Welcome to PatsFans.com

Black enough?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

Not just the men themselves - but those around them, yes.

2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Then would you agree its something that has to go or are you more sympathetic and understanding of it than say Patters is?(though I'm not sure he thinks my post and PR's are as similar as you do).

3. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +665 / 13 / -28

in order to 'advance' in any situation, there is a certain amount of adherence that needs to be exercised in order for the one who is providing the opportunity for advancement to consider giving the advancement......now the reasoning can be legal or illegal, but whether it is someone who is black or white or anything, it is up to you whether you 'adhere' to more intangible aspects, or show up all gangsta or goth or 100's of piercings and hope that you advance on the merits of the quality of your work......I know that in a visible situation, the counter culture appearance is a turn off......if not by the boss, then quite possibly by the clients of the boss.

the appearance of professionalism in a professional career is important, and that includes how one looks.......if you wish to enforce your appearance of individuality, then you risk advancement

people don't have to like it, don't have to take the job and complain all they want.......or they can adhere to expectation

nothing to talk about.....it's always been this way......nobody's ever going to be forced to hire someone that looks like an idiot

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

I think any stereotypical thinking has to go. I don't think men need to look or act a certain way to be considered manly or women need to look or act a certain way to be considered womanly or blacks need to look or act a certain way to be considered black. It's counterproductive to developing as a person.

What I do understand, although I think it's a separate thing, is empathy. I understand a person adjusting (consciously or unconsciously) his/her attitude, speech patterns, body language, etc., when in the company of others. Many people do it instinctively - either to put themselves or to put others at ease. I know myself that my speech pattern and vocabulary change slightly depending on whose company I am in. I talk differently when I am with a bunch of firemen or EMS personnel than I do when I am at a poetry seminar. I also dress accordingly. It doesn't make someone any less themselvess to do so since all of us contain multiple people. We are fathers, mothers, business owners, students, siblings, children, co-workers, neighbors, bosses, employees, grandparents, aunts, uncles, old friends, new friends, enemies, etc.. to a whole host of people. None of them "know" the exact same person.

When I first moved to Virginia people pegged me as a midwesterner immediately due to speech patterns and regional dialect/accent. Now, not so much. Now the people back home think I sound "different." We assimilate - we pick up speech and dialect from those around us. Probably also dress and hair styles and other things, as well. Put me with a group of southerners and I'm all about the "yaa'lll." Stick me back in the midwest and within minutes I'm back to "you-uns." Ditto "soda" and "pop."

It's counterproductive if other people make you do it or expect you to do it to "prove" you're black/masculine/feminine/southern/northern etc.. But if you do it subconsciously or to put people at ease, there's probably some good to it, too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

good post.

6. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I think some of knew it but didn't let on you did for whatever reason...(I know how we google everything) but my original post was virtually a direct quote from our President just a few days ago. Still it was entertaining to see the responses range from agreement, to acceptance and understanding of it, to blaming it on whites being critical of black culture, to denying that it even exists(acting white or not black enough).....oh yeah to even questioning a whites gall of discussing the subject at all. The President's audience was filled with all races so unless he had non blacks wear ear plugs I think we can all feel okay about joining in the discussion, sorry Darryl.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/07/21/remarks-president-my-brothers-keeper-town-hall

And I think that one of the things -- this is true not just for Native Americans, but it’s also true for African Americans. Sometimes African Americans, in communities where I’ve worked, there’s been the notion of “acting white” -- which sometimes is overstated, but there’s an element of truth to it, where, okay, if boys are reading too much, then, well, why are you doing that? Or why are you speaking so properly? And the notion that there’s some authentic way of being black, that if you’re going to be black you have to act a certain way and wear a certain kind of clothes, that has to go. (Applause.) Because there are a whole bunch of different ways for African American men to be authentic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. SalemPats

SalemPats 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +237 / 30 / -18

No Jersey Selected

You can say that about every group. That's why stereotyping a group is wrong.

8. Bobsyouruncle

Bobsyouruncle Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +327 / 4 / -3

I didn't know he said this, but I'm glad he did. He's not the only one that's been saying it though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Does that mean its wrong to assume that I'm likely a racist or bigot(at very least in the passive sense) because I'm not very liberal? Whew!:)
    .....Of course that's true about every group but Obama was sending a specific message. He even felt strong enough about it to divert from just talking about native Americans to talk about blacks to make the point.

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Besides, who cares if it is "similar"...Its not like we're going to combine the threads.

Dare I say MrsP is obviously not happy with this thread's content? If so, too bad!

It's actually a GREAT topic.

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

As usual, you've missed the point entirely.

Why would you say that? Where have I given any inclination that I didn't like this thread or it's content?

Really? Where? I gave a detailed, thorough and thought-out response. If you can find a place where I even suggested that the topic was a bad one or one I disliked, please, by all means, point it out....otherwise I'll just assume you're obsessing again.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +820 / 2 / -9

Where does a person get the idea that goes with the stereotype
    ???????????

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Ok, I misunderstood your point and I was wrong.

Carry on....