PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bleacher Reports Matt Miller Safety Rankings – McCourty #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If "pass defends" are inflated why won't that apply to INTs?
Compare their Safety stats. McCourty's rookie year was fantastic. He hasn't lived up to that promise that's why he got moved.
With that said, I can't rank the NFL safeties.

The last 2 seasons he has 6 interceptions, 5 forced fumbles, 22 pass defends, and 5 run stuffs. Thomas has 8 interceptions, 3 forced fumbles, 18 pass defends, and 3 run stuffs over that same period (he played in 1 more game as well).

McCourty dropped a number of catchable interceptions this season, if he can haul those in he makes the leap to the best in the NFL in my opinion.

As far as living up to the rookie season, McCourty was a second team all-pro this past season. Considering there are 64 starting safeties in the NFL that is very impressive.

The last 2 seasons he has 6 interceptions, 5 forced fumbles, 22 pass defends, and 5 run stuffs. Thomas has 8 interceptions, 3 forced fumbles, 18 pass defends, and 3 run stuffs over that same period (he played in 1 more game as well).

McCourty dropped a number of catchable interceptions this season, if he can haul those in he makes the leap to the best in the NFL in my opinion.

As far as living up to the rookie season, McCourty was a second team all-pro this past season. Considering there are 64 starting safeties in the NFL that is very impressive.
Just stop while your ahead, B6. Your own stats belie your position. Thomas ranks BEHIND McCourty in all but one stat, and that was just by 2. :rolleyes: Just take the accolades for finding and posting an interesting source of discussion. I thank you for that.

Very interesting thread topic. A couple of comments on the comments

1. I think we all can agree, that as far as BarStool Sports is concerned you have to be a discerning reader. But we shouldn't dismiss out of hand everything that comes from that site. This guy seems to have used a decent methodology to rate player on their current productivity, so I think we should give it some credence.

2. We should also remember that these assessments are based on current productivity. So room for improvement for younger players have to be considered. There are a few guys who bear watching for the future For example George Ioloki, who has outstanding physical talent and is improving....but as of now was rated in the bottom 25%. 2 years from now, he might be someone to look at.

3. Steve Gregory placed right about where I thought he would, in the top 40% I also think they hit it correctly that while he's a decent starter, his better role would be as a 3rd S. BTW- I think part of the reason he missed 12 tackles was because of his bad hand. All that being said, If the Pats don't draft another S, I wouldn't be shocked to see Gregory resigned, if he isn't picked up by the draft

4.Duron Harmon was an interesting read. Very complimentary of his hips and intelligence. Not so much on his size, athletic skills, and ultimate ceiling. IMHO he looks like he could eventually be another Steve Gregory. Now that may horrify some of you, but in reality Gregory is viewed as better than most think. Not great, but effective, especially if used properly.

In the end, all this is great fodder for discussion and differing opinions, and to that end a great thread

Just for the record, while this guy's actually a legitimate writer, "Bleacher Report" is a meaningless attempt to appeal to authority. It's an open forum mocked up to look like a blog in order to take people's contributions and use them to drive traffic and thus ad revenue (Google doesn't help, since Bleacher Report articles show up as "news"), but anyone is able to post an 'article.' Brady6 could (and probably should) post his thousand word rants there. But that's not journalism, it's a money making scheme.

There are some decent writers there (their 'featured columnists' like this guy) but one wonders why they can't find a job anywhere else.

What's the difference between a money making scheme like Bleacher that sells writers stories for adds and say everything else. Is it all the expertise and training we get from newspaper reporters?

What's the difference between a money making scheme like Bleacher that sells writers stories for adds and say everything else. Is it all the expertise and training we get from newspaper reporters?

For one thing, newspapers pay their contributors (I think BR pays its 'featured contributors'). And you get what you pay for. Unless you think there's no difference between a random poster on this board and, say, Mike Reiss.

I do think that McCourty is the third best free safety in the NFL, after Thomas and Byrd.

I was far more surprised by how high Harmon was ranked (#52) than McCourty.

That alone should tell you that Mr. 1 Int McCourty is overrated. We had NO! Playmakers at Safety with McCourty and Gregory combined. For a coverted CB to Safety McCourty doesn't remind me of Ed Reed in his prime.

LOL. Maybe because he isn't Ed Reed in his prime? In fact nobody is.

I take these reports with a grain of salt. My concern still remains can Harmon or Tavon Wilson step up into that #2 safety position. I would feel better if we added more competition to the safety group.

Chris Clemons at #15 is the highest-ranking Safety who is still unsigned. If Browner isn't
playing Safety, then Bill needs to find somebody who can, and I don't mean Duron Harmon,
Ebner, or the Error Repeater.

Normally I am not a huge fan of Bleacher Report writers but Miller is the best one in my opinion, anyway Miller ranked the top 75 safeties in the NFL; McCourty was #2 behind just Earl Thomas. On the flipside, former Patriot Pat Chung came in last in the rankings at #75. The Patriots enter 2014 with the best safety and the best cornerback in the AFC, who would have thought that, would happen.

B/R NFL 1000: Top 75 Safeties | Bleacher Report

Shame on you for posting something positive about a Patriot player!! :violent:

I actually think Dev does good in run defense(considering how far back he lines up. Maybe with Revis he can cheat a bit. Still think he can improve his pass defense though

I do think that McCourty is the third best free safety in the NFL, after Thomas and Byrd.

I was far more surprised by how high Harmon was ranked (#52) than McCourty.

Did you think he would be higher or lower?

Did you think he would be higher or lower?

My guess would be lower, since that puts him on the lower tier of starter ranks. I didn't figure anyone would have him up there after one year where he had relatively little playing time.

Just for the record, while this guy's actually a legitimate writer, "Bleacher Report" is a meaningless attempt to appeal to authority. It's an open forum mocked up to look like a blog in order to take people's contributions and use them to drive traffic and thus ad revenue (Google doesn't help, since Bleacher Report articles show up as "news"), but anyone is able to post an 'article.' Brady6 could (and probably should) post his thousand word rants there. But that's not journalism, it's a money making scheme.

There are some decent writers there (their 'featured columnists' like this guy) but one wonders why they can't find a job anywhere else.

For one thing, newspapers pay their contributors (I think BR pays its 'featured contributors'). And you get what you pay for. Unless you think there's no difference between a random poster on this board and, say, Mike Reiss.

It's not quite as bad as you're making it up to be primetime, but it's not reading a guy like Mike Reiss either.

In your earlier post, you suggest that "anyone" could write in their "open forum." That's not necessarily true. You need to apply just the same way as most other gigs, and they accept about 20% of their overall applicants (1 in every 5 is what they claim).

You send articles of your work for them to read over and either throw in the junk pile or place in the approval pile. Whether a guy like Brady 6 would make it (sorry for bringing you back into the conversation) is anyone's guess.

The comparison is more like our best 20% on this forum vs a professional like Mike Reiss. I don't want to get into ranking specific posters because I don't think it's fair, but basically we'd have to take the absolute cream of the crop on the forum and consider their articles in comparison---much like we see articles written by Zeus on the front page of this site as well. I think that's a fair comparison.

Not that I think it's terribly credible or mean to disagree with your opinion b/c I don't.
I'm just clearing up what the percentage is of "accepted applicants" and how the process goes down. There was one point where I actually looked into it when they first started and I had no idea what they were about, but once I received their instructions and app process, I did not feel as though I had anything worth a damn to offer in terms of "examples" of some kind of good writing style, so I never bothered applying.

Just trying to clear up any confusion about what it takes to make it on Bleacher Report, nothing more...

I truly hope McCourty is as good as everyone says he is. My eyes tell me differently.

I truly hope McCourty is as good as everyone says he is. My eyes tell me differently.

I don't know if I'd be as ready as some to name him the #2 safety in the NFL, but he'd definitely be up there in the top 4-6-8--in my opinion. He's an up and comer at the position in my mind, and I hope that we sign him to an extension sometime soon.

He's the kind of guy that needs to continue to progress in a Pats uni, not some other colors.

You send articles of your work for them to read over and either throw in the junk pile or place in the approval pile. Whether a guy like Brady 6 would make it (sorry for bringing you back into the conversation) is anyone's guess.

It is ok SF I know that my future as a writer at Bleacher Report is bleak – I have the grammar of the fifth grader, the football knowledge of an elementary school flag football coach, and even if I did slip through the cracks I would get canned for only writing about my dislike of Danny Amendola.

I know, I'll probably get stick for this, but personally, I was shocked to see that Adrian Wilson didn't even crack the top 75.

A couple of years ago, he'd have been top 15. Now after a year of injury, he's not even a top 75 safety? He's still a top 40 now, even though he's a year older and coming off an Achilles tear, he's still Adrian Wilson. 8 sacks in a year, (NFL record for a DB).

But anyway, I think D-Mac is easily top 5, but maybe Chancellor should be higher then Devin but he's still an elite safety, in my opinion.

I know, I'll probably get stick for this, but personally, I was shocked to see that Adrian Wilson didn't even crack the top 75.

A couple of years ago, he'd have been top 15. Now after a year of injury, he's not even a top 75 safety? He's still a top 40 now, even though he's a year older and coming off an Achilles tear, he's still Adrian Wilson. 8 sacks in a year, (NFL record for a DB).

But anyway, I think D-Mac is easily top 5, but maybe Chancellor should be higher then Devin but he's still an elite safety, in my opinion.

It was based on their play in 2013, since Wilson did not play he was not rated at all.

By the way welcome to the board.

:welcome:

It was based on their play in 2013, since Wilson did not play he was not rated at all.

By the way welcome to the board.

:welcome:

Ahh, I always thought it was based on their abilities & skills set. If it's based on their play, they have got some of their ratings awfully wrong... :p

Edelman at 31? Didn't he finish 5th in receptions? I thought so... ;)

Also, what's this Welcome to the board? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back