PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Black Monday and the NFL Coaching Carousel

Wow would be a good hire for Oakland say what you want about the back stabbed Hes a good head coach.

Favre killed Mangini in NY. With that said, if you listen to what Revis and other NYJ vets said about him, he was not very well liked. One thing is for sure, he did a very good job picking players and signing FAs and building the 2009, 2010 NYJ.

CLE was a disaster. Not sure how much of that was him though. The ownership situation was a mess. Holmgren comes in. Bad quarterbacks....

For Mangini to succeed, he needs strong ownership and a strong FO and needs to dial down on the hard ass persona.

Oakland is not the right place for him...

Eric Mangini has talent. Belichick saw it and hired him. But Eric burned his bridges with BB when he jumped to HC of the detested JESTers.

Nevertheless he is probably the best HC that the Jesters have had save for Weeb Eubank. Despite the internal Chaos and backbiting and the merciless NY Mediots, he did build a talent laden and Playoff caliber team.

Eventually the long knives gathered on him. But he does know where the bodies are buried, and who to bury, given a second chance in the Miasma that is the Jet organization.

If Woody had half a brain he would bring back Eric and give him enough authority to re-organize the entire organization from GM, to Scouting and business Operations.

He would be better than any coaching dreggs that Woody might entice to interview for that sentence of a job.

But then they don't call him Woody for nothing...

The Jags have fired their OC.

Eric Mangini has talent. Belichick saw it and hired him. But Eric burned his bridges with BB when he jumped to HC of the detested JESTers.

Going to the Jets wasn't the killer. Trying to get 1/2 of BB's staff to join him in NY behind BB's back was completely disrespectful.

Nevertheless he is probably the best HC that the Jesters have had save for Weeb Eubank.

Duane Charles Parcells is a slight knotch above Mangini.

Despite the internal Chaos and backbiting and the merciless NY Mediots, he did build a talent laden and Playoff caliber team.

Absolutely.

Eventually the long knives gathered on him. But he does know where the bodies are buried, and who to bury, given a second chance in the Miasma that is the Jet organization.

If Woody had half a brain he would bring back Eric and give him enough authority to re-organize the entire organization from GM, to Scouting and business Operations.

He would be better than any coaching dreggs that Woody might entice to interview for that sentence of a job.

While having the potential to be a good coach, Mangini has not proven himself to be administratively capable to deserve that level of organizational authority.

Going to the Jets wasn't the killer. Trying to get 1/2 of BB's staff to join him in NY behind BB's back was completely disrespectful.

Duane Charles Parcells is a slight knotch above Mangini.

Absolutely.

While having the potential to be a good coach, Mangini has not proven himself to be administratively capable to deserve that level of organizational authority.

But the JESTers will never improve until a new broom pushed by a knowing brain, sweeps the entire organization clean.

Kraft had it right . Hire a CEO for the business, who is also a talented Head Coach; and let him select all the other power bases and make them beholden to him.

But the JESTers will never improve until a new broom pushed by a knowing brain, sweeps the entire organization clean.
I agree. Mangini is not that guy.

Kraft had it right . Hire a CEO for the business, who is also a talented Head Coach; and let him select all the other power bases and make them beholden to him.

There are only a handful of coaches that potentially meet that qualification. McCarthy (not sure on personnel side), the Harbaugh boys (I think both are terrific), Carroll, Reid (meh), Payton (his shine has taken a hit) and maybe Coughlin (age) and Kelly (needs a QB).

I agree. Mangini is not that guy.

There are only a handful of coaches that potentially meet that qualification. McCarthy (not sure on personnel side), the Harbaugh boys (I think both are terrific), Carroll, Reid (meh), Payton (his shine has taken a hit) and maybe Coughlin (age) and Kelly (needs a QB).

Not one of which would deign to interview with the Jest. . The Steeler Coach, Crowder declined to interview and said in the ultimate putdown, "I seek an Opportunity not a Sentence". Mangini may not be the established guy, but he is the best that they have the realistic chance to acquire.

Not one of which would deign to interview with the Jest. . The Steeler Coach, Crowder declined to interview and said in the ultimate putdown, "I seek an Opportunity not a Sentence". Mangini may not be the established guy, but he is the best that they have the realistic chance to acquire.

Yep or go after a couple of the guys I had mentioned (McCarthy?) and make them Football PooBah.

LOL on Cowher's comments. That franchise is such a joke.

@JasonLaCanfora: Reported on Sunday Rex Ryan was very intrigued by the possibility of coaching the Falcons. They will be interviewing him for their vacancy

Nevertheless he is probably the best HC that the Jesters have had save for Weeb Eubank. Despite the internal Chaos and backbiting and the merciless NY Mediots, he did build a talent laden and Playoff caliber team.

AZ, putting aside the ifs and buts conversation as well as the opinion he is talented, the tangible metric for a HC is wins, playoff appearances, proper trend. Mangini's 5 seasons (as I recall): one successful, one not too far away from successful yet unsuccessful, three unsuccessful. Considering the metric, I don't think Mangini is a success likely to happen. I mean what does it say when a HC fails the first time, has a second opportunity to select a team/situation to make a success of it and this is also a failure? What does it say when this HC's track record trends almost completely downward?

IMHO the members of the BB tree have a problem; there is only one BB (and probably very very few like him anywhere). The members of the tree observed and absorbed a HC method that suits very few men of the modern NFL HC profession. BB combines freakishly stoic/consistency in philosophy & application of the philosophy, a platinum 'old school' pedigree, and a track record that gave him the gravitas with his staff and team. The tree members probably cannot replicate it -- even though that is what they absorbed -- because the plan requires that rare person like BB.
My hunch is Pete Carroll's tree will have greater success. It's a more modern philosophy that can yield results among a greater pool of aspiring HCs (though it won't, IMHO, have sustained success - it's destined to have only bursts of success).

Just my theory/opinion....:)

@JasonLaCanfora: Reported on Sunday Rex Ryan was very intrigued by the possibility of coaching the Falcons. They will be interviewing him for their vacancy
Rex takes the Atlanta job and brings Michael Vick back to his original team.

Things seem to be settling out a little on the coaching carousel:

- Rex Ryan to the Bills. Greg Roman as OC, Dennis Thurman as DC. Jim Schwartz out.
- Todd Bowles to the Jets. Chan Gailey reportedly to be named the OC. **** LeBeau rumored to be hooking up with Bruce Arians in Arizona to help fill the void left by Bowles' departure.
- Jack Del Rio rumored to be announced today as the new Raiders HC.
- Adam Gase reported to be the heavy frontrunner in SF.
- Dan Quinn reported to be the heavy frontrunner in Atlanta, though they can't interview him yet. Detroit DC Teryl Austin seems like the backup option right now.
- Chicago reportedly looking for an experienced HC after hiring a young GM. John Fox interviewing today. Doug Marrone could be an option.
- Denver a relative unknown. Gary Kubiak has been rumored despite his earlier statement that he was staying in Baltimore as the OC. Peyton Manning will probably pick the HC, with John Elway getting some input on the decision, too. :D

It's amazing how every year teams mostly pick these retread coaches that we all know will be gone in a few years.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back