PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Black Monday and the NFL Coaching Carousel

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
On the NBC pregame show they are saying that Jim Harbaugh is officially gone from San Francisco, though I haven't seen any official announcement yet.

Others that are pretty much guaranteed to be fired within the next 24 hours:

Rex Ryan, Jets

Marc Trestman, Bears

Mike Smith, Falcons

Tony Sporano, Raiders (interim coach)

Others that have a good chance of being fired:

Joe Philbin, Dolphins

Jay Gruden, Redskins

Tom Coughlin, Giants

Gus Bradley, Jaguars

I'm guessing Ken Whisenhunt (Titans) and Lovie Smith (Bucs) don't get fired yet, as they are in the first year of their contract.

Anybody that I missed?

Regis Philbin is staying in MIA.

Mike Smith will sleep with the fishes.

Trestman will get caught in the revolving door.

Ryan will be on the Causeway

I suspect Sporano will get canned but not as sure.

Would be surprised if Rex took any of the coaching vacancies this year (or if anyone wanted him that badly to fill them) vs taking a job as a mediot for ESPN. I'm sure they can't wait to get him on there yelling alongside Herm and the gang.

Gus Bradley had to do a total rebuild, and the offense he has in Jacksonville are ALL 1st or 2nd year players. They went from totally pathetic last season to mildly competent this season. I think he holds his position and they allow him to continue to progress.

Coughlin will likely "retire", not get fired.

Trestman most certainly out along with Rex.

When is the last time both New York jobs were available in the same offseason? Along with the Bears opening, there are some really high profile jobs that opened up.

Have to wonder about Sean Payton, and what happened in New Orleans this season.

Have to wonder about Sean Payton, and what happened in New Orleans this season.
Yea. They had some injuries this year but were very undisciplined. Not sure what to make of it.

Yea. They had some injuries this year but were very undisciplined. Not sure what to make of it.
I would be shocked if Payton went anywhere. He's got pretty free reign it seems like. Winning that SB allows him a couple of down years I think.

I would be shocked if Payton went anywhere. He's got pretty free reign it seems like. Winning that SB allows him a couple of down years I think.

Coughlin won two and it seems people want to put him on the chopping block nearly every year.

(BTW He isn't going anywhere)

Coughlin won two and it seems people want to put him on the chopping block nearly every year.

Yeah but I feel like NY is an extremely different situation from NO. Win the public favor in New Orleans and they love you for a long time. Win it in NY and they love you til the next season.

I would love to see Rex in Chicago next season.

He and cutler. A custom match made in heaven that is also worthy of the jerry springer show!!!!!

I would love to see Rex in Chicago next season.

He and cutler. A custom match made in heaven that is also worthy of the jerry springer show!!!!!

Rexs pappy won a Super Bowl there.

Jets fans would jumping out of windows if Rex won the big one there too.

I'd love to see Coughlin stay as long as he wants to be there - he's a good coach and the NFL is better with him in it

But regardless of his Super Bowl wins, if you lose your players you lose your players - and if that's the case it's time for a change

Wrecks Ryan on the other hand, as much as I enjoy the comic relief his bafoonery approach to head coaching provides, is BAD for the NFL

The last thing any football fan should want is to see him in such a position.

I can see it now - a bad team with a high draft pick takes him as head coach - they pick a young QB with the potential to improve an NFL that badly needs a new good generation of QBs

What does Wrecks do? He probably takes that fragile QB, promptly guarantees he'll win a Super Bowl. When the pressure of that guarantee gets to the young QB with confidence issues, Rex will do the same thing the following year... then he'll further destroy the young QB's confidence by bringing in veteran QBs, flirting with Peyton Manning or Tim Tebow, and we'll have another butt-fumble.

And then, to shore up that QB's confidence he'll advocate for a $20 million extention

Head coaches like that are bad for their team, bad for young QBs (and other developmental players) and just bad for anyone who wants to see quality throughout the NFL

Yeah but I feel like NY is an extremely different situation from NO. Win the public favor in New Orleans and they love you for a long time. Win it in NY and they love you til the next season.

Giants have a strong ownership group. They don't bow to public opinion like Woody and Co.

Giants have a strong ownership group. They don't bow to public opinion like Woody and Co.
Yeah they do, this is true. I wasn't trying to say that the public determines the coaches... I'm not sure how to articulate what I mean. I just was trying to say that you probably have more leeway in New Orleans than you may have as HC of the NYG.

Would be surprised if Rex took any of the coaching vacancies this year (or if anyone wanted him that badly to fill them) vs taking a job as a mediot for ESPN. I'm sure they can't wait to get him on there yelling alongside Herm and the gang.

He's an absolute natural for the silly drivel they like to push. That's not a knock on him either, he's a natural entertainer.

I'd love to see Coughlin stay as long as he wants to be there - he's a good coach and the NFL is better with him in it

But regardless of his Super Bowl wins, if you lose your players you lose your players - and if that's the case it's time for a change

Wrecks Ryan on the other hand, as much as I enjoy the comic relief his bafoonery approach to head coaching provides, is BAD for the NFL

The last thing any football fan should want is to see him in such a position.

I can see it now - a bad team with a high draft pick takes him as head coach - they pick a young QB with the potential to improve an NFL that badly needs a new good generation of QBs

What does Wrecks do? He probably takes that fragile QB, promptly guarantees he'll win a Super Bowl. When the pressure of that guarantee gets to the young QB with confidence issues, Rex will do the same thing the following year... then he'll further destroy the young QB's confidence by bringing in veteran QBs, flirting with Peyton Manning or Tim Tebow, and we'll have another butt-fumble.

And then, to shore up that QB's confidence he'll advocate for a $20 million extention

Head coaches like that are bad for their team, bad for young QBs (and other developmental players) and just bad for anyone who wants to see quality throughout the NFL

Great post. I bet some of these crap teams with no QB are kicking themselves for not picking up Sanchez. I always though he had potential, but it's so easy to wreck a young QB. It must be tremendous pressure.

Coughlin will likely "retire", not get fired.
I still think he can get it done. Need some help on the defensive side of the ball and the o-line.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back