PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Block Guests on game day...Please Sign the Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signing up as well. I dunno how much longer I can take this. It's been better than before but still slow as hell. Especially with the initial wave of lurkers before they are forced to either sign up or leave the site.

Or at the least, be signed up for a account here.

I'm all for blocking guests on game day. I'll give it another week and if its like this next week, I'm done.

Hi Ian,

This really needs to be done. I know that you take great pride in this site and you have to see and understand that what happens on game day is really influencing and affecting mebbers here.
To me there is no reason why this should be done, unless it is simply because you don't want to do it, which is well within your right, given your ownership of the property.
Its a simple thing and it really needs to be done.
Respects,

Rich

Hi Ian,

This really needs to be done. I know that you take great pride in this site and you have to see and understand that what happens on game day is really influencing and affecting members here.
To me there is no reason why this should not be done, unless it is simply because you don't want to do it, which is well within your right, given your ownership of the property.
Its a simple thing and it really needs to be done.
Respects,

Rich

Why block guests when the Chicken Little fans are every bit as responsible for the inability to enjoy the site as much as people would like to on game day?

Here's the issue. There is a way to block Guests from viewing the forum (which I installed after last week's game and is already in place). The problem is that it doesn't keep them from obviously hitting the server and seeing the error page, which counts as a query. Not to mention that when you factor everyone in the game day thread clicking refresh every two seconds there's 1000's of queries per second hitting the server. If you notice when the game ends and that thread dies, things pick up quite a bit.

I addressed this after last week's game with the server company and have been working over the past few days to come up with a solution and will be posting it later tonight. - Ian

Last edited:
Here's the issue. There is a way to block Guests from viewing the forum (which I installed after last week's game and is already in place). The problem is that it doesn't keep them from obviously hitting the server and seeing the error page, which counts as a query. Not to mention that when you factor everyone in the game day thread clicking refresh every two seconds there's 1000's of queries per second hitting the server. If you notice when the game ends and that thread dies, things pick up quite a bit.

I addressed this after last week's game with the server company and have been working over the past few days to come up with a solution and will be posting it later tonight. - Ian

I have an idea and it relates to some of the people wreaking havoc in that very problematic thread...it's a pretty simple fix if you ask me.

I'll sign. I don't even come here during the games.

signed. I mostly come on here to read posts and it takes forever

I couldn't even log into the site today until over an hour after the game. Not a huge deal either way, but there are definitely regulars who can't get on because of the swarm of guests.

I do know that today, after the game is MUCH better than it was last week. I don't post during the game so I didn't know that it slowed down. last week I couldn't get or stay on to moderate hours after the game, never mind post.

You guys should know that Ian and the mods have denied or banned well over 100 (closer to 200) trolls in the past week trying to come on here a wreck havoc.

If there is any way to fix the problem, Ian will do it. Let's give him a chance.

Last edited:
I just joined today, didn't realize until after registering it might not have been the best idea to join on a game day and once I saw it needed admin approval, thought I wouldn't be approved until tomorrow in case it was thought I was a troll.

I was a lurker for a while (I like to lurk before joining a forum to see if it's one I want to join), but didn't do any lurking on game day, just came to see the talk during the week. I didn't even think about the site getting bogged down during game time! I did notice it was a lot slower during game time.

I think it would be a shame to block out guests on game day, but agree that members shouldn't have to suffer for so many people who don't want to join.

I just joined today

I think it would be a shame to block out guests on game day
Well, perhaps you might want to be a member for more than 5 or 6 hours before telling us how you think the website should be run.

Well, perhaps you might want to be a member for more than 5 or 6 hours before telling us how you think the website should be run.

She's entitled to her opinion, space, no matter how long she's been here. I didn't think she was telling us to do anything, she was just making a comment. You quoted just a small part of her comment.

Please send a PM to me if you think that I missed something.

Last edited:
Every game I have a hard time connecting to the web site while the game is going on. Not sure what the answer is but something needs to change

I'm not willing to deal with this for the next 14-weeks either, and as a result I'm working on this and will have a resolution soon.

I've been in contact with the server company and have had preliminary discussions going over our needs and what it will take to have us run efficiently, even if there were four times the amount of users that there have been here. Reading all these complaints isn't a fun thing to see, so I will have more information tomorrow once I've gone over all of our options. I will find out exactly what it will take to prevent these issues and have us run smoothly regardless of how many people are trying to get on here, and I will let everyone know what we are doing to address this.

But whatever we do will hopefully be completed by the end of the week.

Last edited:
Yes....
I want to be on with fellow fans and not smack talkers from other teams.
Follow your team on your own forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey