PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bledsoe to Saints SPECULATION!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are you to make a comment on someone's character when your user name is celebrating someone who nearly killed that same person? One of the more disgusting things I've ever seen on the internet, and that's saying something.

Getting this thread back on track...

What do you folks think the chances are that Bledsoe could be back with the Pats if something were to happen to Brady? My feeling is that he is a competitive guy and would put aside any animosity towards BB for another chance to start.

Cassell seems good enough, but he still hasn't shown it when it counts. I like Testeverde well enough, I guess, but Bledsoe is younger and may even know the system better (who knows how much it has changed over the years).

In fact, given the new WR core and the deep threats of Moss and Stallworth wouldn't the vertical passing of Bledsoe be a pretty good fit for this team?

Imagine the Pats are 8-2 and gearing up for the stretch run. Who would you lay your money on?

Getting this thread back on track...

What do you folks think the chances are that Bledsoe could be back with the Pats if something were to happen to Brady? My feeling is that he is a competitive guy and would put aside any animosity towards BB for another chance to start.

Cassell seems good enough, but he still hasn't shown it when it counts. I like Testeverde well enough, I guess, but Bledsoe is younger and may even know the system better (who knows how much it has changed over the years).

In fact, given the new WR core and the deep threats of Moss and Stallworth wouldn't the vertical passing of Bledsoe be a pretty good fit for this team?

Imagine the Pats are 8-2 and gearing up for the stretch run. Who would you lay your money on?

I'm a Bledsoe fan - and know that Cassell is truly an unknown commodity... but I'd still start Cassell and probably a handful of other competant backup QBs over Bledsoe

The draw that a bad to mediocre team might have towards Bledsoe, should their starter suffer an injury, is that he's still got a strong arm and can generate some excitement.

He's not capable of helping a mediocre team make the playoffs as his lack of mobility and propensity to force passes and turnover the ball offsets his strong arm benefits.

He's also really quite bad at the short pass, dink and dunk game - which is what the Patriots did so well with Brady as a backup in 2001 (at least early in the season) and what they'd likely do with Cassell, running simple short pass games bolstered by a decent runnning game.

So since the only way Bledsoe would ever come back is if offered a starting spot, even if Brady suffers an injury that's not an offer this team is going to make IMO

BS. He was fine with Brady when he was s 6th rounder who showed promise as a backup. I guarantee you though that given his druthers Drew would never have moved him past Huard who was his wingman. Drew was a big part of the entitlement culture BB had to stamp out here. You play because you earn the spot through your performance. Brady was so outperforming him in 2001 the decision was a no brainer on the merits, which is how BB makes those decisions. The team could have given him every rep from the first Rams game to the next Rams game and all it would have accomplished is hurting Brady and the team - Drew still would have been the same player he was prior to that fateful JETS game. And I believe Drew long ago clarified his remarks to indicate while he felt he was lied to, he never was in so many words.

His relationship with Brady was more a testament to the kid's poise and maturity and determination than anything on Drew's part.

He had no interest in Loseman when he was in Buffalo, let alone any desire to compete with him for a job. That was just Drew exit speak for I got screwed by a FO again. Had no use for Romo either - after all in Drewspeak this was his Tuna reunion tour (featuring Terry Glenn) where he was going to prove how wrong everyone had been about him in NE and Buffalo, and how wrong he had been earlier about Tuna. How'd that work out? His career ended on national TV at Parcells hand. Drew termed that decision "a mistake", and refused to even function as the backup thereafter. That was an appropriate ending to the urban legend of Drew as the team guy, along with Parcell's following him to pasture several weeks later. They were both egocentric personalities to whom the game mattered little unless they were front and center in it.

Wow! I guess I shouldn't expect anything but complete bias against Bledsoe from someone who's screen name is MoLewisRocks, but you are going way overboard.

I was a fan of Bledsoe when he was here, but I glad we got Brady over him. But I have to say you have a lot of venom towards Bledsoe that is clouding the facts as they were. Bledsoe for the most part until maybe the week of the Super Bowl pretty much held himself with class. The only real time he really showed his disdain was when Belichick chose Brady in the Super Bowl. Brady and Bledsoe were close for most of the season even when Bledsoe was holding the clipboard. Bledsoe did help Brady a lot during that season too.

Last edited:
Unless their starting QB is known to be busted up, why would Drew want to do this? WHY?

Wow! I guess I shouldn't expect anything but complete bias against Bledsoe from someone who's screen name is MoLewisRocks, but you are going way overboard.

I was a fan of Bledsoe when he was here, but I glad we got Brady over him. But I have to say you have a lot of venom towards Bledsoe that is clouding the facts as they were. Bledsoe for the most part until maybe the week of the Super Bowl pretty much held himself with class. The only real time he really showed his disdain was when Belichick chose Brady in the Super Bowl. Brady and Bledsoe were close for most of the season even when Bledsoe was holding the clipboard. Bledsoe did help Brady a lot during that season too.

It's not bias, it's honesty. I guess you never read Patriot Reign, and missed more recent comments by both Brady and Belichick when pressed allowing that Drew's relationship with both of them was challenging and strained. Drew maintained the facade in public for the most part, aside from calling the HC a liar, but behind the scenes he did little to hide his seething anger. At one point veteran players called him out over his sullen behavior in captains meetings. What kept the situation under manageable control was the determination of both a young QB and a savvy HC to not rise to the bait and basically work around him.

Entering the 2001 season this was still Drew's team. Midway through the season it became Belichick's when his veterans chose to support his decisions. By the end of the season it was Brady's team, not because he was drafted for the position but because he'd earned it's confidence.

And Brady is on record saying they were never close despite appearances. They developed a working relationsip born of necessity that went from cordial to strained to basically former acquaintance. They don't keep in touch these days because they were never like friends... Brady will always speak well of Drew publicly because that's who he is. Drew will always portray himself as the classy put upon victim because that's who he is and always was. Even his media toadies who had not yet bought into BB or Brady in 2002 and predicted a re-emergence in Buffalo, or surely in Dallas, now realize this, and give him credit not for what he did so much as for what he didn't do, which was flat out tear the team apart.

I don't hate Drew, I just see him for what he was and is. What I can't stand is seeing him romanticized into something he was not. He skipped the parade and ring ceremony for a reason. And my screen name doesn't celebrate Mo's hit but the franchise saving effect it had in allowing Belichick to turn to Brady with the requisite cover to establish himself rather than having to acrimoniously bench Drew's ass much like Tuna did in Dallas last season and have Drew's media toadies tear the team apart on his behalf, as they would have. Mo inadvertently with one clean hit won a small battle for the JETS and lost the war for the AFCE for years to come. I'm sure in hindsight Mo would like to have that hit back. Fortunately for us, he can't.

It's not bias, it's honesty. I guess you never read Patriot Reign, and missed more recent comments by both Brady and Belichick when pressed allowing that Drew's relationship with both of them was challenging and strained. Drew maintained the facade in public for the most part, aside from calling the HC a liar, but behind the scenes he did little to hide his seething anger. At one point veteran players called him out over his sullen behavior in captains meetings. What kept the situation under manageable control was the determination of both a young QB and a savvy HC to not rise to the bait and basically work around him.

Entering the 2001 season this was still Drew's team. Midway through the season it became Belichick's when his veterans chose to support his decisions. By the end of the season it was Brady's team, not because he was drafted for the position but because he'd earned it's confidence.

And Brady is on record saying they were never close despite appearances. They developed a working relationsip born of necessity that went from cordial to strained to basically former acquaintance. They don't keep in touch these days because they were never like friends... Brady will always speak well of Drew publicly because that's who he is. Drew will always portray himself as the classy put upon victim because that's who he is and always was. Even his media toadies who had not yet bought into BB or Brady in 2002 and predicted a re-emergence in Buffalo, or surely in Dallas, now realize this, and give him credit not for what he did so much as for what he didn't do, which was flat out tear the team apart.

I don't hate Drew, I just see him for what he was and is. What I can't stand is seeing him romanticized into something he was not. He skipped the parade and ring ceremony for a reason. And my screen name doesn't celebrate Mo's hit but the franchise saving effect it had in allowing Belichick to turn to Brady with the requisite cover to establish himself rather than having to acrimoniously bench Drew's ass much like Tuna did in Dallas last season and have Drew's media toadies tear the team apart on his behalf, as they would have. Mo inadvertently with one clean hit won a small battle for the JETS and lost the war for the AFCE for years to come. I'm sure in hindsight Mo would like to have that hit back. Fortunately for us, he can't.

That was a good post....

I'm not romanticizing what Bledsoe is. I never said he was justified in his thinking that he was lied to, but I do believe that is what caused his attitude. I do think Bledsoe was initially helpful to Brady, but it grew strained over time.

As for Mo Lewis, I think he only sped up the inevitable. I think Bledsoe would have been benched by mid-season. I'm sorry, but Bledsoe was almost killed by that hit if the reports are accurate. I don't care if it resulted in me winning $20 million, I will never celebrate the hit or how it changed the franchise. Besides, Belichick was and continues to this day to be smeared by Borges because he chose Brady over Bledsoe and Cafardo blasted him while he was still covering the Patriots. So I don't see what the Mo Lewis hit really saved Belichick in terms of the media.

As for Patriots Reign, Michael Holley didn't start to research that book until 2002. Most of the information on Bledsoe was only from people who were still with the team by 2002 and probably had a biased view. To my recollection, Holley never got Bledsoe's side of the story. When you get an one sided view of history, you do have to take it with a grain of salt especially when things ended acrimoniously. People tend to remember the bad stuff and may overstate it.

As for some of the other stuff, I think Drew skipped the post Super Bowl win stuff because he didn't feel a part of the winning season. It was Brady's win. If I was the former starter on the team and spent almost the entire season holding a clipboard in a Super Bowl win and I knew that I was going to be traded in the offseason, I wouldn't show up either. If Bledsoe was so petty, he wouldn't have taken out a full page ad in the Globe thanking the fans.

As far as Bledsoe using his media cronies to smear Parcells and Dallas, I think you are speculating. I don't think Bledsoe has a lot of pull with either the Dallas or the national media.

I thought Bledsoe got a raw deal many years that he was here. He was obviously not suited to run this offense. They guy consistently threw screen passes at Troy Brown's ankles. But I think many people want to paint him as this talentless evil guy who controlled the media.

We have no idea if Bledsoe asked Borges or Cafardo to trash Belichick. Personally, I thought Cafardo was just more upset because the two players he had the most access to were Bledsoe and Terry Glenn and Belichick got rid of them. Borges held a grudge long after Bledsoe left so I think his hatred of Belichick goes far beyond Bledsoe. I think it is unfair to assume that Bledsoe did or would have used his media friends to trash Belichick unless you have some kind of evidence he did. I have never heard anything that suggested he did.

Amazing.
The Bledsoe Krishna apologists for Drew never give up. Despite not one but three (3) instances of Drew NOT nurturing or developing young QBs when he was the man and failing time and again, the Bledsoe cult keeps on rationalizing.

Anyone at training camp in 2001 could see that Brady was WAY better than Bledsoe running the team. BB saw it and you can be sure that the vets whe weren't butt buddies saw it too. Thankfully, Moe Lewis enabled BB to make the move he wanted to make but at that time did not have the juice with his owner to do (BB was something like 5-13 at the time with Drew at the helm). Celebrating the Moe Lewis incident does not mean that harm is wished on Drew as a player or person. He's better off retiring rich and spending time with his family. In that family values aspect I am a Drew guy as opposed to a Brady's Lady.

Last edited:
Amazing.
The Bledsoe Krishna apologists for Drew never give up. Despite not one but three (3) instances of Drew NOT nurturing or developing young QBs when he was the man and failing time and again, the Bledsoe cult keeps on rationalizing.

Anyone at training camp in 2001 could see that Brady was WAY better than Bledsoe running the team. BB saw it and you can be sure that the vets whe weren't butt buddies saw it too. Thankfully, Moe Lewis enabled BB to make the move he wanted to make but at that time did not have the juice with his owner to do (BB was something like 5-13 at the time with Drew at the helm). Celebrating the Moe Lewis incident does not mean that harm is wished on Drew as a player or person. He's better off retiring rich and spending time with his family. In that family values aspect I am a Drew guy as opposed to a Brady's Lady.

Who's a Bledsoe apologist. I said before the 2001 season that he didn't seem to be the right fit for the Pats' offense. I wholeheartedly agreed with Belichick's decision to change QBs even if Bledsoe wasn't injured. Bledsoe, although having great talent, is one of the most limited QBs in the game. Bledsoe needs max protection all the time and a safety valve or he will not perform well. That led to his downfall here, in Buffalo, and in Dallas. In fact, the only time I have ever defended his playing ability when he left was criticizing Tom Donahoe for spending so much to get him, but then not spending any real effort to give him an o-line or a TE who he can dump off to.

That said, I am not going to celebrate the Mo Lewis hit in any way shape or form. I don't celebrate injuries ever. Football is still a game and people's lives and health still supercede the Patriots' fortunes. Personally, I would have rather had Brady win the job outright rather than back into it. I think there was a lot of division in the locker room and the media over the Brady/Bledsoe thing anyway. I don't get what the Mo Lewis hit saved us.

As for Bledsoe and his support of Brady, we have heard conflicting stories. There were plenty of stories at the time that talked about how Bledsoe did support Brady. And now those stories don't mean anything because Michael Holley saw it with his own eyes a year after it happened? It is far from definitive that Brady and Bledsoe were adversaries right from the start of this and Bledsoe was never supportive. The Bledsoe bashers seem to have only wanted to believe the negative. I am betting the truth is somewhere in between.

Here is a Q&A from Michael Silver from SI (who is very close to Brady) from 2002:

CNNSI.com: You write about how the friendship between Brady and Drew Bledsoe grew "awkward" last season. How tough was that on Brady?
Silver: Bledsoe, Brady and three teammates went to one of the American League Championship Series games in New York last October. They took a limo-bus down there, got great seats. At that point, they were hanging out. It was getting to the point where everybody knew Bledsoe would be healthy soon and it was going to become an issue. They had a private conversation at that game, and Brady said to him, "No matter what happens and what positions we get put in, I want you to know how I really feel about you. I want you to know that I think you're great player and you've been a great mentor." Brady recalls Bledsoe saying, "If you can, do one thing for me: Don't do me any favors. Try to kick my ass. It would be an insult to me not to. The best thing you can do is to try to be better than me every day." Was everything perfect between them from that point on? No. But they genuinely do like each other. Each genuinely believes that he's the guy to lead the team, which can't happen. I just think it was nice that Bledsoe could directly contribute to the Super Bowl win by playing so well in Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game. But I believe that will prove to be his last game for the Patriots. And I think he's eager to explore all his options.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/news/2002/04/09/silver_brady/

Again, there are conflicting reports how much of a strain there was with Bledsoe and Brady and exactly when the relationship became frayed.

Here is a Q&A from Michael Silver from SI (who is very close to Brady) from 2002:

Again, there are conflicting reports how much of a strain there was with Bledsoe and Brady and exactly when the relationship became frayed.

A lot more has come out since October of 2001, as is usually the case in these situations, and we likely won't hear the totally unvarnished truth until the Brady Belichick era in NE is over, if ever. Both Brady and Belichick are too classy fully air the dirty laundry in public, so their responses will likely always be measured. The Silver tidbit you cite IMO really only points to who was taking the lead in behaving like an adult and trying to lay some basic groundwork for salvaging the relationship once a decision was made. It was the kid. As for Silver's opinion, his assessment of Drew's performance in Pittsburgh invalidates whatever other opinions he formed. Belichick's evaluation of that performance was it vindicated the decision to stick with Brady. Bledsoe's evaluation of his performance was obviously different since he lobbied for the Superbowl start and was visibly upset when it was officially announced that Brady would start.

"As emotional as the Pittsburgh game was - Bledsoe received a game ball - the quarterback was still being evaluated. According to the coaches game breakdowns, Bledsoe's statistics were: one mental error, four bad throws, and four bad choices. The logical counterargument to those unflattering numbers was rust...Belichick didn't view it that way. As much as he respected Bledsoe, he had an idea of what his quarterback should do. The model for that idea was Brady. Brady had shown an ability to stay calm, recognize defensive nuances, and shout out the necessary adjustments for this receivers, backs and linemen. When he coached against Bledsoe in NY, Belichick would often present the quarterback with a "Cover 5" defense. It features man to man coverage with two deep safeties to help on the receivers. Belichick would tell his defensive backs to be physical at the line of scrimmage. Then he would play the educated odds, going with scientific and anecdotal research that revealed Bledsoe would not be accurate enough or patient enough to make the throws that could defeat an effective "Cover 5".

Holley began his book early in 2002. He was a Globe football columnist for a couple of years before that, so he wasn't without foundation where the team and it's personalities were concerned. He was also privy to a lot more than he included in the book, and it was the discretion he showed that broadened his access and extended it a year and earned the trust which remains in tact today. It's why Tedy trusted him to do his book. Holley could have said more, but he chose to say what he knew they would be comfortable with - just enough to get the point across...to most of us that is.

"This wasn't necessarily Belichick's repeat of the Cleveland Kosar-Testaverde contoversy. He wasn't going to have to cut a popular player. But he was, in his second year, rattling a star who had spent nine years as the franchise's best paid and most marketed athlete. Belichick's choice meant that he would have the most talented and most expensive backup quarterback int he NFL. Making the decision would not be a problem. Presenting that decision would turn the situation into an awkward and eventually nasty one. When Belichick did not return the job to Bledsoe or give him an oportunity to win it back with practice reps, Bledsoe interpreted that as the coach lying to him. The charge irked Belichick.

"I don't feel like I misled him. I really don't. You know, that kind of bothered me. I understood his disappointment. I understood he wanted to play, I understood that he was a good competitor. He was a hard working guy, he had been in the organization a long time and I respected that. Nobody wanted him to get hurt and miss two months. There was nothing we could do about it. You don't take a player who hasn't played in two months and then just stick him back in there like nothing happened."

It was too late. Bledsoe felt that he had been deceived. Belichick says he offered Bledsoe the chance to get something back all right: timing, not a job. "I wasn't talking about him as a starter. I was talking about him at least throwing to guys that he might be throwing to in the game if he had to play as a backup. Which ultimately happened in the AFC Championship Game."

It was a long road to Pittsburgh though. With the unexpected death of Rehbein in the sommer of 2001, Belichick had become the quarterbacks coach. He often met with Brady, Bledsoe and Huard in a small Foxboro Stadium office. It was uncomfortable in there, and not just because the stadium was outdated.

"I knew he was unhappy", Brady says of Bledsoe. "It was strained. When Coach Belichick was around, Drew would become quiet and reserved." Bledsoe was the same way in the team captains meetings on Tuesday nights. The meetings were designed so that there could be an exchange between the coaching staff and the players. But the meetings were inadequate for Belichick-Bledsoe. The other captains noticed it and occasionally commented. One of the captains was Bryan Cox, the inimitable linebacker who always carried and extra opinion just in case you didn't have one of your own. He had also lost his job to injury, but didn't respond the way Bledsoe did. Of course, Cox brought that up once or twice in the captains meetings.

"You could feel the strain in the relationhip all the way around", Belichick says. "I mean I met with the quarterbacks every day: myself, Drew, the other two quarterbacks and Charlie. There is no question that there was discomfort in the room"

Outside of the team, Bledsoe's urban legend began to grow. The popular story was that the quarterback was the opposite of the modern athlete and that he didn't let his agenda interfere with the overall mission of the team. It wasn't quite that clean. Bledsoe wasn't reckless in the office, but it was known how angry he was. He had his problems with Belichick, but he also wasn't happy with Weis...During a staff meeting one of the coaches said of Bledsoe, "His ****ty attitude means we have to do one of two things: trade him to the highest bidder in the off season or tell him he's the starter and Brady will compete with him."

In their own way the QB's made the decision easy for them - Tom was the Superbowl MVP who led a game winning drive and Drew simply refused to return their calls to set up his off season workout program. People forget this was a QB who in the runup to 2001 had chaffed under Parcells heavy hand, and then undercut his feel good replacement, not to mention was feeding unflattering insider information on his new HC to curry media favor for his own agenda while demanding and getting $1 more than Brett Favre so he could be deemed the highest paid QB in the league. Drew was never really a team player.

As I said before, Drew maintained the public facade, but his behavior behind the scenes would have been enough to derail a lesser tandem than Brady and Belichick have proved to be. Remember, at that point we were barely a .500 team with half a season yet to unfold. Bledsoe assumed when we lost to the Rams the situation presented the perfect opportunity for him to return. That's because he didn't appreciate what happened in that game. Weis said afterward that was the game that convinced them Brady was the one - even though we lost. Because we were in it to the end against the so called greatest show on turf. We never lost a game after that.

That's why IMO even that farewell ad was just another dig at those in the organization whom he believed drove him away by kicking him to the curb needlessly in favor of some 6th round wonderkid. Only problem with Drew's take on the subject is the kid, who had the mental toughness that trumped mere physical toughness, won a Superbowl with a team and coaching staff Drew could do nothing with through 18 games (5-13) and now has three rings and is on his way to the HOF, the HC is now touted as the best in a generation, and two teams later Drew is finally at home in Montana after he was unceremoneously canned on national TV for a careern capping final first half performance his draftor/mentor deemed insubordination (something Mularkey and the Buffalo staff accused him of as well).

I understand that in his heart Drew thought he could have done it too. Unfortunately, that's just self delusion. This team was never going to win anything with him, no matter who coached him. And apparently no other team was going to win with him either, particularly if they had to face Belichick or an opponent who grasped what Belichick exposed as his weakness when he coached against him in NY. And if Belichick had been forced to bench him midway through the 2001 season, the team likely would have been little more than a shell even a wonderkid couldn't have salvaged at that point. And the media - many of whom were already anti Belichick based on their peers assessments in Cleveland, would have been calling not for Drew's head, but for Belichicks after back to back miserable seasons. That is the fate Mo Lewis likely saved us from.

And on that note, I'm done with this because if folks don't get it yet they never will.

A lot more has come out since October of 2001, as is usually the case in these situations, and we likely won't hear the totally unvarnished truth until the Brady Belichick era in NE is over, if ever...

I understand that in his heart Drew thought he could have done it too. Unfortunately, that's just self delusion. This team was never going to win anything with him, no matter who coached him. And apparently no other team was going to win with him either, particularly if they had to face Belichick or an opponent who grasped what Belichick exposed as his weakness when he coached against him in NY. And if Belichick had been forced to bench him midway through the 2001 season, the team likely would have been little more than a shell even a wonderkid couldn't have salvaged at that point. And the media - many of whom were already anti Belichick based on their peers assessments in Cleveland, would have been calling not for Drew's head, but for Belichicks after back to back miserable seasons. That is the fate Mo Lewis likely saved us from.

And on that note, I'm done with this because if folks don't get it yet they never will.

I really liked how you took passages that weren't negative about Bledsoe and tried to use them as if Bledsoe was in the wrong. What was even more impressive to me, though, is the way you completely ignore the fact of Bledsoe taking the Patriots to the Super Bowl against the Packers and made absolutely moronic statements like "I understand that in his heart Drew thought he could have done it too. Unfortunately, that's just self delusion. This team was never going to win anything with him, no matter who coached him." It's complete garbage like that which really shows that you "get it".:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I always thought Bledsoe to Chicago would make sense... they are a good team with a horrible QB... but they aren't, like, a team building for the future. They can reasonably expect to make another Super Bowl run this coming year... so getting a QB to help win here and now would be an asset.

Drew isn't a student of the game, just a tall guy with a strong arm who likes to play it on Sundays. If he can't play, he has no interest in going through the motions.
IMHO, Bledsoe was a victim of his own tremendous talent. He never had to work at it to dominate in high school and he never had to work at it to dominate in college. His talent made him among the best of the best at those levels.

Now, he obviously wasn't a bust in the NFL. He had some fine years. But he just never seemed to have the work ethic needed to bring him to that next level that was dangling so tantilizingly close in front of him. When the season ended, he would disappear to the woods of Montana, happy to get away from it all.

MoLewisrocks Again, you are giving me one side of the story. There are two sides of every story. If you can't get that you never will. If you listen to Asante Samuel and Deon Branch, they will tell you that Belichick and Pioli disrespected them and I am sure Belichick and Pioli will say they treated them fairly. And depending on who you talk to in the lockerroom, they will probably come down on different sides of the issue.

There are a lot of conflicting reports of what happened. You choose to only accept one side, but there is plenty of evidence in other situations that Belichick has had communication problems with his players (Ted Johnson leaving the team, Lawyer Milloy, Deon Branch and his contract negotiations, Ted Washington and the rumor he walked away from a new deal because of the way they handled the final stages of the deal). Yes, some of those guys were wrong in their own respect, but better communications skills might have made those situations different.

Belichick is the greatest coach ever, but even his most ardent supporters will agree that player relations is his weakest suit. It is very conceivable that Bledsoe's dissatisfaction and attitude was brought on at least in part by Belichick's poor handling of communicating with Bledsoe.

I am not one of the people who will always just automatically take sides with Belichick and the Pats on every little issue. There is a pattern here with Belichick that points to that he probably didn't handle the Bledsoe situation as well as he should. Then again, I am sure that Bledsoe should have handled it differently too. I am not going to just assign all the blame to anyone when there is a lot of ambiguity to the situation with conflicting stories.

I always thought Bledsoe to Chicago would make sense... they are a good team with a horrible QB... but they aren't, like, a team building for the future. They can reasonably expect to make another Super Bowl run this coming year... so getting a QB to help win here and now would be an asset.

Yeah, that was what they said about Dallas under Parcells and Donahue's Bills. Just a QB away from a serious contender. Didn't pan out.

Yeah, that was what they said about Dallas under Parcells and Donahue's Bills. Just a QB away from a serious contender. Didn't pan out.

And both teams gave Bledsoe horrible o-lines to play behind. Bledsoe is very talented in some respects, but also has some major liabilities. The Bears' o-line is better than either the Bills' or Cowboys' were.

I don't see him coming back at all anyway. He won't want to fight with Grossman for a starting job. Bledsoe is done.

Can't say I remember many people saying Buffalo was "just a QB away" from being a serious contender in 2002... or anyone saying that about Dallas either...

MoLewisrocks Again, you are giving me one side of the story. There are two sides of every story. If you can't get that you never will. If you listen to Asante Samuel and Deon Branch, they will tell you that Belichick and Pioli disrespected them and I am sure Belichick and Pioli will say they treated them fairly. And depending on who you talk to in the lockerroom, they will probably come down on different sides of the issue.

There are a lot of conflicting reports of what happened. You choose to only accept one side, but there is plenty of evidence in other situations that Belichick has had communication problems with his players (Ted Johnson leaving the team, Lawyer Milloy, Deon Branch and his contract negotiations, Ted Washington and the rumor he walked away from a new deal because of the way they handled the final stages of the deal). Yes, some of those guys were wrong in their own respect, but better communications skills might have made those situations different.

Belichick is the greatest coach ever, but even his most ardent supporters will agree that player relations is his weakest suit. It is very conceivable that Bledsoe's dissatisfaction and attitude was brought on at least in part by Belichick's poor handling of communicating with Bledsoe.

I am not one of the people who will always just automatically take sides with Belichick and the Pats on every little issue. There is a pattern here with Belichick that points to that he probably didn't handle the Bledsoe situation as well as he should. Then again, I am sure that Bledsoe should have handled it differently too. I am not going to just assign all the blame to anyone when there is a lot of ambiguity to the situation with conflicting stories.

Hey Rob0729... I shouldn't have to do all the work. Besides, you seem to have the other side fully covered. We're all free to form our own opinions, and in this case we apparently have. The good news for all concerned is I have to leave for work now.

I've been critical about Belioli's approach to player relations in the past. But the longer I look at it the more I realize he's absolutely right. He's not interested in players he has to stroke and coddle. He also doesn't sit up nights thinking about how he can disrespect them, either. In fact I've grown to believe that to those who deserve it and even some who don't, he is one of the most respectful and consistent HC's in the league. He doesn't fawn over them or blow smoke up their asses to motivate or placate them. He also refuses to backstab them or throw them under the bus, preferring to publicly shoulder the blame for whatever shortcomings this team the players he constructs it with may ultimately have. He is honest with them, at times brutally so, but he does it behind closed doors and does whatever he can to insure it remains there (at least until you are long gone). He's more than willing to work with imperfection and make the most of any players individual abilities. All he really won't tolerate is lack of effort. He spends his time scheming to make this team the best it can be. He doesn't have time left for nursing delicate egos or bandaging hurt feelings. He barely sleeps 10 months of the year as it is. And he and Pioli don't just talk the talk, they walk it in their own business dealings with the organization - and that is beyond rare.

When I first started posting here it was because I was enraged that they appeared to be frigging with Brady over his contract extension. I came to realize over time that there were factors there beyond their control, not to mention perhaps a subtle message being sent to the troops - we don't roll over even for the franchise, and thankfully he doesn't ask us to either. Kraft articulated that pretty bluntly on the same night we won our 3rd championship in just 4 seasons. He said the team was eager to sign Tom to a long term extension PROVIDED he was not insistent on getting Manning type money. As usual, Tom passed the test. At the end of the day Belioli are left to divide a fixed salary pie. They aren't trying to pocket money for themselves or ownership or playing favorites with it.

I haven't been living under a rock or polishing my rose colored glasses for the last 6 years. I believe courtesy of the Boston media not to mention this website (where I found sometimes if you read more than you post you learn things you didn't realize you didn't know...) I have heard both sides of most of these stories. And in my opinion, the players who are no longer here are by and large not here for good reason, be it overriding personal, professional or financial concerns, with the possible exception of the kicker who always met them more than half way and probably deserved a little more consideration. But hey, that's why he landed on his feet, so they're even.

There was an interesting story after the first superbowl about the night the team arrived in NO. Several players were apparently upset with their accommodations, particularly in relation to the accommodations they saw assigned to some of the youger or in their view of the pecking order less significant or deserving players. They put Lawyer on the case, and he actually went to the HC's room to complain. Belichick (needless to say) was both dumbfounded and more than a little disappointed that this us and them mentality still apparently lingered just under the surface of his TEAM. In a way to both show them up while appearing to placate them, he refused to engineer a player room swap, but rather instructed several of his coaches to give up their larger rooms to these whining players.

I think this was the nexus of the second wave of core roster turnover, and it came at no small expense to Belichick since guys like Lawyer among others were the kind of players he is inherently drawn to - the ones he believes are students of the game to whom winning truly matters. But some of them still had that little character flaw that Belichick just can't tolerate - the need to be perceived as more deserving of deference than the rank and file guys who surround them. The ones who need to get their respect be it in salary or accolades. Which is why even coming off a Superbowl victory he began to realize that sooner or later at least a few more of them had to go in order to underscore the departure from a culture of entitlement that had pervaded this franchise for years.

His NFL mentor and our former HC Parcells treated his players differently in any number of ways based on any number of variables including their talent or personality or team needs or his own personal preference or his mood on any given day. Belichick didn't have the personality to pull that off and quite frankly after years of observing the pifalls of that approach he didn't care much for it. He wanted his talent and his leaders to be men who were willing to make some sacrifices for the greater good and who could conform to the same discipline required of every one in the organization from the CEO down to the towel boys. It's a pretty tough sell in today's personality driven NFL, and would be impossible to sell if it didn't work. But it has, and enough of them see that. Even this past season, you can sense how impressed this team was in hindsight with what it accomplished once they got over the sting of losing another trip to the Superbowl by mere minutes. It underscored once again that while talent matters, system trumps it provided there is sufficient talent willing and able to just do their job. Belichick had a few personnel missteps in 2006 which he readily admits may have cost them. But the fact that he even got the resulting team that far given the obstacles it faced is testament to the system and the intestinal fortitude of the core. Belichick is god like, but he's not god. He was ultimately done in by an intestinal flu...go figure. Smart players saw that and they also see what he has done to insure he doesn't come up just short in back to back to back seasons.

If some of them ultimately want to go play somewhere where they believe they will be more appreciated, so be it. More often than not they'll be sorry when they end up with half the money they anticipated when they sought to showcase their talent, and when they discover the bruising from publicly inflicted tire marks those player coaches tend to administer are tougher to get over from than a mere privately bruised ego. The Bills threw Drew his own ego boosting parade when he arrived in Buffalo, and by year two his release was being timed with a stop watch. When he decided to reverse that field position call on a lost coin toss, they opted to regroup with a wild eyed rookie. Of course by then Drew had cost them their jobs too. Parcells alternately publicly waxed poetic about what he felt a matured Drew could offer and then proceeded to regularly paint him as a continuing befuddlement. Midway through year two he publicly humiliated him on national television. Not to mention leaking the little sidebar that he refused to backup his replacement. By comparison, Belichick treated Drew with the utmost dignity, even extracting a first round draft pick in compensation for him while merely characterizing his last days here as understandably strained and uncomfortable. And for that, Drew will never forgive him. Whatever.

As for Chicago, I guess they figure they are no worse off with an inconsistent young QB prone to bad decisions who may yet develop (although I doubt it) than they would be with an aging veteran who has been prone to bad decisions throughout his lengthy career who isn't going to outgrow his negatives. If only they realized it was never Drew's fault. All he ever needed was an all pro Oline and a solid running game and an all world TE and pair of top flight WR's and he could make a top 5 defense look good too. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes