PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blind side Hellllp!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Box_O_Rocks said:
Ray, it goes back to my first response, Brady screwed up. He set the protection, He called the rollout to take Him away from the blitz overload. He was the guy standing there doing His Statue of Drew imitation when He got clocked.

This is very similar to what he did in Denver, he was trying to make a play, instead of relaxing and throwing the ball away. He tried to carry the team on his shoulders and forgot he was PART of a TEAM. One with a substantial lead at this point of the game.

It doesn't get any clearer than that, Brady screwed up. In football, that means someone gets their clock cleaned, he paid the price, hopefully it means he stops trying to be a one man show. Last season he tried too hard, too often.

Josh needs to ground him and get his head right, but ultimately Tommy, the grizzled old veteran, needs to rely on his veteran survival skills, and not make newbie decisions.

Apparently, I don't write clearly or you don't understand or want to address the original post that I made.

I've restated, bolded words and otherwise tried to clarify the gist of my original post and you are still trying to answer a question I did not ask.

Sometimes people are just on a different wave length.:)

Ray, am I correct in assuming that what you meant by your original post is, regardless of WHY the play happened (ie. Tom screwed up), how can a hit like that be avoided if somehowit should happen again? Like someone gives some sort of "Oops!" signal or something to try and protect Tom?

Ray, Box and I have downed a pint or two in the Poteat Fan Club Lounge and I believe I can translate for you into the geezer-speak that he and I are familiar with...

Yo. Box, daddy-o. When Tommy screws up the protection calls, or forgets he's not a newb and pulls some spastic move that then puts the play (and his ass) in danger, is there, or should there be, a mechanism in place by which one of the teammates responsible for helping to keep Brady upright can warn him of his impending doom in a split-second? Especially when it comes from his blind side.

Forget this particular play against the Jests this past weekend. When protection breaks down for whatever reason, is there a reasonable way for one of the protectors to signal that there's an "oh $#it" moment about to happen and Brady should take the necessary steps of whatever (rollout, protect the ball, assume the fetal position, etc).

Capice? Cool. Stay hip, cat.

(And don't argue with me, I'm just translating the original question) :cool:

Bella*chick said:
Ray, am I correct in assuming that what you meant by your original post is, regardless of WHY the play happened (ie. Tom screwed up), how can a hit like that be avoided if somehowit should happen again? Like someone gives some sort of "Oops!" signal or something to try and protect Tom?

Precise a mundo Ms. Bella.

Although a dainty oops might not do it. More like the oh sh*t@+!!!!!! signal suggested by Mr. T....Shirt.:D

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Ray, Box and I have downed a pint or two in the Poteat Fan Club Lounge and I believe I can translate for you into the geezer-speak that he and I are familiar with...

Yo. Box, daddy-o. When Tommy screws up the protection calls, or forgets he's not a newb and pulls some spastic move that then puts the play (and his ass) in danger, is there, or should there be, a mechanism in place by which one of the teammates responsible for helping to keep Brady upright can warn him of his impending doom in a split-second? Especially when it comes from his blind side.

Forget this particular play against the Jests this past weekend. When protection breaks down for whatever reason, is there a reasonable way for one of the protectors to signal that there's an "oh $#it" moment about to happen and Brady should take the necessary steps of whatever (rollout, protect the ball, assume the fetal position, etc).

Capice? Cool. Stay hip, cat.

(And don't argue with me, I'm just translating the original question) :cool:

It's all copasetic, T.

I ain't worrying about who screwed the pooch, I'm just trying to keep my main man verticalized, dig?

RayClay said:
It's all copasetic, T.

I ain't worrying about who screwed the pooch, I'm just trying to keep my main man verticalized, dig?
My thanks to the charming Miss Bella, hepcat Mr. Shirt, and especially dear Dr. Ray for his charitable patience - but Lady & Gentlefolk, whom is the "oh sh*t@+!!!!!" being communicated too? The same gentleman who set the protection also KNOWS that GangGreen #25 is coming unblocked from the left side with serious intent.

I insist, you are asking the wrong question.

Your question seeks not to apply blame, instead it wraps an expensive jewel in cotton - but you are not wrapping a jewel, you are ENABLING a man's destructive behavior. Blame MUST BE APPLIED, to do any less is further ENABLING THE BEHAVIOR that led to the decapitation.

What good does an OOPS, howsoever it is pronounced, do, and who is going to do it? Every blocker assigned to backside protection is engaged with an uncharitable individual wearing a bilious green uniform. One of them saying "oh sh*t@+!!!!!" indicates there are TWO people coming unblocked. Were it not the case, it would create a BOY CRIES WOLF situation in the film room, with even more disastrous consequences for the future.

We need General Washington withdrawing across the Delaware, not a complacent French General Staff diddling their mistresses behind the Maginot Line, whilst giggling at reports of German troop movements through the Ardennes.

Tweaking the blocking on the right side may be a short term bandaid, but until the guy trying to play Superman recognizes he has time for one read and throw the ball out of bounds in that blitz coverage, he is going to allow himself to be battered with kryptonite - leading to a horrifying re-enactment of September 2001.

You want the main man verticalized? Rub his nose in his arrogance and embarrass him with stop watches at practice. Tough love and strategic withdrawal across the Delaware, or grab your ankles in Vichy. Danke sir, may I have another?

Yep. Brady and Koppen blew it.

Box_O_Rocks said:
You want the main man verticalized? Rub his nose in his arrogance and embarrass him with stop watches at practice. Tough love and strategic withdrawal across the Delaware, or grab your ankles in Vichy. Danke sir, may I have another?

defenses look to create an overloaded line right or left, and get 1-2 players coming in clean. it's there on punt/field goal kicks too.
as i recall, the CENTER is also responsible for calling protections. koppen has to catch some blame on that.
but---bottom line, i believe Brady is supposed to either check into a running play, or call timeout. doing nothin and moving forward with the play suggests someone thinks they can get it done anyway. arrogance.
no QB is gonna survive the season beiing blindsided like that.
and then we'll be in a world of s___.

I think the best way to remedy this is for the line to get more experience playing together as a unit, and the same goes for Brady and the WR's.

zippo59 said:
I think the best way to remedy this is for the line to get more experience playing together as a unit, and the same goes for Brady and the WR's.
We speak specifically of an overload situation, unless Tommy calls a WR in to pick up the outside blitz (he used to do that with D-Giv on occasion), or directs a front side OL to pull and block backside, he doesn't have enough protection for the backside and doesn't have a great deal of time to find a target and throw, even with the rollout he used - as was evidenced by the strip sack and turnover.

Duke, Koppen sets line/TE protections and adjusts with his line mates and Tommy - for folks who don't know how this works watch Dan when Tommy is in shotgun, see how he twists around to see where Tommy is pointing out assignments? - but in this case, the blitzer was in a blind spot for Dan, this is why Tommy has to communicate the hazard to him or directly to a "skill" player to set the protection.

I guess I don't understand why they would make that playcall if they knew the blitz was coming. Doesn't seem like that's the play you would want to run in that situation.

zippo59 said:
I guess I don't understand why they would make that playcall if they knew the blitz was coming. Doesn't seem like that's the play you would want to run in that situation.
Good question.

I'm withdrawing the original premise after looking at the play again.

Should one of the receivers have changed his route when he saw acres of empty space in the middle of the field?

Where was his "hot read"?

RayClay said:
I'm withdrawing the original premise after looking at the play again.

Should one of the receivers have changed his route when he saw acres of empty space in the middle of the field?

Where was his "hot read"?
Good question. I have no doubt there are a number of players who could have made adjustments that would have helped the situation, I'm inclined to think BB knows the answers and has some suggestions to make. Some day, one of the networks is going to figure out how to use those large TV screens to run the sideline shot side-by-side with an end zone shot to show the coverage and routes - 'wouldn't it be loverly'. :singing:

Box_O_Rocks said:
We speak specifically of an overload situation, unless Tommy calls a WR in to pick up the outside blitz (he used to do that with D-Giv on occasion), or directs a front side OL to pull and block backside, he doesn't have enough protection for the backside and doesn't have a great deal of time to find a target and throw, even with the rollout he used - as was evidenced by the strip sack and turnover.
Duke, Koppen sets line/TE protections and adjusts with his line mates and Tommy - for folks who don't know how this works watch Dan when Tommy is in shotgun, see how he twists around to see where Tommy is pointing out assignments? - but in this case, the blitzer was in a blind spot for Dan, this is why Tommy has to communicate the hazard to him or directly to a "skill" player to set the protection.
Yeah, Rocks, sounds right to me. but the QB and the OLs are supposed to be pointing this out. If koppen can't see it TB certainly can.
Someone mentioned TB's arrogance. IMHO, believing he could get the play off despite the overload illustrates the point. gotta have more respect for the defensive players.
if i recall, the original item mentioned was TB's exposure to hard blindsidee hits. it's gonna happen one day or another, QBs can't expect to play 70-100 games and not get hurt. we've been lucky with Brady. that's why i really wish our boy flutie had stuck around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back