PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blast from the Past: Scouting Bloopers from ProFootball Weekly 2003-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
All comments were made by anonymous NFL scouts in ProFootball Weekly.

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/default.htm

Charles Rogers:
“At least one other team ranks Rogers first on its draft board. ‘Charles Rogers… is the best receiver to come out since Randy Moss,’ said one AFC personnel director, who has a need at the position. ‘There are a lot of people who think Marvin (Lewis) is trying to find the safest pick. If that’s the case, he’ll take Rogers.’ Rogers is naturally gifted and has Moss’ combination of size and speed. Some question his intensity and intelligence, but no one has concerns about ability or the impact Rogers would have on an offense.â€
“He automatically draws double coverage. You can’t just throw a corner — unless you have Deion Sanders — out there and tell him to stop him. He wants the ball, and if he ever decides he’s going to work at it, like Moss did because he had some veterans to push him, he’s going to be really special.â€

Kyle Boller
“If a team doesn’t reach for Boller early, he shouldn’t get past the Ravens, where Boller’s and Ravens head coach Brian Billick’s egos blend perfectly. ‘I love Coach Billick,’ Boller said after a visit to team's facility yesterday. ‘If I can play for him, I feel like I can be happier than ever.’â€

Leftwich vs Palmer
“Leftwich did not appear to be limited at all by the left tibia he fractured in November, moving well and showing good accuracy on the run. Next up is a private workout with the Bengals, who PFW has been told are not sold on Carson Palmer and could surprise some teams by making Leftwich the No. 1 overall pick. One source told PFW that Marvin Lewis, who was eyeing Leftwich closely, is sold on Leftwich’s leadership, and his performance yesterday could send Palmer spiraling down the draft board.â€

Larry Johnson vs Artose Pinner
“Johnson doesn’t impress me. I was at his workout, and that was great. A 225-pound guy that runs a 4.4 is nothing to sneeze at. But part of the equation is what he does on the field. Numbers-wise, he only produced one year, and the point that he struggled against winning teams, high-rated teams, isn’t to be swept under the rug. I’m going to tell you, a close second, because he can catch and has some power, is Artose Pinner. If he didn’t have that broken foot, we’d be hearing that name a lot.â€

CB Sammy Davis
“An outstanding Senior Bowl performance, coupled with solid workouts, has made Texas A&M CB Sammy Davis a top priority with NFL teams. He was in Kansas City Wednesday and will visit the Titans on Monday before meeting with the Jets April 9 and the Steelers the following day.â€

Dewayne Robertson vs. Jimmy Kennedy
“If the Bengals remain in the top spot in the draft, one team with a pick in the top five believes they could shock a lot of people. ‘They won’t decide for a week or better, but you know what? I wouldn’t bat an eye if they drafted Dewayne Robertson,’ said one NFC scout. Though the Bengals would be hard-pressed to pass on a quarterback, the addition of Marvin Lewis as head coach and his defense-first attitude leads some to believe he’ll go in that direction with his first pick. In a deep DL class, making Robertson the top pick is a move that would be highly scrutinized, but multiple teams have an interest in moving up to grab the promising tackle, who has 4.84 speed at 324 pounds. It would make sense to see the Bengals move down and grab Robertson, if he truly is their top target. PFW’s top-rated defensive tackle, Robertson, a junior, has had terrific workouts and surpassed Penn State DT Jimmy Kennedy on many draft boards.â€

Kellen Winslow vs Himself
“if a team is willing to take what most scouts consider a minor risk for a potentially mammoth reward, the top-rated player on most boards is Kellen Boswell Winslow II.â€

Robert Gallery vs Roethlesberger
“The Chargers have an affinity for Iowa OLT Robert Gallery, whom scouts also consider a ‘safe’ pick as compared to Roethlisberger or a defensive player.â€

Robert Gallery
“As one scout with strong West Coast ties put it: ‘Mark my words: The Chargers won’t pick first, and if they do, they take Gallery.’â€

Ben Watson“Take away Watson’s workout numrs and he’s an average football player. He’ll be overdrafted based on what he does without pads on.â€

Shawn Merriman
“Shawne Merriman could really slide. He’s so stiff and straight-linish.â€

Just to underscore how terrible a pick WR Charles Rogers was for Detroit, not only did he test positive for drugs before the draft, but he had an all-time low of 5 on the Wonderlic. Steve Mariucci was the one who "fell in love" with Rogers, and he probably deserved to be fired for that pick alone...

Way too funny...

it's like reading old stock suggestions for Enron when it was at $90/share.

PonyExpress said:
All comments were made by anonymous NFL scouts in ProFootball Weekly.

Charles Rogers:
“At least one other team ranks Rogers first on its draft board. ‘Charles Rogers… is the best receiver to come out since Randy Moss,’ said one AFC personnel director, who has a need at the position. ‘There are a lot of people who think Marvin (Lewis) is trying to find the safest pick. If that’s the case, he’ll take Rogers.’ Rogers is naturally gifted and has Moss’ combination of size and speed. Some question his intensity and intelligence, but no one has concerns about ability or the impact Rogers would have on an offense.”
“He automatically draws double coverage. You can’t just throw a corner — unless you have Deion Sanders — out there and tell him to stop him. He wants the ball, and if he ever decides he’s going to work at it, he’s going to be really special.”

Not what I want to see about a #1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes