PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Black Monday: Which NFL Coaches Will Be Fired?

Whisenhunt out

I'm kinda surprised to see Lovie get canned.. the Bears problems seem to me to be talent related. Particularly on OL, WR (outside of Marshall). D wasn't that great either except at getting turnovers. But I think if they had a good O line the very well could have gotten in the playoffs.

While 98.5 reported Rivera gone in Carolina earlier, I haven't been able to find verification of that anywhere. What I'm seeing runs counter to it, and the most recent 98.5 news update didn't list him among the fired coaches, so I'll consider that report erroneous unless further reports back it. Here's what I'm reading:

I'd highly doubt if we'll hear anything on Ron Rivera's future today, if even this week. I'm told Jerry Richardson is not around today.

https://twitter.com/SteveReedAP/status/285740553793048577

Last edited:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Jets and Jaguars have asked permission from San Francisco to interview 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble for their GM jobs.

There have been more firings so far today (7) than there have been in the past 3 years combined. So to put things in a positive light, it will be interesting to see who ends up where and how that effects the Patriots staff. Some thoughts:

Candidates with Patriots ties:
-Josh McDaniels: could be a candidate in several places depending on how things shake out. KC (If Pioli stays on), CLE (if Lombardi gets the GM job & they can't get Chip Kelly/Saban. Patriots getting a bye may likely lead to him getting at least an interview towards the end of this week.
-Cardinal Director of Personnel Jason Licht: Has spent parts of 4 years in Foxboro with BB. Rumored to be a candidate for GM in Jacksonville. I wonder if he is a candidate for GM in Arizona? Would he take someone within the Pats with him?
-Penn State HC Bill O'Brien: Is getting a ton of interest by reports. Could he be tied to a Lombardi or Licht?
-Pats Director of Personnel Nick Caserio: pure speculation on my behalf, but would he want to run his own show? He's been in his spot since '08. He would be a solid GM candidate for several teams.
-Pats advisor Floyd Reese: same speculation on my behalf as Caserio, but has GM experience and there is plenty of demand in the marketplace right now.

If McDaniels or O'Brien get jobs, I wonder what effect, if any, that will have on the rest of the Pats coaching staff. Could either one of them take a few of the current staff with them? Who would step up as OC if McDaniels is gone?

Going job by job looking at potential candidates:
(based on various "reports", so mostly speculation)

Arizona (Open GM & HC): NH native Chip Kelly (Oregon HC)? Andy Reid?
Buffalo (Open HC): depends on what they do with Buddy Nix most likely. Since they are the Bills, they will most likely stall and get the worst candidate available. (See Chan Gailey in 2010)
Chicago (Open HC): Mike McCoy(Denver OC)
Cleveland (Open GM & HC): Supposedly will go after a HC before GM. NH native Chip Kelly (Oregon HC), Dirk Koetter (Atlanta OC), Aaron Kromer (New Orleans OL coach)
Kansas City (Open HC): Depends on what they do with Pioli. If they keep him, McDaniels/O'Brien could be possibilities. Kirk Ferentz also a possibility? Dirk Koetter (ATL OC)
Philadelphia (Open HC): Jon Gruden (ESPN), Jay Gruden (Cincy OC), Bill O'Brien?
San Diego(Open GM & HC): NH native Chip Kelly? Reports say that they aren't interested in Reid and they are going after a GM first.
NY Jets (Open GM): As mentioned above, San Fran's Director of Personnel Tom Gamble
Jacksonville (Open GM) : As mentioned above, San Fran's Director of Personnel Tom Gamble

Last edited:
Wow!! Looks like Michael Corleone is settling all family business today.

Whisenhunt out

He lost complete control this year. Also, once Reid got canned, I think Whiz getting canned was a done deal -- not saying the Cards will hire Reid for sure, but I think they want to kick the tires.

Where did you see the Rivera firing?

Deus posted that it was announced on 98.5 up there in New England.

EDIT: I see that it seems to have been erroneous for now..

Still at 7 coaches gone..

Possibles include: Rivera, Ryan, Mularkey

Then you have the following GMs:
Tannenbaum (Jets) , Graves (Cards) , Gene Smith (Jaguars) , Heckert (Browns) , A.J. Smith (Chargers),

On the hot seat:
Pioli

Last edited:
McDaniels has said he doesn't plan on leaving.

I think O'Brien is going to stay at Penn State. He really turned that team around given the tarnished reputation from the Sandusky affair..

McDaniels has said he doesn't plan on leaving.

I think O'Brien is going to stay at Penn State. He really turned that team around given the tarnished reputation from the Sandusky affair..

Agreed. It's not like that given a 2 year opportunity window to look at your long term career choices McD or O'B won't have choices. Many of theses 7 openings will be open again in 3 years along with other new ones. Playing hard to get will only improve the quietly of the offers. In McD's case it would be his last shot at HC. Don't pick a bad org.

Last edited:
Somewhere, Jon Gruden is staring into the abyss at the edge of the fiscal cliff, cackling like a madman.

This is amazing - 7 head coaches fired and none of them are named Ryan.

Biggest surprises are Ken Whisenhunt and Lovie Smith. The Bears are by far the best job on the board and would be a great spot for Josh to build an offense to go along with that defense. The Eagles are next - a lot to work with there.

Rex finishes last in the AFC East at 6-10 and is allowed to stay behind the wheel of the clown car. Brilliant. 9-7, 11-5, 8-8, 6-10. Nice record, Rex. 2013 projected record: 4-12.

The Cowboys finish 8-8 and Tony Romo chokes in the big game - 3 interceptions - and Jerry Jones saying it was a disappointing season for like the 15th year in a row. You can set your watch by these guys.

Last edited:
Interesting that Bud Adams didn't fire his coach, and he didn't fire his G.M., but he fired the guy who hired them:

Yes, Adams took off the mittens and gave a double-barreled middle finger to Mike Reinfeldt.

“He has two more years to go on his contract but I think we’d be better off without him,” Adams said, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “I don’t think he was getting the job done. Mike Reinfeldt is out.

Bud Adams makes Mike Reinfeldt the scapegoat | ProFootballTalk

Bud Adams seems to be the next in line for the Al Davis throne...

Some position coaches were let go.. Shawn Jefferson- WR Coach in Detroit and Sam Gash - RB Coach in Detroit.

I always liked Jefferson and his style of play. He's done a good job with the WRs there and getting them up to speed.

I'd love to see Kraft bring Gash back into the fold. That rift that Parcells created really sucked..

I was talking to a couple Bears fans in a sports bar yesterday and they told me the feeling was that Lovie Smith was definitely gone if Chicago missed the playoffs, and possibly gone if they had made it but were one and done. The general feeling was more than just the back-to-back second half collapses; it was that most felt there was way too much talent on the team for them to not have a better record.

There were injuries of course, but every team has injuries. If that causes a team to collapse, is that on the head coach for not coaching up the backups? Or on the GM, for not acquiring better depth?

On a separate note, Rich Cimini at espnNY throws out a bunch of names for the next possible GM of the Jets; notable names include former Bears GM Jerry Angelo, and former Colts GM Bill Polian.

Potential GM candidates - Jets Blog - espn New Jersey

The Bears already have a new GM, and he most likely wanted his own guy.

Lovie Smith isn't that good. Similar to Tony Dungy.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Jets and Jaguars have asked permission from San Francisco to interview 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble for their GM jobs.

Perfect last name for a GM. :D

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back