PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BJGE - if he walks, how confident are we in Ridley and Vereen at RB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bedard tweets that a third team has started contract talk with BJGE.

BJGE easily the best Patriots running back since Corey Dillion. Is anyone since Dillon even close to BJGE ?

BJGE had a worse season last year than the leading RB had in any season since Dillon left.
Do you seriously think you see starting RB skills in BJGE? Why are none of the other 31 teams interested?

As soon as that report came out that they led the NFL with cap space at 50 million this yr, I thought 'there's no way they even spend 1/2 of that.'

Mike Brown is going to spend about 20-25 of that IMO. As a small market owner who is known for being pretty cheap, he is saving up for being forced to spend to the 89% next yr. He probably figures he can get one last yr of additional revenue/profit in before the cap floor in 2013.

That all said, damn..they have to sign someone. I think they've had 11 players in for FA visits, and didn't sign 1 yet.

Doesn't the requirement of spening 90-some% of the cap start in 2013?
I think Brown will be underpaying this year to save up for next year.
If he wants to be at 110 mill or 10 mill under, if he spends 100 mill this year and saves the 10, he can spend 120 next year.

BJGE had a worse season last year than the leading RB had in any season since Dillon left.
Do you seriously think you see starting RB skills in BJGE? Why are none of the other 31 teams interested?

Cincy and one other unnamed team are interested in BJGE. That's more interest than most FA RBs are generating.

Maroney was better when healthy, particularly in 2006-2007. Taylor was better when healthy. Faulk was better, but was a 3rd down back. Woodhead is better, but plays a different role.

Sammy Morris was better in 2008

Cincy and one other unnamed team are interested in BJGE. That's more interest than most FA RBs are generating.

Its 5 days in and the best he has is 'showing interest'. Of course teams will show interest at some point in all players, but I'm talking about as a #1 RB, which we have nothing showing any team considers him that.

And that 'interest' has led to reports he is back to considering the Pats lowball offer. If teams considered him #1 RB material he wouldn't be back talking to the Pats after 5 days of testing the market, he'd be weighing all the great offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Patriots actually project Vereen as the #1 back next year. He's their most talented guy.

Its 5 days in and the best he has is 'showing interest'. Of course teams will show interest at some point in all players, but I'm talking about as a #1 RB, which we have nothing showing any team considers him that.

And that 'interest' has led to reports he is back to considering the Pats lowball offer. If teams considered him #1 RB material he wouldn't be back talking to the Pats after 5 days of testing the market, he'd be weighing all the great offers.

"Talking contracts" isn't "showing interest." Bedard tweets that contract talks have started between BJGE and the 3rd team.

They were all undependable and lacked durability.

Morris 2008 156-727-4.7-7
BJGE 2011 181-667-3.7-11

Are you really going to argue which is better?

"Talking contracts" isn't "showing interest." Bedard tweets that contract talks have started between BJGE and the 3rd team.

Isn't that semantics? How else do you show interest without talking about a contract? The real question though isnt whehter teams are interested but whether they are interest at #1RB level.

Hey, I know your affinity for BJGE and I really don't want to argue with a guy I almost always get along with over the one major disagreement we have, so maybe we should just let it play out, and we can see what the other teams think of him as.

Morris 2008 156-727-4.7-7
BJGE 2011 181-667-3.7-11

Are you really going to argue which is better?

Morris missed 3 games and started only 7 in 2008; the next year, he missed 4 and started only 5. That's not being dependable. That's not being there for your team.

Morris missed 3 games and started only 7 in 2008; the next year, he missed 4 and started only 5. That's not being dependable. That's not being there for your team.

The discussion wasn't 'being there for your team' the discussion was that BJGE in 2011 had the worst season of any lead RB since Dillon left.

BJGE only started 6 games, so I don't think your criticism of Morris starting 7 is fair.
The fact that he was out 3 and still outperformed BJGEs 2011 is telling too.

Are you disagreeing that Morris had a better season in 2008 than BJGE had in 2011?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that semantics? How else do you show interest without talking about a contract? The real question though isnt whehter teams are interested but whether they are interest at #1RB level.

Hey, I know your affinity for BJGE and I really don't want to argue with a guy I almost always get along with over the one major disagreement we have, so maybe we should just let it play out, and we can see what the other teams think of him as.

I do like the guy- he is a hard-nosed player, no-nonsense, and isn't a diva on the field or off of it.

Is he an elite RB? No, I've said that many times.

Is he a starter? I think he's best off in a RBBC.

However I do think he's a good fit for the Patriots- he doesn't lose the ball, doesn't make mistakes, and doesn't mouth off. I don't think he'll complain if his role becomes diminished.

There are plenty of free-agents that visit facilities without contract talks ever taking place. How many times have the Pats done their "due diligence" on players they never come to agreement with?

I do like the guy- he is a hard-nosed player, no-nonsense, and isn't a diva on the field or off of it.

Is he an elite RB? No, I've said that many times.

Is he a starter? I think he's best off in a RBBC.

However I do think he's a good fit for the Patriots- he doesn't lose the ball, doesn't make mistakes, and doesn't mouth off. I don't think he'll complain if his role becomes diminished.

There are plenty of free-agents that visit facilities without contract talks ever taking place. How many times have the Pats done their "due diligence" on players they never come to agreement with?

I just want to point out that much of your commentary here is about personality traits you have assigned to him, without being close enough to the situation to know whether they are correct. I'm not saying they aren't but I think that kind of illustrates you are reaching.
Remember when the best thing about Dave Meggett was his high character? We just don't have enough information to know if our perception of a players personality is correct.

The discussion wasn't 'being there for your team' the discussion was that BJGE in 2011 had the worst season of any lead RB since Dillon left.

BJGE only started 6 games, so I don't think your criticism of Morris starting 7 is fair.
The fact that he was out 3 and still outperformed BJGEs 2011 is telling too.

Are you disagreeing that Morris had a better season in 2008 than BJGE had in 2011?

That depends on what stats you define as being critical. Obviously Morris's YPC is better, but BJGE is far better in ball security and in TD's. Which factor would you rather have?

I just want to point out that much of your commentary here is about personality traits you have assigned to him, without being close enough to the situation to know whether they are correct. I'm not saying they aren't but I think that kind of illustrates you are reaching.

I haven't "assigned" these personality traits, I've seen them as has most of the posters on this board who know that he runs hard, isn't scared of contact and always goes for that extra yard. That's being a hard-nosed player to me.

And as for the rest.. maybe his thinking is different than what comes out of his mouth, but what comes out of his mouth hasn't been the least bit derogatory, according to the press, and that's just fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes