PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BJGE better than we thought:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel oddly proud of BJGE. A testament that hard work can overcome a certain lack of natural talent. He's someone to look up to.

You're pretty much talking about our entire roster.

The RBs,QB,Welkah,a few linemen, LB's.

Only our DBs are mostly high picks and even then we had an UDFA starting...in fact i think you won't find another team that went 14-2 with so many UDFA and low round pick guys.

Last edited:
I still think they were a value/need pick as BB had to upgrade the Taylor/Morris/Faulk trio at some point....grabbing the 2 young RB's that BB liked and then sitting back for a while in the draft speaks volumes about what he thought about the value players left at that point of the draft....
I would love to see how he had his board stacked.

We'll have to disagree on this one. NE's draft (2 excellent run blocking OLs and two highly selected running backs) screams "we need to upgrade the running game" to me. I don't see Vereen and Ridley as being simply the highest ranking guys left with a dearth of talent otherwise, I see them as targets before the draft even began.

Benny is very good, but he doesn't have the speed to threaten the edges, nor is he all that proficient in the passing game. NE loves to dictate and set up the opposing team's personnel by having players who are threats to do whatever the defensive weakness is. That's why BB loves TEs. Benny is very one dimensional and it has hampered the offense at times. Notice that Benny rarely did well when the passing game was stifled.

I am absolutely certain that upgrading the starting RB position was one of NE's primary objectives this offseason and everything that has happened confirms this.

Football Outsider's system (which adjusts for strength of defense) had BJGE the 3rd rated back in rushing production (DYAR) and 2nd rated in rushing efficiency (DVOA):

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | RUNNING BACKS 2010

I'm also fond of pointing out that Woodhead was 7th in Rushing DYAR, 1st in Receiving DYAR, 2nd in Receiving DVOA. He fell 3 carries short of qualifying for the rushing leaderboard. If he had, he would have set their all-time record for rushing DVOA.

The Patriots' running game was very effective last year.

Football Outsider's system (which adjusts for strength of defense) had BJGE the 3rd rated back in rushing production (DYAR) and 2nd rated in rushing efficiency (DVOA):

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | RUNNING BACKS 2010

I'm also fond of pointing out that Woodhead was 7th in Rushing DYAR, 1st in Receiving DYAR, 2nd in Receiving DVOA. He fell 3 carries short of qualifying for the rushing leaderboard. If he had, he would have set their all-time record for rushing DVOA.

The Patriots' running game was very effective last year.

Yes, but Maroney was consistently one of the better backs by their statistics as well. I'm not trying to discredit them, just pointing out that the other players and coaches have a whole lot to do with each individual ranking.

NE's passing game has propelled their running game and it is pretty clear that BB wants rushing to be more of a stand alone asset moving forward.

Last edited:
Yes, but Maroney was consistently one of the better backs by their statistics as well. I'm not trying to discredit them, just pointing out that the other players and coaches have a whole lot to do with each individual ranking.

NE's passing game has propelled their running game and it is pretty clear that BB wants rushing to be more of a stand alone asset moving forward.

Consistent Maroney was not:

2006: 31st in DYAR, 32nd in DVOA
2007: 7th in DYAR, 6th in DVOA
2008: injured
2009: 24th, 29th.

He had one good year in the FO system -- the 2007 year -- and that year wasn't as good as Benny's.

Consistent Maroney was not:

2006: 31st in DYAR, 32nd in DVOA
2007: 7th in DYAR, 6th in DVOA
2008: injured
2009: 24th, 29th.

He had one good year in the FO system -- the 2007 year -- and that year wasn't as good as Benny's.

I must have been thinking about the success rate, where I am certain he was consistently top 10, if not top 5.

Reagrdless, I don't think anyone will contest that Benny isn't better than LoMo. I'm just saying that Benny's success had more to do with the team surrounding him, and NE's behavior in the draft suggests they agree with me.

Have always contended this.. very few negative yards and no fumbles are significant..

...And this is exactly why you want BJGE BACKING UP a more talented RB, not necessarily starting.

If this offense is going to get better, they have have a RB who can also be a big play guy. You can't just rely on steadily moving the ball down field series after series. Its just too hard. This need is made doubly important because the Pats don't have much in the way of a big play receiver threat....at least based on last season's performance. Maybe Tate/Hernandez/Price/UFA can change that THIS year, but who knows.

The beauty of Benny, is that he is what he is. You know exactly what you are going to get from him, and that is solid numbers that aren't going to hurt your team. But that doesn't mean the FO shouldn't be looking to upgrade, as they obviously are hoping to do.

I don't think the Pats have any BACKUP RB's..as it has been mentioned before, each one brings his own skillset.....The featured back went the way of Corey Dillon...With the stable of backs BB has assembled, each one does something different...yes there are overlaps and one back may just breakout of the pack as a première RB (Vereen)? , but the RBBC probably holds true this coming season also.....

I think the Patriots' age and injury issues with their RBs was already an issue in 2010. See my thread concerning which horse to put out to pasture. Sure, BB didn't address this need until 2011. But it shows that he was aware of it. The additions of Vereen and Ridley give the Pats a much needed injection of talent and youth at that position. With this extra depth at RB the Pats won't be as vulnerable to injuries in case they do happen.

BJGE and Woodhead were both pleasant surprises in the 2010 regular season but the Pats running game was not enough of a factor in the Pats playoff loss to the Jets. We put too much pressure on Brady to carry the team. Even if there's nothing wrong with BJGE and Woodhead, the new RBs bring additional dimensions to the offense that were lacking. For example Vereen is a multi-dimensional back who can catch, run, and pass-block. He's also a more explosive RB than BJGE and offers the ability to threaten the edges. Ridley is more in the mold of a pure powerback. So he gives us a better option in short yardage situations. Acquiring new RBs is not as much a knock on the one ones we do have as a sensible measure to bolster a position that has been in need of replensihment since 2010.

Last edited:
No offense to BJGE, but what does the strength of schedule have to do with individual performances? Just because the Pats faced a good to great team doesn't mean they had a good or great run defense. Just because the Pats faced an average to bad team doesn't mean they had an average to bad run defense. The Pats faced the Colts who make their strength of schedule look tougher, but they have a horrible run defense.

I still think this is a case of PFF not really getting it. They took a factor that really is irrelevant although seems relevant and tried to provide insight. I think some people here might be buying into it because it makes one of our own look really good.

No offense to BJGE, but what does the strength of schedule have to do with individual performances? Just because the Pats faced a good to great team doesn't mean they had a good or great run defense. Just because the Pats faced an average to bad team doesn't mean they had an average to bad run defense. The Pats faced the Colts who make their strength of schedule look tougher, but they have a horrible run defense.

I still think this is a case of PFF not really getting it. They took a factor that really is irrelevant although seems relevant and tried to provide insight. I think some people here might be buying into it because it makes one of our own look really good.

I thought it's adjusted to league average run-defense? if it is just strength of schedule then, lol.

My money says Vereen is the starter by the end of the year.

I agree, but I think it will be by week three if not right out of the gate. He'll be great.

I thought it's adjusted to league average run-defense? if it is just strength of schedule then, lol.

Maybe I am wrong and read it wrong, but it seems that they were doing just strength of schedule in general.

IMO this says more about the offensive line than BJGE. The Pats need to give Logan Mankins a contract extension as soon as the lockout is lifted.

...And this is exactly why you want BJGE BACKING UP a more talented RB, not necessarily starting.

If this offense is going to get better, they have have a RB who can also be a big play guy. You can't just rely on steadily moving the ball down field series after series. Its just too hard. This need is made doubly important because the Pats don't have much in the way of a big play receiver threat....at least based on last season's performance. Maybe Tate/Hernandez/Price/UFA can change that THIS year, but who knows.

The beauty of Benny, is that he is what he is. You know exactly what you are going to get from him, and that is solid numbers that aren't going to hurt your team. But that doesn't mean the FO shouldn't be looking to upgrade, as they obviously are hoping to do.

Mike Reiss: No reduced role this season for BJGE:
Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

" If Green-Ellis stays healthy and runs like he did in 2010, I don't think the Patriots will feel the urgency to take the ball out of his hands based on the other players at the position."

Last edited:
Mike Reiss: No reduced role this season for BJGE:
Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

" If Green-Ellis stays healthy and runs like he did in 2010, I don't think the Patriots will feel the urgency to take the ball out of his hands based on the other players at the position."

Mike Reiss is a great reporter, but not a very good analyst. If he were quoting Bill, I'd give this statement more credence. As it is, NE went out and drafted two RBs in the first three rounds partially because of how Benny ran in 2010.

I understand the need for youth and depth, especially after the past couple seasons, but I'll say it again - you don't draft two guys in the first three rounds unless you are looking to upgrade the starting position.

Maybe he's hoping to find the next Antoine Smith. ....

Mike Reiss is a great reporter, but not a very good analyst. If he were quoting Bill, I'd give this statement more credence. As it is, NE went out and drafted two RBs in the first three rounds partially because of how Benny ran in 2010.

No.

They drafted two RB's to replace 2 departing RB's.

Simple as that.

Man, you go on and on like a broken record.

Just how is 1000 yards, 13 TDs, and 0 fumbles, backup numbers??

IMO this says more about the offensive line than BJGE. The Pats need to give Logan Mankins a contract extension as soon as the lockout is lifted.

The big change was the TE's. Crumpler and Gronkowski were excellent run blockers and on the field together. Hernandez was a superb blocker compared to any WR, and he and Gronkowski forced defenses to worry about Brady passes even when they were in 3 TE sets.

A full year of Vollmer was a big improvement over a half year of Kaczur.

Guard play was neutral with the emergence of Conolly, who compensated for both the Mankins hold out and the inevitable Neal injury.

That said, BJGE ran well, and in his limited time Woodhead ran about as well as you can hope a scatback to run.

The two new guys serve as upgrades for weak backups last year, wuth the potential to see lots of playing time given likely fatigue and injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back