PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BJGE better than we thought:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it ridiculous that some posters are ready to christen a RB that has yet to play a down in the NFL. BJGE on the other hand is already a proven commodity.

And it's not just the NE line, because that line's been basically the same over the past 3 or 4 years give or take a lineman or two (Kaczur, Neal). Yet, 1000 yards and double digits TDs were not achieved in any of those seasons except by BJGE.

100% spot on. This will be BJ's second full season. I'm ecstatic about his stellar work ethic and to see him develop his game further.

The team went with a road grader at right tackle last season, in Vollmer, and the line was able to open up holes that it hadn't been opening for years. BJGE, while not being much of a runner, was able to take advantage of that by playing the same role that Antowain Smith did: get to the line, hope for a crease, hit the hole, ride up someone's ass if there's no hole to be found. That worked fairly well for him, although the team needs more, which is at least part of why Woodhead got so much playing time.

The new running backs may be the answer. They may be cut before the season begins. We just don't know, and we won't really know until the games count. It won't shock me, at all, to see Faulk return for one last season. I'd expect it, if it weren't for the numbers game at other positions (i.e. QB).

Last edited:
BJGE is okay, but as a power back, you want someone who delivers a little more of a blow. Ridley in that regard might work out. He kind of reminds me of Stephen Davis -- a 6', 225-230 pound all-SEC back who gets everything between the tackles and loves lowering his shoulder.

If you get a chance, watch him knock this guy 3-4 yards past the POA. It made the highlight of 'most memorable TD's of the yr' on the official Patriot website.

And as we can see by the play diagram, and as Deus points out, the run goes right off of RT (Vollmer). I saw many others go off RG too.

X’s and O’s: Green-Ellis’s First TD vs. the Lions, Week 12, 2010 « Musket Fire | A New England Patriots Blog

I find it ridiculous that some posters are ready to christen a RB that has yet to play a down in the NFL.

Yeah, I've never heard of Curtis Martin, either. :rolleyes:

BJGE on the other hand is already a proven commodity.

Now THAT...is RIDICULOUS.

Green is a proven SLUG.

And it's not just the NE line, because that line's been basically the same over the past 3 or 4 years give or take a lineman or two (Kaczur, Neal). Yet, 1000 yards and double digits TDs were not achieved in any of those seasons except by BJGE.

Ever heard of RBBC?? :rolleyes:

He only got the 1000 because we had almost nobody ELSE.

If you get a chance, watch him knock this guy 3-4 yards past the POA. It made the highlight of 'most memorable TD's of the yr' on the official Patriot website.

And as we can see by the play diagram, and as Deus points out, the run goes right off of RT (Vollmer). I saw many others go off RG too.

X’s and O’s: Green-Ellis’s First TD vs. the Lions, Week 12, 2010 « Musket Fire | A New England Patriots Blog

This writer must be an idiot because he dared to use the term "quickness" and "shifitiness" when describing BJGE.

I'm laughing at all these morons who think the BJGE is the "kind of player you let go"

He's the most productive, reliable, hard-nosed back we've had in 7 years.

He never fumbles. He's got a shiftiness that people seemingly don't pay attention to. Excellent vision, hits the hole hard and doesn't quit after contact.

He bounces outside much more often, and much more successfully, than most people claim. He's a decent blocker--he was used as a fullback in 2009--and his hands are getting better every season. If you pay attention, you'll notice him out on passing downs all the time, even running routes split out wide. The Steelers game is a good example of Benny successfully running routes and getting the ball as a receiver.

Benny is a huge part of one of the best passing offenses the Patriots have ever had. If he were keying the defense into our gameplan, which is the most ridiculous criticism I've heard of BJGE so far, somehow I think we would've been less productive than the #1 offense in the NFL. Because Benny is out there on the majority of our snaps.

BJ is definitely not the "one-dimensional" player that Off the Grid keeps claiming he is. Maroney was a one-dimensional player. BJ is a threat that defenses have to respect, because if they don't, he'll run them over all day. We have NOT had a back who could do that in many years.

BJGE is the kind of player who, no matter what he achieves, will always have his success attributed to someone else. He just isn't flashy or attention-grabbing. I mean, what's it going to take for these people?

He had 1,000 yards, and 13 TDs last year, averaging 4.4 ypc. If it's so easy to find just any back like that, then why is he the first one we've had in years?

If he were on another team, we'd all be asking why we didn't sign him when we had the chance.

These people will keep finding some reason to pad their egos and criticize BJGE, because that's what they've done from the minute he was signed to the team. He could post a 1400 yard season next year and they will still call him an average back.

I predict he'll be on the Patriots for many years to come. They'll re-sign him and he'll continue to start for the team.

You don't drop a proven, hard-nosed back who's never fumbled just because you "think" you found some cool dudes in the draft. None of the backs we drafted offers the combination of power, decision-making, and ball-handling that Green-Ellis has, and I'm a fan of those guys.

Last edited:
I'm laughing at all these morons who think the BJGE is the "kind of player you let go"

He's the most productive, reliable, hard-nosed back we've had in 7 years.

He never fumbles. He's got a shiftiness that people seemingly don't pay attention to. Excellent vision, hits the hole hard and doesn't quit after contact.

He bounces outside much more often, and much more successfully, than most people claim. He's a decent blocker--he was used as a fullback in 2009--and his hands are getting better every season. If you pay attention, you'll notice him out on passing downs all the time, even running routes split out wide. The Steelers game is a good example of Benny successfully running routes and getting the ball as a receiver.

Benny is a huge part of one of the best passing offenses the Patriots have ever had. If he were keying the defense into our gameplan, which is the most ridiculous criticism I've heard of BJGE so far, somehow I think we would've been less productive than the #1 offense in the NFL. Because Benny is out there on the majority of our snaps.

BJ is definitely not the "one-dimensional" player that Off the Grid keeps claiming he is. Maroney was a one-dimensional player. BJ is a threat that defenses have to respect, because if they don't, he'll run them over all day. We have NOT had a back who could do that in many years.

BJGE is the kind of player who, no matter what he achieves, will always have his success attributed to someone else. He just isn't flashy or attention-grabbing. I mean, what's it going to take for these people?

He had 1,000 yards, and 13 TDs last year, averaging 4.4 ypc. If it's so easy to find just any back like that, then why is he the first one we've had in years?

If he were on another team, we'd all be asking why we didn't sign him when we had the chance.

These people will keep finding some reason to pad their egos and criticize BJGE, because that's what they've done from the minute he was signed to the team. He could post a 1400 yard season next year and they will still call him an average back.

I predict he'll be on the Patriots for many years to come. They'll re-sign him and he'll continue to start for the team.

You don't drop a proven, hard-nosed back who's never fumbled just because you "think" you found some cool dudes in the draft. None of the backs we drafted offers the combination of power, decision-making, and ball-handling that Green-Ellis has, and I'm a fan of those guys.

"The Comeback", ladies and gentlemen!!
jester.gif

It's always amusing to hear from the helplessly dense. :D

Nobody is saying drop him. We're saying that when he becomes a free agent after the 2011 season he's going to be pretty expensive to keep and--assuming Vereen and Ridley are as good as they should be given their draft position--we'll let him go and have cheaper guys take his spot.

Also, if he's such a big part of the receiving game, (1) why only 12 catches last year? (2) why does he get taken out on third down, (3) why did the RB coach say (during the Patriots draft party) that the Pats were really looking for a three down running back?

Nobody is saying drop him. We're saying that when he becomes a free agent after the 2011 season he's going to be pretty expensive to keep and--assuming Vereen and Ridley are as good as they should be given their draft position--we'll let him go and have cheaper guys take his spot.

Also, if he's such a big part of the receiving game, (1) why only 12 catches last year? (2) why does he get taken out on third down, (3) why did the RB coach say (during the Patriots draft party) that the Pats were really looking for a three down running back?

The Patriots have always used Faulk and recently, Woodhead, in third and long situations which is what you're thinking of. If it's third and two, BJGE is definitely in there.

Didn't want to start a new thread so stuck this photo here....

Guess the rookies aren't just sitting around waiting for the strike to end..;)

262079_201685583217215_155946101124497_595746_1911177_n.jpg

Fourth time's a charm? :p

Interesting that he has Sammy Morris's #

He has a poll on his FB page to what number he should wear....

20,37,40, 45 are the choices I think.....

20 is retired, 37 is Harrison.....

He was autographing those cards for the card companies ...they are sneak previews made in May I believe......of course, maybe they are already being sold now that it's July....

Personally, I am excited to see what the Patriot's new running game looks like this season...I'm sure the other teams in the AFC East don't want to see it even better than last year's version.....Younger, stronger and faster is what I see.....healthier would be good also ! Combine that with alot of players that were wet behind the ears last year and should be faster to recognise defenses and offensive sets, and I am EXCITED to see what this revamped Patriot team can accomplish in the post season....:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back