Luck is the residual of Inspiration and Perspiration !"

That's all well and good but it doesn't support your case. I might have been wrong about the 4 weeks, but it still was technically "injured", which is precisely what I've said all along. Severity is a big question mark, but guys with no health problems just don't get placed on IR.

I hear you and I respect your position. Obviously I think with a the MRI being negative, not limping in the locker room after the game, and suddenly going on IR without having experienced a major injury just seems fishy to me. There was speculation that he was not in football shape (as opposed to being in track shape) and was not picking up the offense as fast as the team had hoped. It's my speculation that the team stashed him. Could be wrong...Could be right...

Some people called Kingsbury stupid or naive for admitting that to a paper but I think it just exemplifies how rampant rule-bending is in the league to the point that he probably thought it was no big deal.

Ha! I intended on changing that to "rarely", but got lazy and hit submit.

I would contend that the practice is a lot less frequent now than it once was.

I hear you and I respect your position. Obviously I think with a the MRI being negative, not limping in the locker room after the game, and suddenly going on IR without having experienced a major injury just seems fishy to me. There was speculation that he was not in football shape (as opposed to being in track shape) and was not picking up the offense as fast as the team had hoped. It's my speculation that the team stashed him. Could be wrong...Could be right...
Well if he had an MRI he was injured. You don't do one if you are 100%.
Note that the requirement to going on IR is that you are not healthy enough to play, not that your injury is long term or season ending.

Well if he had an MRI he was injured. You don't do one if you are 100%.
Note that the requirement to going on IR is that you are not healthy enough to play, not that your injury is long term or season ending.

Yes. He had some kind of leg tweak. But if the MRI came back negative, to me, it means that he does not have any significant damage and could have returned to action in a reasonable amount of time. That's a big assumption obviously...

Yes. He had some kind of leg tweak. But if the MRI came back negative, to me, it means that he does not have any significant damage and could have returned to action in a reasonable amount of time. That's a big assumption obviously...

Not at all, I totally agree with it. That's pretty much what I've been saying all along, they take advantage of small injuries to put people on IR. The rule itself is built to allow for this with injury settlements.

But Kliff Kingsbury situations are very rare. Usually there is at least a superficial reason to validate the designation.

What a coincidence. "The Herald-Zeitung of New Braunfels" is my middle name.

Once again, severity of the injury is not a requirement.
I'm sure if IR wasn't an option we would have cut him.
That doesn't mean there was a violation and a non-injured player was IR'd.
It seems like you are trying to prove that players who aren't injured get put on IR by showing a player who was injured was placed on IR, because you are adding a layer to the argument by saying it fits your non-injured definition if you don't imagine he is injured too bad.

Not at all, I totally agree with it. That's pretty much what I've been saying all along, they take advantage of small injuries to put people on IR. The rule itself is built to allow for this with injury settlements.

But Kliff Kingsbury situations are very rare. Usually there is at least a superficial reason to validate the designation.
I just read the Kingbury article. Sheesh, BB. LOL

Once again, severity of the injury is not a requirement.
I'm sure if IR wasn't an option we would have cut him.
That doesn't mean there was a violation and a non-injured player was IR'd.
It seems like you are trying to prove that players who aren't injured get put on IR by showing a player who was injured was placed on IR, because you are adding a layer to the argument by saying it fits your non-injured definition if you don't imagine he is injured too bad.

Sorry- what I am implying is that Demps was never really injured.

If you go by the league bylaws under evasion, they would most certainly have reason to investigate the Pats for IR'ing a player who had a clean MRI.

I dunno guys, I mean, I don't think Belichick is a guy who has the most character in the world. Great coach but there's no question that he seeks every advantage that he can and it's naive to think he doesn't try to pull the occasional fast one when it comes to storing players on IR, etc. But I think most teams do it as well.

I don't really have a problem with it, though, because I don't believe in sportsmanship fairy tales. Not when we're talking about a multi-billion dollar product.
I agree with much of this, but I'd be cautious about coming to conclusions about BB's character.

I agree with much of this, but I'd be cautious about coming to conclusions about BB's character.

BB's character should not be questioned.

BB's allegiance to follow rules and orders from people or entities that he has little use or respect for should be. He will also manipulate systems and rules to gain a competitive advantage. For this, I have zero problem with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back