Welcome to PatsFans.com

Black Teen Run Off the Liberal Plantation

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, May 2, 2012.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -3

Teen bullied by teacher and school administrators. Story of Jada Williams, 13 year old harassed by teachers, driven out fo school for writing an essay about Frederick Douglas that made NEA members uncomfortable.

What an outrage being expelled from school for having an insight into the education she is receiving.
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

What an outrage that you use the word "expelled" as if you know what it means.

Why is it, 13, that no matter how bad a story is on it's own you always feel the need to make it worse by saying something untrue? Do you think it adds something to the telling? Do you think we need your "help" to be more disturbed or more angered by the plain truth?

Do you not understand that it makes us less sympathetic, not more?

Do you realize why you have zero credibility with so many of us here?
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

The obsession with Race is obvious, and to just post something from American Stinker... shows the lack of intellectual curiosity and overall intelligence..

She was not expelled, she switched schools..

What is interesing here is that a extreme righty would assume that there is discrimination, something that Jada perceives and believes, however time and time again posters have appealed to your station as moderator when they believe that they have been discriminated against and essentially you say suck it up... strange but true.

Some of her comments:

Liberal plantation?? Remember those hallowed words next time you accuse someone of race baiting or playing the race card..

City school district*apologizes*to teen who claims*she*was harassed for her*essay* | www.WHEC.com

There is no defense of what the teachers in Rochester did, but the playing of the race card rings hollow by the extreme right...
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

If "expelled" is that much overstated then "she switched schools" is that much understated.
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Perhaps but it doesn't invalidate the article or the parallels Jayda feels, which is what we should be discussing here
  6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

Thank God we have pf13 and The American Thinker, the Frederick Douglasses of our times, to bring this to our attention.

Some may call them radicals, but I think we need that kind of race-conscious energy to redress the heinous crime of people disagreeing with conservative views. As Glenn Beck, father of the Civil Rights Movement put it, "we were the ones that did it in the first place..."

:rolleyes:

PFnV
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

But which one is true?
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

Actually, it does, SB.

How can we be expected to "discuss" a faulty premise?

The original article, with it's "Liberal Platation" theme, has already sensationalized it and the thread starter, not content with mere sensationalism, took it one step further - right into the realm of fantasy.

There's no "discussing" the heart of the story when it's been sensationalized unless there is a capability, on both sides of the discussion, of ignoring the sensational and there is no possible discussion of a lie unless the lie is acknowledged and retracted.

I'll be perfectly happy to come back and discuss the matter when and if those two things happen.
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I get the irony but why didn't we hear about this from the more NEA friendly sources? It's a story worthy of discussion.

....Interesting perspective from a NYC history teacher:

Jada Williams: Lightning in the Night | assailedteacher

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

Why is it that our left-leaning members often attack the author rather than address the subject matter?

I just wonder what motivates any intelligent person to read a post and then decide to make the author the subject matter.

Is it a strategy or a personality trait?
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

If you feel comfortable discussing a lie as if it were truth, go right ahead, PR.

Otherwise your post is nothing more than a perfect example of the very thing you're complaining about.
  12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

42, reading the links here -- and the links in the links -- what is striking is both (a) the 13-year-old's assessment of her own personal circumstances, and (b) the cause celebre flavor suddenly championed by the right. Another "Finally! A black person who toes what can be tormented into a conservative point!" thread.

Now, given that she's a 13-year-old, it's not too striking that in no link I've read thus far have any of the teachers been interviewed. It is striking that the standard "oh no the worst kind of racism -- reverse racism!" meme hasn't been invoked. When you read her essay, she only has difficulty with "the white teachers."

That does not bother me, because I'm aware that the racial dynamic is in fact the context of the story. However, the standard righty meme is "if we're all equal how come she mentions the white teachers."

And that's not about this 13-year-old kid, that's about this board, and righties at large.

Finally, her complaint appears to be that white teachers hand out packets to kids, and expect them to learn. She pretty much says white teachers have written off black kids as "unteachable." She compares that attitude to attitudes derided in Douglass' book.

However, the prescription -- "teach better" -- is not really a bolt of insight. Nor is it an unusual opinion for a 13-year-old. Nor is it usually championed by the righties, other than to say that all public education should be replaced with coupons for private schools... do they even have a demonstrably better record when viewed across the board (as opposed to comparing Exeter with PS 113)?

She feels she's seen teachers -- scratch that, white teachers -- who've given up on black students. Does she have black teachers? Have they not given up on black students? In essence, are we to conclude that (1) white teachers need more understanding of students of other cultures or (2) that education should be segregated? Those are the conclusions the essay points to.

Since nobody wants to be on the "plantation," no fair saying that the kids have any part in this ("be more teachable!") and no appealing to "where are the parents."

The stated problem is that white teachers are bad at teaching black kids, per the essay. We are taking her at her word, and we are deciding a priori that there's no point to examining the claim that perhaps she is exhibiting anger etc.

Our 13-year-old student has identified bad white teachers. What is the solution?

PFnV
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I hear you. And I think The American Thinker was thrilled to use Jada's Plantation parallel to make digs at liberals, not because they're suddenly champions of racial equality or really cared about Jada's experience. That does ring a little hollow.

Yet, if we strip away all the disingenuous support Jada finds herself getting from the likes of Beck, the we're still left with her reality. We get a lot of "a bunch of white guys discussing what they think racism is" criticism here. Well here's a young black girl discussing what she feels a bunch of white teachers do to virtually perpetuate slavery and she was virtually taken to the woodshed for expressing it. Expelled was a poor and inaccurate account for what happened but "she switched schools" was way understated and an insult to Jada as far as I see it.

I agree that we should choose our words thoughtfully and honestly because the words themselves become the focus and the whole meat of the story becomes lost.
  14. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

disingenuous opportunity knocking and they were all to quick to answer the door. At the same time, absent the NEA, wouldn't this have been just the kind of story liberals would be all over...say it was a catholic school the kind of school Mit would send his kids?

The solution, well i think a serious review of the methods is in order. Can they improve? Is it all in Jada's head? It seems to me the school only considered the second question.
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

They do it with EVERYTHING they don't like, they don't want to hear or they don't agree with, they do it when there is nothing left for them to do, when there is no way out.

THAT IS WHY THEY FEAR AND HATE THE NEW MODERN DAY NEWS MEDIA THEIR LEFT WING LIBERAL NEWS OUTLETS CAN'T HIDE ANYTHING FROM US ANYMORE, THEY CAN TRY BUT THEY KNOW IT'S USELESS, THEY KNOW WE NOW HAVE OTHER OUTLETS THAT HAVE THE COURAGE TO TELL THE WHOLE STORY.

GOOD EXAMPLE
    Many blacks beat white couple, media bury attack
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Not really, the source is f..ing not telling the truth, i.e. it is lying and there are many who just follow instead of checking it out.. then the mod plays the race card, so you expect silence.

Perhaps you are satisfied with the disengenuousness of the American Non Thinker, but many of us here tend to be skeptics..

[​IMG]
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

The reality is that his an anecdotal incident, which is obviously wrong, and the right wants to draw some great parallels to something...

If you choose to read the article and just accept it, then it is on you..

It has nothing to do with the NEA, it is an incident that was addressed by the Superintendent and the child is now in a different school.

The efforts to demonize the NEA in this context is wrong, particularly as the Rochester Teachers are affiliated with the American Federation of Teachers(AFT)... wrong, wrong, wrong again.
  18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

It's really a shame. The article exposes some below average teachers, who may or may not be liberal (but most people in the helping professions tend to be fairly liberal), and underscores that there are real parallels today to the black experience of another era. While mediocre teaching is obviously not as bad as slavery, it's great to see publications like the American "Thinker" and people like patsfans13 sympathizing with with the young woman, who is in effect drawing attention to the right wing war on teachers and school funding. There is no dearth of mediocre liberal or conservative teachers, but clearly schools need to do more to recruit some outstanding teachers and invest in continuing education for teachers.

When I was in high school, I wrote an editorial for the school newspaper condemning its racist name. Not only was the editorial not printed, I was removed as editor from the newspaper (and then I refused to join it again until my senior year). My editorial began, "Not the big n-, not the big k-, but the Big Injun,..." I always regretted not fighting back harder. Many years later I ran into the teacher, and she apologized to me. I think I taught her something. I think Jada did the same to her teachers.
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Patters its spin like that which ruins a lot of your otherwise thoughtful posts.
  21. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

22. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Is it me or is it a bit too Ad Hitlerium to compare poor teachers to a slave overseer who shoots a slave in the face?
  23. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

Yeah, but she's 13 yo, and she drew an analogy to the modern era. Getting a second rate education can result in wage slavery. If I was a teacher, I would have praised her for her thinking.
  24. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

With the way that George Bush's, No Child Left Behind was regulated, she is more right than wrong.. free her from the shackles of standards of standardized testing..
  25. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm not blaming the kid, after all she's in school to learn how to write; but it never occurred to the guy writing the story in the OP that it was a bit of a stretch?
  26. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Clearly the school handled this wrong, and the half-hearted apology is about all that will come of it, I'm sure. None of this surprises me, given some of the pettiness that goes on in academics.

Also not surprising that the right again invokes the plantation theme they so adore (wonder why that is...)
  27. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Darryl sometimes right wing sources actually do have a point. This is not just some right wing conspiracy. Granted in addition to the newsworthy story they used this incident to take shots at some of their favorite targets, but they also have found strange bedfellows that share many of the same thoughts on this. Notice some similar "sensationalism" tone to what was found in the Thinker piece. There were quite a few more blogs and articles from other non conservative sources but these reflect the message from the rest. Missing is what I think would be and appropriate response from the NEA.

28. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

The Union in Rochester is from the AFT, not the NEA... the union has no dog in this fight, teachers f..ed up, and if discipline ensues then they will have a role.. until then and even afterwards they will probably be silent on this issue. Unions represent the teachers, not the kids..

The difference is that the American Thinker and the subsequent commentary drew all sorts of conclusions, often I come across articles such as this I question the content.. then I try to find the actual article, which tends to be more factual and then I can draw my own conclusions..

Just to pick up a highly biased article and just run with it, without investigation or corraboration is a sign of laziness...
  29. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

If the American Thinker did not run with this we'd still have the many progressive pieces that came to many of the same conclusions complete with forced out claims and modern slavery analogies. They investigated the same raw story to come up with their conclusions.
  30. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -3

What were NEA Union reps doing at meetings with the young lady and her parents, when she was bing smeared as a trouble maker?

Why did the administration and teachers harass the student by 'chenaing' her grades after she emmingly 'insulted' the teacjers with her paper?

Why was the teacher not fired for reporducinng and distributing her paper for the purpose of ostracizing a 13 year old for her (IMO) insightful paper...

Why didn't liberal newssources cover this story?