PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blog Update: Belichick on new Hall of Famer Harry Carson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_Price

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
The Patriots have just released a statement from Head Coach Bill Belichick regarding the induction of ex-Giants' great Harry Carson into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Belichick was a Giants' assistant for 10 of the 13 years Carson was in New York.

http://www.patsfans.com/price/blog/?q=node/239

Thanks,
Chris

So Harry Carson makes the HOF.

Anyone want to make the case that Bruschi doesn't belong now?

One time Pro Bowler vs 9 time

Carson is an interesting choice because he probably never made first team all-pro but he was always just below that elite status.

The Gr8est said:
So Harry Carson makes the HOF.

Anyone want to make the case that Bruschi doesn't belong now?

I seem to remember that Carson was a critic of the whole HOF process and asked that his name be removed form consideration last year because of the stress involved with thinking "this is the year" only to be let down.
A quick google check revealed this blog that detailed it...
http://www.offthekuff.com/mt/archives/004789.html

an interesting side note is that our buddy Borges (wrong way Ron) was a critic of Carson's bid. So what else is new? Even though not a Giant fan, anyone who watched Carson play inside LB saw it as the example for others to follow.....

Just my $0.02,

Harry Carson was a great LB glad to see him in the HOF where he belongs.

Patsfanin Philly said:
I seem to remember that Carson was a critic of the whole HOF process and asked that his name be removed form consideration last year because of the stress involved with thinking "this is the year" only to be let down.
A quick google check revealed this blog that detailed it...
http://www.offthekuff.com/mt/archives/004789.html

an interesting side note is that our buddy Borges (wrong way Ron) was a critic of Carson's bid. So what else is new? Even though not a Giant fan, anyone who watched Carson play inside LB saw it as the example for others to follow.....

Just my $0.02,

Unfortunately our buddy Borges is one of only 39 HOF voters, and therein lies the problem. Mr. Arrogant I know more about this than any of you will ever dream of knowing is a firm believer that it's the Hall of Fame and not the Hall of very good. His standards for others are extremely high. And you have to be presented by a member, usually your home town voting rep. How well or how convincingly he argues your case relative to the arguments against you or for others determined a HOF semi finalist or finalists fate.

Unfortunately the standards for voting members are not nearly as select. You have to be a member of the Football Writers of America for 10 years and work in a city that has a team. Why Boston even has a vote is beyond me. We'd be better off with some schmuck from Foxboro representing NE. Will held the vote in his lifetime, and it was passed to Ron by the Globe on Will's death. As long as he works at the Globe it is his vote (which is ample reason alone for the can Borges campaigns to continue).

They really need to expand the voting to include some people who actually played or coached the game and not merely rely on a bunch of elitest scribes who only covered it. There are a half dozen at large members from the likes of ESPN (Clayton will probably carry Peymeaton into the HOF on his slender shoulders). There are over two hundred members of the HOF so shipping them to voting cites would be cumbersome. But perhaps if all got to vote by ballot on the first cut to 25 nominees, and representative HOF members (say one representing each team and position) were in on the semi-final and final votes that would help. And the 80% rule should be tossed in favor of a simple 2/3rds majority. It only takes 8 votes against today to lock a player out of the HOF, and considering who holds the keys (writers) it's no wonder so many exceptional players who won the battle in the trenches never get a shot.

Borges hinted in a discussion on HOF voting with Felger a few weeks back that Will was the reason Andre Tippett never made the HOF. If your local scribe snubbs you initially it carries considerable weight with the other geniuses and eventually your career is so long past that you're off the radar unless the veterans committee takes up the cause.

Harry Carson was a HOFer in my book.

Yes, Bruschi will be in the Hall, too. No doubt about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down