DE-Seymour
OLB-Thomas
OLB-Vrabel
MLB-Mayo
CB-Hobbs
CB-Wheately, Whilite, FA, draft
SS-Merriweather
FS-FA, Draft, Rodney?

I don't think it would be all that impressive. Vrable isn't nearly fast enough to play outside in a 4-3, and Thomas is borderline. Seymour and Warren aren't as good pass rushers as the typical 4-3 DEs.

They'd be hellish against the run though.

I don't think it would be all that impressive. Vrable isn't nearly fast enough to play outside in a 4-3, and Thomas is borderline. Seymour and Warren aren't as good pass rushers as the typical 4-3 DEs.

They'd be hellish against the run though.

You have to remember that Warren and Seymour are currently playing "two gap" which means they are responcible for the run from outside shoulder of the guard to the tackle, which prohibits the all out pass rush. This would change in a 4-3. The Pats were a 4-3 defense in 2001.

You have to remember that Warren and Seymour are currently playing "two gap" which means they are responcible for the run from outside shoulder of the guard to the tackle, which prohibits the all out pass rush. This would change in a 4-3. The Pats were a 4-3 defense in 2001.

Oh, I know the responsibilities are different. I just don't think either one of them is fast enough to be any better than good ends in a 4-3. Right now, they're both elite.

Again, the point of my hypothetical was not whether Raji will actually fall to us, but rather, IF he somehow fell, he would be BVA. I think he might be. The only defensive players I could see being clearly better value would be Aaron Curry and Malcolm Jenkins, both of whom will go top 10 (others can create their own hypothetical about them). Orapko and Brown might be better need picks, but 3-4 OLB conversionscan be found in round 2, and I'm not sure they would be better value. A top OL might do it.

I think BB could get very creative with Raji, and that it would open up a lot of possibilities.

Again, the point of my hypothetical was not whether Raji will actually fall to us, but rather, IF he somehow fell, he would be BVA. I think he might be. The only defensive players I could see being clearly better value would be Aaron Curry and Malcolm Jenkins, both of whom will go top 10 (others can create their own hypothetical about them). Orapko and Brown might be better need picks, but 3-4 OLB conversionscan be found in round 2, and I'm not sure they would be better value. A top OL might do it.

I think BB could get very creative with Raji, and that it would open up a lot of possibilities.

I think that you are right, IF he fell to #23, I think that BB would take him in a minute.

In ESPN's Draft Buzz column(sorry, no link atm) Todd McShay said Raji has seperated himself from all the other D and O linemen there and has been flat out dominant. He expects him to go in the top 5 now. Unfortunately I think we can end this conversation about "hypothetically" getting him unless Cassell brings in a very high first rounder.

In ESPN's Draft Buzz column(sorry, no link atm) Todd McShay said Raji has seperated himself from all the other D and O linemen there and has been flat out dominant. He expects him to go in the top 5 now. Unfortunately I think we can end this conversation about "hypothetically" getting him unless Cassell brings in a very high first rounder.

That may well be true, but you're assuming that everyone acts rationally, which by no means is the case when it comes to NFL GMs and owners (*cough* Ted Ginn *cough*).

They are as different as different can be, but I love both BC DTs.

Was it my imagination or did the dline feature much more rotation towards the end of last year? Maybe it was injuries, or situational football, or maybe they were just showing up more than usual, but seemingly, Wright, Green, and Smith all got a heck of a lot of playing time.

Brace could be gotten on the second day I think, since he doesn't carry nearly the hype of Raji who is wowing people at the Senior Bowl practices. I think a backup DT is important but it's not something you invest a 1st round pick in UNLESS Wilfork's departure is imminent. And I believe we'll keep him around.

That may well be true, but you're assuming that everyone acts rationally, which by no means is the case when it comes to NFL GMs and owners (*cough* Ted Ginn *cough*).

you're absolutely right, and Big Vince Wilfork did fall to the pats at #21. Still, that would seem to be alot of dumb GM's for 22 to pass on him.

posted by
mayoclinic

I understand, but it's nice to think of hypotheticals. Imagine a scenario like this:

- Get pick 97 in the draft as compensation for Asante Samuel and a 4th round comp for Randall Gay
- Resign FAs Mike Wright (DT.DE), James Sanders (S) and Lewis Sanders (S/CB)
- Sign as UFAs: Karlos Dansby (ILB/OLB), Sean Jones (S), Jabari Greer (CB)
- Franchise Cassel and trade him to Tampa Bay for 1(19) + conditional 2010 pick
-Draft (first 4 rounds):
1(19) BJ Raji, DT Boston College 6'2" 334#
1(23) Best available CB/S prospect: Sean Smith, William Moore, DJ Moore, or Alphonso Smith depending on availability, need, and BB's preference
2(47) Connor Barwin DE/LB Cincinnati 6'4, 255# 4.64
3(57) William Beatty OT Connecticut 6'6" 300# 5.10
3(87) Trevor Canfield OG Cincinnati 6'3" 315# 5.15
3(97) Devin Moore RB Wyoming 5'10" 191# 4.40
4(122) Best available TE or WR (Jarrett Dillard, Brian Robiskie, etc.)
4(132) Kevin Huber P Cinncinati 6'1" 220# 4.85

I would love this draft and it addresses all our needs but BB always surprises us.

Wait a second, Box...what happened to your WR dreams? :halo:
Slightly lower "need" than LB, and even CB.
sad-smiley-345.gif

B.J. Raji was just shown from an interview he did with NFLN at the Senior Bowl responding to Mike Mayock calling him out. One of the more impressive interviews I've seen, he's really articulate and would be an excellent player spokesman for whichever team gets him.

I like him as more of a 3-4 end, but with his size he would be so versatile for us.
It is NOT going to happen though, with his value SKYROCKETING.

You can see why his brother can play basketball for BC when you see his athleticism for a 320 pounder.

Last edited:
maybe he will fall in the draft like Wilfork did, and we can have 2 wilfork type players instead of 1. im all for that

I'd rather go with Brace later on in the draft. Raji won't last till #23 with this kind of hype anyways.

We need to consider everyone as we con't know where we'll be picking. One intriguing thing about Raji is we have a legit 4-3 MLB now. I don't think we would switch to a 4-3 but as oppsed to last offseason playing more is an option as we have Mayo who can run. Raji would give us depth behind Wilfork, a replacement option if it comes to that but also would give us the choice to play a line of Warren-Raji-Wilfork-Seymour (wow) with Vrabel-Mayo-Thomas behind them when the matchup dictates.

We need to consider everyone as we con't know where we'll be picking. One intriguing thing about Raji is we have a legit 4-3 MLB now. I don't think we would switch to a 4-3 but as oppsed to last offseason playing more is an option as we have Mayo who can run. Raji would give us depth behind Wilfork, a replacement option if it comes to that but also would give us the choice to play a line of Warren-Raji-Wilfork-Seymour (wow) with Vrabel-Mayo-Thomas behind them when the matchup dictates.

Oh man, mock-line-up's with this guy would be a blast!

some kind of 4-5-2, 4-2-5.... *shivers*

As more and more teams switch to the 3-4 (now Denver and Green Bay joining New England, Pittsburgh, Miami, Dallas, San Diego, Arizona, San Francisco, and Cleveland...with New York and Kansas City TBD), and the competition for such players in the draft and free agency getting tougher, it wouldn't surprise me to see Belichick switch to a 4-3 base in the near future. As soon as those type of players hit the sweet spot in value and availability, the switch will be thrown. You don't get to be a defensive genius without being able to adapt to conditions. BB is certainly not a one-trick pony.

Hype means nothing, Hype is for fans. I remember Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn having a lot of hype too, means nothing when the guys calling the shots make their decision.

We don't need Raji, but he would be a welcomed addition to the Dline where he could spell both the DE's and NT's. That would make Jarvis Green expendable.

I'm alset with resigning James Sanders, he's a mediocre player at best, not what we need at SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back