PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bledsoe on tail end of career > Young 10-5 QB with lots of upside

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgraw_wv

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Basically... right?

Any way you slice it we got hosed. Cassel is worth a 2nd round pick 100% by himself. Why add in a OLB/TE/Special Teamer/Team Leader ???

This was a bad bad deal... period.

Re: Bledsoe on tail end of career > Young 10-5 QB with lots of upside.

Consider the salaries. Cassel was clutching a piece of paper that said "You must pay me at least $5 million more than I'm worth." That cut his pick value a lot.

We were probably going to cut Vrabel, he wasn't worth 4.4 mill.

We would've have had to CUT Bledsoe as well that off season.

The standard tender is 2 first round picks for a franchise player. we got roughly as I put it 1/6th the value of what 2 firsts is... Now im not saying we should get 2 firsts, but only 1 second, and another player. If anything we needed to add their 3rd next year. For goodness sakes, when you had multiple teams, the price rises... and it felt like it was lowered....

Basically... right?

Any way you slice it we got hosed

Or maybe the Pats hosed the Bills back in the day.

Players are worth what someone is willing to pay. I have no idea how the negotiations went but I'm very happy getting a pick that is just about a #1 - btw we traded Bledsoe for a #1 in the next draft, we can likely trade this HIGH #2 for a #1 next year if we like. We were hamstrung by the franchise contract, that's no-one's fault, it's the way it is. We traded a franchused UFA and a player who, for all the great play we'd gotten out of him, was about at the end for a very valuable draft pick; now lets hope we use it well.

We would've have had to CUT Bledsoe as well that off season.

The standard tender is 2 first round picks for a franchise player. we got roughly as I put it 1/6th the value of what 2 firsts is... Now im not saying we should get 2 firsts, but only 1 second, and another player. If anything we needed to add their 3rd next year. For goodness sakes, when you had multiple teams, the price rises... and it felt like it was lowered....

But Cassel is not really a franchise player. He is a QB who can start in the league. He's a 7th round project that turned into a 2nd round pick.

Now the Pats have $20MM more in cap room to go out and get an impact player. I'd rather have the money to go after a veteran role player or two than have to gamble on a high priced day one draft pick

We were probably going to cut Vrabel, he wasn't worth 4.4 mill.

I disagree, but most considered Cassel to be worth a number one pick by himself.

I disagree, but most considered Cassel to be worth a number one pick by himself.

:confused: You think Vrabel was worth 4.4M?????????

Pass it over, I want some of that stuff. :rolleyes: Nobody appreciates what Vrabel did for us as much as I. I love the guy forever and he is THE CONSUMMATE PATRIOT. That said, he's no longer a 4.4M guy. No shame in that, it happens to EVERY PLAYER.

Last edited:

:confused: You think Vrabel was worth 4.4M?????????

Pass it over, I want some of that stuff. :rolleyes: Nobody appreciates what Vrabel did for us as much as I. I love the guy forever and he is THE CONSUMMATE PATRIOT. That said, he's no longer a 4.4M guy. No shame in that, it happens to EVERY PLAYER.

Eh, that's a low starter's salary these days. I mean, he's no worse than Jabari Greer or Derrick Dockery, even at the age of 34.

I am still waiting to see if we got a conditional 2010 pick as well.

It is very odd that they said Vrabel was traded for an undisclosed pick, and then we find out it was Cassel, so 2 players for 1 pick?

We were hamstrung by the franchise contract, that's no-one's fault, it's the way it is.

I agree. The people complaining about the trade make it sound like the Patriots held all the cards in the deal. If you want to place blame, blame Detroit, Minnesota, Carolina, Tampa, et al. for not creating a more lucrative market for Cassel.

Keeping Cassel on the roster was not an option. The reports we hear are that Tampa and Carolina wanted Cutler. There were never any reports that Detroit had intrest in Cassel. I was worried coming into the FA period that KC was the ONLY team with any serious interest in Cassel. That being the case, I am thankful we got what we did out of the deal.

Basically... right?

Any way you slice it we got hosed. Cassel is worth a 2nd round pick 100% by himself. Why add in a OLB/TE/Special Teamer/Team Leader ???

how do you know. How about we wait a few years down the road....what if Brady never misses another game and continues where he left off. What if
Cassel falls. What if we draft an All-pro leader with the 34th pick.

I am still waiting to see if we got a conditional 2010 pick as well.

It is very odd that they said Vrabel was traded for an undisclosed pick, and then we find out it was Cassel, so 2 players for 1 pick?

What I'm guessing is that they would have coughed up a 6 or a 7 for Vrabel alone, had Cassel ended up going elsewhere.

Basically... right?

Oh and did you know Belichick is an idiot ... too many fools in this forum lately.

Just because a deal happened in the past doesn't mean that it's the current market.

Remember, if asked to do it again, would the Bills make that deal? Hell no. Would the Texans make their deal again for Schaub? Doubt it.

So you're citing two lopsided deals and saying that it should set the market for Cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes