PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bizarre hold Belichick has on the Cleveland Browns…20 years after last playof...

Re: Bizarre hold Belichick has on the Cleveland Browns…20 years after last playoff wi

I just think it's bizarre that his presence has been such a presence in Cleveland ever since he left.

I would respectfully disagree (except for unhappy fans). His presence, in the form of Ozzie Newsome, seems more apparent in Baltimore.

True that a few coaches ended up there, but i still think that was where opportunities were because they stink. Maybe the owners were trying to rub off some Belichick magic? I suppose.

Most of those links are a year old or more. Only two are current.

Re: Bizarre hold Belichick has on the Cleveland Browns…20 years after last playoff wi

The Browns stink. It has nothing to do with BB. It may have something to do with Art Modell.

yeah..I sure don't gotta go to Mo's....

Most of those links are a year old or more. Only two are current.

That was the first page of google I'm sure there are others more current. Lombardi is a fan of Mallett reportedly or at least he was. I think there would be interest.

To be honest I think that Mallett and McDaniels would be a very entertaining watch. Mallett has a huge arm which would pair well with Gordon and even Little, he also has experience with tight ends and slot receivers being big parts of an offense from his time here so he could make good use of Cameron and Bess.

That was the first page of google I'm sure there are others more current. Lombardi is a fan of Mallett reportedly or at least he was. I think there would be interest.

To be honest I think that Mallett and McDaniels would be a very entertaining watch. Mallett has a huge arm which would pair well with Gordon and even Little, he also has experience with tight ends and slot receivers being big parts of an offense from his time here so he could make good use of Cameron and Bess.

I guess you can connect the dots but I just don't see them making a trade and giving up a 2nd, let alone a 1st, for Mallett. I'd like to get a decent return for him if we could get something of value but is whatever we get from the Browns better than having an 4th year QB whose already been in, and is familiar with, our system?
What would that be in terms of a draft pick?

This article is a good read. It is interesting how thing have connected to Belichick for 2 decades.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&r=17&post_id=26211

I didn't know the owner intentionally tried to recreate the magic. I still think Romeo and Ratfredo would have taken better jobs if they could have. The Browns management has royally sucked for a while.

Lombardi has been with quite a few teams since the Browns, too.

It's interesting that Belichick's coaching tree has mostly been a bust, while Parcells has been incredible.

Of course, I'd rather have the great coach who wants stability and consensus over the guy who chooses brilliant guys who will challenge him because he likes the give and take (and somebody else to do the work, I guess).

What damn good does it do us to have a former coach do well elsewhere? None!

Parcells progeny have to be the best ever, I'm guessing.

I didn't know the owner intentionally tried to recreate the magic. I still think Romeo and Ratfredo would have taken better jobs if they could have. The Browns management has royally sucked for a while.

It's interesting that Belichick's coaching tree has mostly been a bust, while Parcells has been incredible.

Of course, I'd rather have the great coach who wants stability and consensus over the guy who chooses brilliant guys who will challenge him because he likes the give and take (and somebody else to do the work, I guess).

Arguably it's better for us if they fail. Mangina or Romeo or JM succeeding could/would have had a direct negative effect on the Patriots success.

As to why BB's tree has had much less success? IMHO it has to do with BB the man being a freak of nature. An almost bizarre ability to be machine like in method and action (I think it was Brady who said "BB is the most consistent person I have ever known'). Others trying to mimic this coaching style will probably have a hard time succeeding with it if they don't possess a similar robotic ability. That's my guess......

The Browns stink. It has nothing to do with BB. It may have something to do with Art Modell.
Well ... duh ... that's why it's the dog pound ... one stinky kennel of a fandom. :p

I guess you can connect the dots but I just don't see them making a trade and giving up a 2nd, let alone a 1st, for Mallett. I'd like to get a decent return for him if we could get something of value but is whatever we get from the Browns better than having an 4th year QB whose already been in, and is familiar with, our system?
What would that be in terms of a draft pick?

The biggest question up in the air is this:

Who would give up a 2nd round pick instead of just selecting a QB in the draft and paying them peanuts on a cheap, rookie deal?

If any team gives up a 2nd round pick, they are obviously going to want to secure Mallett's services for the future. It's not going to just be a one-year gamble, right? Therefore, they'd have to sign Mallett to a longer term contract extension, since he'll be in the final year before hitting free agency next Feb/March.

Soooo.....what would Mallett and the "new" team be able to agree to, monetary wise on this new contract? I'm VERY interested in the answer to this question, as I have a hard time coming up with much of a prediction myself.

It could seriously be anywhere from 2 million a year (as a backup) all the way to 10-12 million a year as a potential starter. There's an enormous grey area to this equation that many people seem to be forgetting about, and it's a very big obstacle when attempting to make a deal in my opinion. Obviously, no one is going to part with a high 2nd round draft pick for a backup QB, so we'll have to assume the higher end of the scale for a starter's range of salary.

If CLE would be dumb enough to make a decision like this, they deserve to suck for many years to come.

I think the biggest failures were RAC, Weiss, and JMD. Although I thought Mangini did an ok job at NYJ and wasn't given enough time in Cleveland.

In college, however, Saban, Ferentz, and the job BO'B did to bring Penn State back have been excellent.

I grew up a Cleveland Browns fan, the other choice may have been the Giants, but they were in NY the same town as the Yankees... then came the Patriots.

After Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly this franchise has been mired in mediocrity... so BB cannot take all of the blame..

In their storied history they are 510 wins, 441 losses and 13 ties...

Huh? What are now the Browns, was an expansion team. The type of team that coaches get stuck with for their first jobs or fired without much success, which explains Crennel and Mangini more than any connection with Belichick's Browns, which became the Ravens.

Ernie Adams was with BB on the Browns/Ravens. Daboll was with the expansion Browns with Mangini after he was fired due to the Jets collapse, because what other jobs was he being offered?

The Browns werent expansion team.

They had an expansion draft, but had retained all of their history, trophies, team colors knowing that the NFL Browns would resume in 4 years after being deactivated.

Makes no sense.

The Browns are worse since Modell left Cleveland. Under Modells 35 years of ownership, the Browns has 11 losing seasons and made the post season 17 times.

The Browns has some great teams under Modell.

Cleveland Browns Team Encyclopedia - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Art Modell completely screwed the fans, coaching staff and players in 1994 after refusing to participate in the city's master plan which wound up building Jacobs Field. Belichick and his band of future NFL coaches and GMs had the team on the right track but were derailed by the announcement of "The Move."

The current buffoonery by Jimmy Haslam, Joe Banner (who looks a lot like Shemp) and Michael Lombardi is akin to the years in the wilderness when the Red Sox were run by the likes of Buddy Leroux and Haywood Sullivan.

I think the notion of a curse is legitimate if not real. If Belichck can morph a 7th round draft pick QB from Kent State to become a 100-catch NFL receiver, I have no doubt he can cast a spell to send a franchise that fired him into several decades of futility, suffering and anguish.

Attachments

• large_belichick_browns0203.jpg
    large_belichick_browns0203.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 20

That would only be true if they moved the entire city of Cleveland to Baltimore. Basically every NFL team is as different as the Browns now from 20 years ago whether they're expansion teams or not.

This is a great topic for discussion that has probably been had here long before I arrived. But...

To me each case is different, but the city seems to get my vote.
When I think Cleveland I think Jim Brown and the Browns even though they're technically in Baltimore.
When I think Baltimore I think Johnny Unitas and the Colts even though they're technically in Indy and wearing the same uniform.
When I think Houston I think Warren Moon and the Oilers even though technically they're somewhere else and another team is in Houston.

I'm not sure I buy the "Coaching Tree" thing. It seems people are HC types or they are not. Can we measure how much an assistant took away from their HC? Isn't it possible an assistant always planned to be different from their HC? Again, I question the tree thing.

As far as RAC and Weis, couldn't a case be made that they are from the Parcells tree? They worked under HC Parcells longer than they did under HC BB.

I'm not sure I buy the "Coaching Tree" thing. It seems people are HC types or they are not. Can we measure how much an assistant took away from their HC? Isn't it possible an assistant always planned to be different from their HC? Again, I question the tree thing.

As far as RAC and Weis, couldn't a case be made that they are from the Parcells tree? They worked under HC Parcells longer than they did under HC BB.

I'll try to clarify. RAC is from the Parcells coaching tree. He is also from the BB coaching tree as he served directly for both coaches.

However, I don't think a coach like Bill O'Brien or Josh McDaniels is part of the Parcells coaching tree. I mean, maybe you can make a case(if you want to get all Kevin Bacon on this) but because they never worked directly for Tuna I don't think so...

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back