PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BJGE over Morris/Taylor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reasons why Benjarvus would be carrying a football:
1. We have a big lead and are milking the clock.
2. He is healthy, while other RBs are on the shelf.
3. Goalline situation if the oline is blocking well.
4. It's a pre-season game.

Benjarvus is useful as a lead blocker and other bottom of roster duties that I'm unaware of. All of our other backs are better than he is. If we really need a back we can sign Ladell Betts. Shannahan cut him a couple months ago. I doubt we can do better.

Well, it would help to see BJGE rush more than a few times a year.

It's hard to get a read on someone with only 30 carries or so.

Really?!? It is pretty easy to read that he isn't very good based on the fact the Patriots don't give him chances to play even when the RB corp is depleted. Belichick isn't in the habit of hiding players with a lot of talent because he wants to use them in subsequent years.

Really?!? It is pretty easy to read that he isn't very good based on the fact the Patriots don't give him chances to play even when the RB corp is depleted. Belichick isn't in the habit of hiding players with a lot of talent because he wants to use them in subsequent years.

Well, if he's as brilliant as you claim...

Why is he still on the roster when apparently there's plenty of better backs out there according to you?

Rob0729 says it best - 'if he was as good as some on this board regard him to be, he'd be getting alot more carries when the other RB's are out'

I have an inkling that alot of his popularity is due to the perception that he is the antithesis of Maroney - he ploughs straight ahead - which basically makes him the second coming of Corey Dillon, no?

I think he's definitely on the bubble - Pascahall will challenge him for a roster spot.

BJGE best value lies as a lead blocker - he can be devastating in this role because he has decent RB instincts and doesn't mind putting his body on the line.

pick 2 of 3

would you rather have the proven vets which are old and injury prone or would rather have the new guy who hasnt proven anything?

i would go with BJGE, lets finally see if hes worth a spot, we dont need BOTH of morris and taylor, pick one

I would let training camp, and the preseason games work this out. Law Firm didn't exactly light the world on fire in his limited play last year. Just sayin'........

I agree with this statement completely.

pick 2 of 3

would you rather have the proven vets which are old and injury prone or would rather have the new guy who hasnt proven anything?

i would go with BJGE, lets finally see if hes worth a spot, we dont need BOTH of morris and taylor, pick one
I think BJGE has done a great job when he has had his opps....at least similar to what maroney gives us. In fairness to the guy he has rarely gotten the # of reps necessary to get a rhythm going. Obviously BB has never thought of him as feature RB potential.....but the kid must be pretty damned sharp or he would not have lasted this long. But back to your question.....I. would think Taylor and morris are close to being done....so BJGE'S chances of hanging around are good.....unless pats get a shot at a marshawn lynch or another FA......BB is not going to go into season with maroney (questionable and always getting hurt), morris and Taylor (constantly injured and running out of gas).....and then Faulk who is getting older and will be situational.....and a bunch of question marks after that....I think they will bring in another FA and cut Taylor, morris or both.....

Can we all agree though if BJGE is kept over Morris or Taylor it's not like its a big deal. If I had to rate our RB corps on a scale of 1-10.

Maroney-7.5
Morris-7
Taylor-7
BJGE-5
Faulk-4 (a 9 as a 3rd down back, he never runs the football except for draws).

A change could be good. It's a pile of average/old at the position.

Well, if he's as brilliant as you claim...

Why is he still on the roster when apparently there's plenty of better backs out there according to you?

Usually when you are fifth on the depth chart at any positon, there are plenty of players out there that are better than you. If BJGE was that good and the Pats couldn't give him a position any higher than 5th, the Pats would have trade him.

BJGE did find a role last year as a situational blocker. Like many players at the bottom of the roster, he could contribute as a role player but has little chance of being an impact player.

If you ranked every player on the Patriots' roster last year from Brady to the worst player, BJGE probably would have been in the mid to high 40s in rank.

I think BJGE has done a great job when he has had his opps....at least similar to what maroney gives us. In fairness to the guy he has rarely gotten the # of reps necessary to get a rhythm going. Obviously BB has never thought of him as feature RB potential.....but the kid must be pretty damned sharp or he would not have lasted this long. But back to your question.....I. would think Taylor and morris are close to being done....so BJGE'S chances of hanging around are good.....unless pats get a shot at a marshawn lynch or another FA......BB is not going to go into season with maroney (questionable and always getting hurt), morris and Taylor (constantly injured and running out of gas).....and then Faulk who is getting older and will be situational.....and a bunch of question marks after that....I think they will bring in another FA and cut Taylor, morris or both.....

Yes, BJGE is as good as Maroney. This is ridiculous!

If Belichick was really worried about Maroney, Morris, and Taylor; he would have drafted a RB high or gone after a RB in free agency or a trade. I'm sure if he really needed someone, he would have Kraft call his good buddy Jerry Jones and try to trade for Marion Barber.

The fact that we neither drafted Deji Karim nor scooped up Joique Bell still makes me want to STAB someone.

So, in your opinion, every team that passed on Deji Karim 5 times and Joique Bell 7 times is just stupid and makes you want to stab someone??

You clearly have a few screws loose..

It should be pretty clear that every team didn't think very highly of Karim or Bell. That should tell you something.

Can I choose None of the Above, please?

B-J-G-E = J-A-G. The only way he deserves to be considered for the final 53 is if his blocking greatly improves during TC; he could then make Sometimes Sammy* expendable.
Morris has better vision/instincts than the Firm, but not the explosion or breakaway speed (due mostly to the diff. in ages, rather than the diff. in natural ability).
Fragile Fred* has better vision/instincts than the others, and better explosion/breakaway speed than Morris, but does not block whatsoever and does not play STs...and missed over half the season.

3 RBs, 3 major flaws which, on a team that actually cared about its running game (because it plays outdoors in the Northeast), would spell d-o-o-m for their chance of making the final 53. But this is the Indianapolis Patriots/New England Colts, starring Tom Terrific & the Randy Ratio, so let's just keep all 3 of the bums.

* - nicknames courtesy of Mike the Brit

I think BJGE has a little bit of the Michael Bishop syndrom going on. He is the back up to a guy/guys who the fan base as whole is not happy with so the back up looks good. I would give BJGE a little more credit for deserving a spot on the 53 than Bishop but I don't think we are looking at a serious talent in BJGE that would justify cutting productive players who we are scared could get hurt.

Of the 3
Best RB: Taylor
Best FB: Morris

BGJE will probably take over Morris's position next year, but he's not ready to take on FB duties yet.

So, in your opinion, every team that passed on Deji Karim 5 times and Joique Bell 7 times is just stupid and makes you want to stab someone??

You clearly have a few screws loose..

Did I SAY "every team", genius? :rolleyes:

It should be obvious that very few teams in the league have the complete and utter dearth of youth, explosiveness, and play making potential at RB that we continue to suffer needlessly from.

It should also be incredibly obvious that I was joking about wanting to stab somebody: Just a little hyperbole, there, bub. I really shouldn't have to explain that to you.

no, BJGE is a question mark...i cannot agree with those who are saying we have seen his ceiling, we havnt, we havnt had the chance

Some players ceiling is just being able to make a squad and I think given the health of our backs last year and the lack of play time despite this should be a strong indication his ceiling likely has been reached or at least been reached as it pertains to our system maybe someone else system could use him better but I doubt he all of the sudden becomes the starter or even a contributing member of commitee on this team.

Can I choose None of the Above, please?

B-J-G-E = J-A-G. The only way he deserves to be considered for the final 53 is if his blocking greatly improves during TC; he could then make Sometimes Sammy* expendable.
Morris has better vision/instincts than the Firm, but not the explosion or breakaway speed (due mostly to the diff. in ages, rather than the diff. in natural ability).
Fragile Fred* has better vision/instincts than the others, and better explosion/breakaway speed than Morris, but does not block whatsoever and does not play STs...and missed over half the season.

3 RBs, 3 major flaws which, on a team that actually cared about its running game (because it plays outdoors in the Northeast), would spell d-o-o-m for their chance of making the final 53. But this is the Indianapolis Patriots/New England Colts, starring Tom Terrific & the Randy Ratio, so let's just keep all 3 of the bums.

* - nicknames courtesy of Mike the Brit

JAG stands for "just another guy". At this point in their careers, are you really saying that Morris and Taylor are really any more than that? Neither are locks for the roster, and neither are locks to be in the NFL this season. For that matter is Maroney more that just another guy? I see the RB position on the whole as a great 3rd down back in Faulk and "just a bunch of guys".

If you took any two out of the four non-Faulk RBs, and gave those two the first and second down carries, would it make even one win or loss difference on the schedule? I think not.

Last edited:
JAG stands for "just another guy". At this point in their careers, are you really saying that Morris and Taylor are really any more than that? Neither are locks for the roster, and neither are locks to be in the NFL this season. For that matter is Maroney more that just another guy? I see the RB position on the whole as a great 3rd down back in Faulk and "just a bunch of guys".

If you took any two out of the four non-Faulk RBs, and gave those two the first and second down carries, would it make even one win or loss difference on the schedule? I think not.

JAG is a term on this board that gets completely misused. To me just an average guy would refer to someone like say Sanders who is a smart boderline starter who no one is confusing for a potential probowler but also is worthy of a role. But on this board JAG seems to refer to guys who either don't belong on the 53 or to guys who just barely made it.

Can we all agree though if BJGE is kept over Morris or Taylor it's not like its a big deal. If I had to rate our RB corps on a scale of 1-10.

Maroney-7.5
Morris-7
Taylor-7
BJGE-5
Faulk-4 (a 9 as a 3rd down back, he never runs the football except for draws).

A change could be good. It's a pile of average/old at the position.

I couldn't disagree more. Faulk has proven on many occasions in his career that he is a very capable back. It's just his body can't handle the abuse it would get if her were used as a feature back. He's just too small but the physical and mental ability is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes