PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BJGE to have more opportunities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How has he improved? Improved so much that they reduced his carries to one-third of their former total last season? BJGE carries the ball in preseason, garbage time, and when the #1-#4 RBs are injured. That's it.

And saying that he runs harder than someone who broke his shoulder running through guys is... eh, let's just go with pointless. It's pretty pointless.
I say he improved because he was much more versatile last year. As I've pointed out already, he played a lot of fullback, a new position for him, in 2009. He was also used occasionally as a receiver out of the backfield. And he looked better in the 2009 preseason than he did in the 2008 preseason.

I think Maroney's improvement early last year has a lot to do with BJ's drop in carries.

Against Buffalo.
So you're really going to use an appeal to authority in the same post where you call out Bill Belichick for not knowing which running back to play? I'll see your Bruschi/Brown and raise you a Belichick. And btw, neither Bruschi nor Brown said that they prefer BJGE to Maroney.

Everyone I talk to agrees BB has failed to improve two positions that have needed help for a couple years, those two are OLB and RB.

Everyone I talk to agrees BB has failed to improve two positions that have needed help for a couple years, those two are OLB and RB.

"Everyone you talk to" isn't nearly the trump card that you seem to think it is.

And considering that the Pats run the ball effectively by almost every measure, I'm going to go ahead and disagree. The workhorse RB is obsolete, and the Pats have assembled an effective committee. I would like a young, mid-round pick to round out the crew and replace one of the old guys, but what we have now is good enough.

Last edited:

I never said Maroney was a lead RB. He is a good RB for a RB by committee approach. The problem is two parts of the committee were injured last year and BJGE wasn't good enough to step up.

"Everyone you talk to" isn't the trump card that you seem to think it is.

Sorry the majority of the fanbase thinks Maroney is a piece of junk. I guess your insulting my local pub now. :D

Stop by at Emma's in Bridgewater sometime. Will be waiting for ya.

And the reason why he got a chance, and stayed on the team, is because when he got his chance he demonstrated that he was a very good quarterback

And when he was given a chance with the dolphins, he played really well and showed that he was a starter-caliber WR.

Yes and the only chance in which BenJarvus Green-Ellis received was the game against the Buffalo Bills in which he ran for 119 yards. BJGE hasn't been given the chance of Brady or Welker and he's been making the best out of every little opportunity out of it. I don't see why you're trying to bring him down by saying things like he can't get it done in situations. I also don't know why a nice 119 yard rushing game (as well as winning RoW) doesn't impress you. Both Brady and Welker got more chances than BJGE, once Green-Ellis starts more than one game than your argument can finally be relevant.

No, he got so many chances because he was a Raider. He wouldn't have made it through training camp for the Pats, even if for the sake of argument they drafted/signed him (which they never would).

Look at Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, and Alex Smith for example. It's not because he was a Raider, it's the hype of the being the 1st overall pick.

Last edited:

Yeah, everyone I talk to say I am bright and attractive. So that proves you shouldn't listen to everything people tell you.

Sorry the majority of the fanbase thinks Maroney is a piece of junk. I guess your insulting my local pub now. :D

Where is your proof that a majority of the fan base thinks Maroney is junk. It seems pretty evenly divided. Besides, only Belichick and his staff's opinion matters. A "majority" of the fanbase called to put in Michael Bishop over Drew Bledsoe too in the 1990s.

I've been to Emma's. As was noted earlier:

TapDancing39
This message is hidden because TapDancing39 is on your ignore list.

There's one I haven't seen in a while... does this guy have a sixth sense for knowing when someone, somewhere is claiming that Maroney doesn't suck? First post in 3 months, and naturally it's a timely jab at the guy that he was named for hating.

Or is it a sock puppet for one of the Maroney bashers on his thread? ...

Last edited:

See the thing is that we threw the ball for more yards last season than all but two teams yet we finished 12th in rushing yards. The two teams ahead of the Patriots in passing were behind them in rushing yards.

It doesn't need to be fixed, the Patriots are a passing team first and running team second.

oh no, TapDancing39.. my sock puppet!!! BACK TO THE BATMOBILE THEYRE ONTO US!!!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
He's a different person........

This thread (and this board, actually) certainly doesn't reflect that. We all agree that he hasn't lived up to his draft billing, but he's still a serviceable NFL player. He's started on a lot of good Patriots teams, so Belichick obviously doesn't think he's junk. Half-decent, at the very least.

That's a reasonable perspective- it seemed that you were lumping yourself in with the BJGE > Maroney crowd when you claimed that he runs harder, but apparently not. Instead, I'll grant that 'running hard' is a fairly subjective term, and just leave it at that.
I don't think he's better than Maroney at all. By "run harder," I just mean he's more decisive than LM when picking his hole, though LM made strides with that in 2009. BJ runs with a determination and mental toughness that I feel Maroney lacks at times.

They are actually very similar players in terms of build and style, with Maroney IMO clearly being more talented. If we could attach BJ's head to Maroney's body, I feel like we'd have a legit #1 threat at RB.

It would not surprise me to see BJGE on this team long after sLoMo is gone. I think someone put it well, Maroney is ok as a lead back in a RB by committee system. Hardly a ringing endorsement for a former first round draft pick.

Just to clear this up BradyFTW, Deus, Rob, just because we don't agree on one topic of the pats (WTF is this politics?) I respect your views on the team as a whole. No personal hate, right? :)

Why did you ignore someone for disagreeing? :confused:

Just to clear this up BradyFTW, Deus, Rob, just because we don't agree on one topic of the pats (WTF is this politics?) I respect your views on the team as a whole. No personal hate, right? :)

I apologize if I get snippy in arguments, but I don't usually take it personally. I got no beef with you.

It could be one of several reasons.

I apologize if I get snippy in arguments, but I don't usually take it personally. I got no beef with you.

Good. We all seem to forget we are rooting for the same team sometimes.

I still get the feeling Deus and BradyFTW! want to put me in a SAW movie trap.

Good. We all seem to forget we are rooting for the same team sometimes.

I still get the feeling Deus and BradyFTW! want to put me in a SAW movie trap.

Hahaha no, definitely not. Pretty much all Pats fans are okay in my book- that's what these forums are for. I get a little exasperated with the BJGE/Maroney debate, but only because it's the same stuff dragged up periodically for 2 years, over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots