PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BJGE and running back unit thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are replacing both Morris and BJGE, then we should add two backs for the future.

I expect the Patriots to draft a 3rd down back next season and probably replace Morris and BGE

If you are replacing both Morris and BJGE, then we should add two backs for the future.

I don't know. The Pats seem content with adding backs for the present. I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced Morris and/or Taylor with veteran backs in their late 20s/early 30s.

Like I said, it seems like he never gets a fair shake on this board. Hopefully next year he'll get his chance.

PatsPsycho -
BJGE doesn't get a fair shake? You had people anointing him the next comeing of Corey Dillon and saying that Maroney would be cut in the off-season because of it.

Sorry, but BJGE had two good games last year. Against Denver (13 carries for 65 yards) and against Buffalo (26 carries for 106 yards). Beyond that, he mediocre to lousy.

BJGE is one dimensional, much more so than Maroney. BJGE has major issues catching the ball out of the backfield.

I've said this about BJGE since last year when people starting going overboard on their predictions. And, as we've seen this year, BJGE hasn't gotten a lot of carries even when the Pats were down to 3 RBs with Morris and Taylor out.

There hasn't really been a reason to use him thus far. The only game that comes to mind is the Colts game where Morris and Taylor were hurt and we're trying to nurse a double digit lead. But even then, Maroney himself could have taken more carries. Other than that, he's the 5th RB on the depth chart and there's no reason to use him unless the guys above him are out/need a breather.

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be back next year, especially if Morris isn't back. And who knows if Maroney will be resigned either. Right now the only other back signed through next season is Taylor and he's far from durable.

New England hasn't had a true featured running back since Curtis Martin. Yes, they'd acquired Corey Dillon but he soon regressed like Antowain Smith. Neither was as impressive as they were in their first season as a Patriot. Then too, they both were highly motivated to prove their former teams wrong.

I don't believe you can let Faulk walk. If he has something left in the tank, resign him to a reasonable contract. He like Troy Brown should retire as Patriots.

Taylor is a nice veteran to have if only he could remain healthy. Ditto of Morris. However, I don't feel as strongly for keeping either of them as I'm for keeping Faulk.

Here's where the conversation will getting interesting. What are the immediate futures of Maroney and Green-Ellis? I think Maroney is a complementary running back at best. That is to say, I liked the role he'd with Dillon: He was that change of pace running back to whoever is your starter. Moreover, Maroney isn't a true featured running back. His talent can tempt you... But he has done little in his career in my opinion to prove that he has staying power in a starting role. He's inconsistent and indecisive at times. Yes, injuries have derailed much of his games. Still, when he does play, his inefficiencies are his fault more so than any problems you may have with the offensive line play. Because Morris and Faulk seem to produce behind this same offensive line.

Ideally, you don't want him in that role, a starter. You would prefer to have a regular (durable) starter. Hopefully, that starter will come out of next year's draft.

It amazes me who was selected after Maroney from the 2006 draft. Of these, Maroney is the only one who's yet to reach a thousand yards in his career at least once, and White was eventually upended by a better running back in Chris Johnson. That's what I'll like to happen for New England. They draft an eventual stud out of the 2010 draft at the position.

Round 1

DeAngelo Williams
Joseph Addai

Round 2

LenDale White
Maurice Jones-Drew

The problem with BJGE is he's on the right team at the wrong time. BJGE could produce for us (don't think he could EVER be a feature back...but he could produce) if it wasn't for all the people above him.

But

Morris and Faulk are getting older. When they get too old would be a perfect time for BJGE to be here and provide some carries. But right now, he's simply on the team at the wrong time.

First, I think Maroney could definitly be a feature back, he improves with more carries.

Second, Faulk should definitly be on the team next year as well as a drafted 3rd down back that can also help balance the load with whomever is the main R next year, whether it is Maroney or somebody else.

Third, The Patriots will probably get rid of Morris and pick up some other vets to compete for the main spot.

The problem with BJE is that he can't bee trusted to pass protect, doesn't have reliable hands and he doesn't have anything close to resembling breakaway speed.

Maroney has decent hands is a decent pass protector and is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back