Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bloomberg allowed third term because of economic crisis

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, Oct 23, 2008.

1. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081023/...york_bloomberg

NY council extends term limit so Bloomberg can run

NEW YORK (Reuters) – The New York City Council voted on Thursday to extend the two-term limit for mayor and other elected officials, allowing Mayor Michael Bloomberg to seek another term to help the city cope with the deepening global financial crisis.

Bloomberg, a former Wall Street trader and self-made billionaire who was elected in 2001 and again in 2005, wants to run again on grounds that his financial experience will be valuable in guiding the city through lean fiscal times ahead.

The 51-member council voted 29 to 22 to approve the measure. About two-thirds of the council would have been forced out of office under the two-term limit, but they can now stand for a third term at the November 2009 election.

"It's a vote and a choice that's a difficult one, but it's one we take at a difficult time," Council Speaker Christine Quinn told reporters before the vote.

"In a time like this what you need is New Yorkers to have the opportunity to have consistent leadership," she said.

In 1993 and 1996, New Yorkers voted to limit the mayor and other city officials to two four-year terms. A Quinnipiac University poll on Tuesday found 89 percent of voters say a referendum, not a council vote, should decide the issue.

Bloomberg and Quinn rejected holding a referendum on the issue. A court challenge by two council members to stop the vote failed on Wednesday.

"Democracy will be forever tainted," Council Member Charles Barron said as he voted against extending the term limit.

Former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani sought to stay on when his second term was ending in 2001 after the September 11 attacks. But his proposal proved unpopular, and he backed down.

2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

unfortunately for the Bushies, that won't be allowed on a national level.... Don't think for a moment they haven't pondered it...

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

What a joke. TERM LIMITS! This will be pointed to by some politician, at some point in the future, as a precedent for eliminating term limits. Man I hate politicians. They're power hungry savages. Doesn't anyone have a problem with this?

4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

I do. I don't agree with the two-term limit for presidents because I think it leads to short term solutions and quick fix policies that screw us over in the long run, but it shouldn't be changed by the guy who wants to keep going. This gives precedent to others, as you said, to stay in office, and that's a slippery slope. Although in the case of Bush, I wouldn't mind him running again, he'd get crushed.

Man, I'm getting sick of agreeing with you so much:D

5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 16 / -9

This just proves you can hold public office while appearing regularly on Law and Order... poor Fred...

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,025 / 44 / -31

#24 Jersey

I was sure Bush would pull a national disaster and try it. i still think it has been discussed. But let's face it ... Bush has a head of jello ... a combination of 8 years of stress and lots of booze has left him within a few years of assisted living. IMO of course.

7. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Weird, he was against when there were rumors that Guiliani was going to extend his stay in office and Bloomberg knew he'd be a shoe-in. How odd that he magically supports extending his stay now that he's the one in office....

Odd how that works.

8. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

there is still time left

9. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

this is a crock.

talk about the erosion of democracy and the constitution

the more this happens the more the empire is coming to an end

10. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I want term limits on ALL elected officials. I'm so sick of career politicians like Biden or Kennedy.

11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Want a term limit on a particular politician?

Then vote next month. Its as simple as that...

and if everyone else doesn't agree with your opinion, then get over yourself. Just because you really hate a particular politician doesn't mean you should have to put up with said politician for only a little while.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

EXACTLY. The Republican and Democratic Parties don't like "career politicians" because they like apathetic, uninformed voters who vote on silly issues. Unfortunately these same apathetic voters defer to the incumbent. If we had an active, informed voting base, we wouldn't need term limits and politicians could seek long term policies.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Or Trent Lott and.....and.... sheesh, I'd come up with a couple of more republicans, but I can't off the top of my head. I guess it's cuz most are either forced to resign, get better jobs with companies they help profit, or are in jail. Ah, jail, Ted Stephens! I knew there was more than one I could remember.

:D

14. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That's where ted Stephens belongs. Name all the Republicans you want. Biden and Kennedy just came to mind do to the election and the other is my senator. And I'm not a Republican. Aside from a couple of governors I can't think of a Republican I've voted for. Career politicians all end up being nothing more than party hacks. Everyone says I don't vote for Teddy but, there he is year after year. For pretty much my entire life. It looks like disease will finally get him to end his "career". But, we knew that's the only way he would ever leave.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

I hear ya bro, and I know you're not a republican, as you didn't vote for GW. I'm only poking some fun into the forum. Unfortunately, the word is that when Teddy is gone, it'll be Joe's turn to carry the baton. :nooo:

16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Ditto for me RW. I've never in my entire life felt the lack of trust I feel for gov't officials as I do today...it feels I have been betrayed by those I put my trust in.

17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Based up what I have read and seen of him, Joe seems like a great man. He lacks the "rumors" of wrong-doing that many Kennedy's have carried with them. I also believe that "Joe for Oil" is a great program that has helped many. how can anyone knock a guy for doing that?

At least he "appears" to have great character...we'll see.