Welcome to PatsFans.com

Black enough?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jul 22, 2014.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

What's with the notion that there is some authentic way of being black?...that if you're going to be black you're going to act a certain way and wear a certain kind of clothes? That has to go.

2. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

bumping for discussion. Doesn't anyone agree with this?

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,972 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/21/us-usa-obama-race-idUSKBN0FQ22V20140721

Young kids need more intelligent minority mentors ... Obama has the right idea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/21/e...rs-keeper-education-program-expands.html?_r=0

4. Bobsyouruncle

Bobsyouruncle 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +545 / 9 / -4

Yes, I agree

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 26 / -33

Always find a discussion by a bunch of white guys on what it means to be black interesting:rolleyes::rolleyes:...

6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

First of all, you have to establish the fact that such a notion exists. Got any links or is this just your opinion.

If you live in America, there's only one way to be....just be yourself.

7. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,471 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I'm kinda with Darryl here; seems strange for me, some white dude, to be talking about how black people should behave. In that way, I'm with PR too...just be yourself.

At the end of the day, we all conform to some kind of societal norm.

8. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Do you think that it doesn't exist.....at least to a large enough degree that its worthy of discussion? ....That black people need to get a lecture on it? Should they feel bad about acting white? I think Jesse Jackson criticized Obama for acting white. Here's some more links:

http://www.blackvisions.org/Boards/index.php?topic=31125.5;wap2

http://therumpus.net/2014/01/am-i-black-enough-for-you/

http://www.gurl.com/2013/08/26/being-weird-and-black-doesnt-mean-im-acting-white/

http://vveasey.hubpages.com/hub/Whats-A-Real-Black-Person-And-How-Black-Is-Black-Enough

So actually PR, it is opinion shared by many people

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +446 / 11 / -14

What he is alluding to is exemplified by white liberals for example being condescending towards black people who are libertarian or conservative. We have seen the horrible treatment given towards black people or women who don't assume the victim status assigned to them by liberals.

10. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +152 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

I hope next time a black politician or pundit discusses white people I hope you will say the same thing. I highly doubt it.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,115 / 3 / -10

Bill Cosby tried to speak on it, the "White Slobberers" went insane, he was "Uncle Tommed" into silence, he caved in and hasn't been heard from since.
    Personal Feelings "who gives a shit"
    I have no further comment.

12. Bobsyouruncle

Ratings:
    +545 / 9 / -4

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2790541/posts

Sharptons on Herman Cain not being authentically black

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1397106/posts

Sowell wrote a book about it here

http://www.verumserum.com/?p=30390

Bashir says Cain not real black

Rob Parker about RGIII not black

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...ndi-rice-is-not-authentic-black-person-video/

Condo Rice not black

Bill Cosby has talked about it, Obama was accused if not being a real black. Anyone ever seen Chris Rock? His entire act is about it. ESPN documentaries about the fab 5, and the "U" talk about being real blacks. Grant Hill was accused of not being a real black.

But you guys never heard this stuff.

You're FOS

13. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm talking about black people being critical of other black people for not being black enough...that they have to act or dress a certain way in order to be black. Do you think that's something productive or do you think its counterproductive? And if you think its counterproductive wouldn't you also think it would be better for the "critics" to rethink their agendas?

14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

I think within any group, there are those who struggle to hold onto their identities and culture, and those who want to assimilate. You certainly have that among Jews. You also have it among immigrants, where families commonly battle the old ways vs. the new ways, you have it even among men and women where some want to embrace old notions of gender roles. So, it's not just blacks, but all cultures, and in each culture there is a small group that wants to hold on to a a narrower idea of their identify.

But I wonder if what you're talking about is simply youth culture that regardless of race is often catered to by their adult idols (musicians, actors, athletes, etc.). Young people often want to conform to their peers, and if they live in a largely white or black area, they conform accordingly. In that context as far as not being black enough, that's really a response to white culture that disparages black music, black style, black language, black leaders, and so on. If a lot of black people were critical of your culture, my guess is it would drive you more into your culture, rather than towards being more black.

15. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Do you think these people(blacks) struggling to hold onto their "identities and culture" should be told to to stop thinking that way...to stop felling they have to act or dress a certain way to really be black? Are people like Bill Cosby that feel that way simply out of touch or are bigots of sorts? And what's more out of place, acting black enough out of some sense of "duty" or being critical of blacks not acting black enough for their liking?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  16. Bobsyouruncle

Ratings:
    +545 / 9 / -4

No Patters, the culture, including whites celebrate black music, style, language far more than they denigrate it. The more specific issue is the idea that ghetto's, crime, poor language and promiscuity is "black", and embracing education, or speaking without a supposedly black dialect is considered "white" or acting white. Anyone remember how Clinton's affairs made him the first "black" president? Don't you think celebrating poor behavior as a marker some sort of cultural authenticity is a bad idea?

The fact that these authentically black notions embraced by many people are self destructive behaviors, while behaviors that lead to success are acting "white" is a big freaking problem. If you are essentially telling people that getting educated is selling out or being an Uncle Tom then that's not a real good way to encourage people to become successful in life. And whites are obviously a huge part if the problem. While whites easily call similar behaviors out among other whites as "redneck", "back woods", and "hillbilly." When blacks act the same, if anyone calls them out for being proudly uneducated then they're called a racist.

I'd add that it's a complete fallacy because the only "black" culture in the world like the one we see promoted in America is a distinctly American phenomenon. Blacks from other countries would not recognize such a culture as "black".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

How is this any different than PR's thread about men not being "masculine" enough?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../threads/please-say-it-isnt-true-men.1110897/

18. Bobsyouruncle

Ratings:
    +545 / 9 / -4

It's the complete opposite. PR was arguing that some behaviors are representative of "masculine", others argue that's stereotyping certain behaviors that both genders may share.

Here, patswsb is arguing that some behaviors are considered distinctly black or stereotypically black and that should not be the case.

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I grew up around this. My best friend growing up would have his balls broken all the time. I think "being black" the way some put forth (fulfilling the black stereotype if you will), is to their own detriment. Just be yourself, and not what someone else thinks you should be.

20. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey